The 2010-2011 NBA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You watchin right now?

For this little month long stretch without Boozer, I feel like Derrick needs to be on the court practically the entire game.

We were fine early in the game when he was in, he was making spectacular drives, he goes out, we start getting run a bit, he comes back, now we're right back in it.

Derrick needs to play something like 45 minutes a game, no joke. If foul trouble permits it.

EDIT: 20 points in the first half, no big deal.

Yes! I am happy with the D on Durant so far. I also love love love Noah.

I also love love love Noah.

Dude, Joakim is a fucking monster. I like the chemistry he has on the court with Taj Gibson, too. For a little while there those two were just eating the Thunder's frontcourt for dinner. This team is fun to watch.

Dude, Joakim is a fucking monster. I like the chemistry he has on the court with Taj Gibson, too. For a little while there those two were just eating the Thunder's frontcourt for dinner. This team is fun to watch.

Yeah man. This team is exciting to me. The thing is, I actually really like this team. I mean, I like the players on this team and how they fit. It's been a while since I could say that 100%. When Boozer comes back, he should be a piece that is missing tonight, someone to score in the paint.

Yeah, this team is friggin sweet!

I've always been impressed with Taj. Consistent player...kind of the opposite of Tyrus Thomas. See what I mean? I like these players.

Eh, played three and a half good quarters. Got completely outplayed late in the fourth.

Russell Westbrook is a stud.

How do the Celtics beat the Heat and then lose to a LeBron-less Cavs?

Celtics are the most popular team in Cleveland right now, beating Miami and then losing to the Cavs, Cleveland fans love the Celts.

Back to backs are always gonna be iffy with an aging team (thats why they were able to succeed in the playoffs, plenty of off days), but last night they played poorly offensively just like they did against Miami, way too many turnovers. The difference is they didn't clamp down on Cleveland defensively like they did Miami, and Cleveland has a far more balanced and deeper team than Miami, 6 guys scored in double figures. Miami had 2 double figure scorers.

Celts like other teams aren't quite in form yet, offense is struggling holding on to the ball.

The Cavs impressed me last night, especially because they got down by 11 in the 3rd quarter and didn't pack it in. I know it's only one win against an aging team(a GREAT aging team) who played an emotional game the night before. But if you believe the 'talking heads" (some who predict the Cavs will only win 12 games this year), the Cavs shouldn't beat the Celts even when they play back to back games.

Yes, the Cavs don't have a superstar but they do have some decent/good players who have become used to winning and know how to win. On top of that I think they now have a coach who can actually coach. I'll wait for headache's assessment of Byron Scott before I get too excited though. :)

With all that said, I still am a realist and think the Cavs will win between 30 and 40 games this year. But last night was fun and as a Cleveland sports fan you have to take what you can get.

Take care everybody.

m
e

12 games is an absurd prediction, more absurd than 74 for My Mammy.
Reports last night on the Celts local broadcast were that Cleveland suprpised some teams in the exhibition games by being vastly better conditioned than their opponents, something Scott emphasized...that will help them. I'd say 34 wins is about right, but no playoffs.

I still earnestly believe that the Cavs will wind up in the seven or eight seed. They have plenty of speed and outside shooting, but the bigger teams are going to give them severe problems.

As for last night, the Celtics really have nothing about which to be concerned. It's incredibly difficult to play back-to-back nights in different cities, especially this early in the season.

The worry that I have is the same idea. I think it will be a lot like the Cavs of the last few years. Headache is exactly right. Unless LeBron works hard to learn a system that is not 1 on 1 ball where other stand and watch, good teams will beat him and his teammates. That's the beauty of basketball, it's a team game. Someone has to teach this idea to LeBron, but nobody has. However, LeBron will have to be willing to learn, and I wonder if that would ever happen.

what most people forget is that michael jordan was not very well liked in the NBA for his first few years by veterans in the league and basketball "purists" who thought he was all flash, a guy more concerned about selling sneakers and putting up huge numbers than playing real basketball, getting his teammates involved, and winning championships. michael and the jordanaires. heck, the first air jordans were actually banned by the NBA.

then phil jackson came along. phil was able to convince jordan to trust his teammates. he still "got his," but did it as part of a team. only then did he start to win titles and cement his legacy as the GOAT.

lebron hasn't found his phil jackson yet... either because that person hasn't stepped out of the front office and onto the sidelines shown up yet, or lebron isn't willing to listen yet.

i think it's partially both.... paul silas is still the best coach he's had so far, but i don't know if lebron is willing to "buy in" to criticism just yet. heck, just look at how he mocks barkley in his commercial. what, exactly, did barkley say this offseason that was wrong? lebron just doesn't want to hear it.

kobe went through it as well. read phil's book "the last season." he KILLS kobe in that book for his shitty, me-first attitude. kobe figured it out. lebron hasn't yet.

had a men's league game myself yesterday so i missed the entire knicks game. kinda disappointing, but at least they won.

i did catch the end of oklahoma city-chicago and the first half of portland-clippers...

it's too early to judge chicago because of the boozer injury. i'm still worried about who gets the last shot for them, but once boozer is there they should be much, much better. rose certainly can't be jacking up 30+ shots a game though...

as for oklahoma city... i love them. durant is phenomenal. the entire culture around the team is just terrific.

and now for the most important development of the night last night...

i don't know what'll happen as far as the CBA goes, but you can mark it down right now... many a team will be clearing cap space in a few years to get a shot at Blake Griffin.

20 and 14 your first time out? john wall's gonna need one hell of a season to beat out blake for rookie of the year.

YouTube - Blake Griffin ridiculous alley-oop slam against Portland

the best thing about blake's first 2 points here is that he landed very awkwardly on the knee that he injured last year, and it did not effect him one bit. kid's an absolute stud.

I'm so happy LeBrick is on my fantasy team and averaging more turnovers than rbs/ast so far this season. :happy:

see this baffles me about orlando... we're 4 minutes into their first game and quentin richardson has more touches in the post than dwight howard, who has zero shot attempts so far.

after all this talk about how howard spent the entire offseason working with olajuwon on post moves, orlando has yet to give their best player the ball on the block.

baffling. i know if the guy in the suit on orlando's bench had gone 4+ minutes into a game without a touch, john starks might not be amongst the living today.

i can't really sum up john wall's performance from last night better than how basketbawful did, so i'll just quote them.

John Wall:I'll say this much: The kid's a shooter. And by "shooter" I don't mean that Wall provides consistent, high-percentage, long-range jump shooting. I mean he apparently loves shooting like Eddy Curry loves Twinkies. Wall jacked up 11 of his team's first 24 shot attempts. He it three of 'em. Wall -- who, I should remind you, is Washington's starting point guard -- finished 6-for-19 on a night in which none of his teammates attempted more than nine shots.

The best part? Wall's first NBA points came off a goal tend by Brandon Bass.

But hey, I guess that's what happens when rookies are mentored by Gilbert Arenas...

what most people forget is that michael jordan was not very well liked in the NBA for his first few years by veterans in the league and basketball "purists" who thought he was all flash, a guy more concerned about selling sneakers and putting up huge numbers than playing real basketball, getting his teammates involved, and winning championships. michael and the jordanaires. heck, the first air jordans were actually banned by the NBA.

then phil jackson came along. phil was able to convince jordan to trust his teammates. he still "got his," but did it as part of a team. only then did he start to win titles and cement his legacy as the GOAT.

lebron hasn't found his phil jackson yet... either because that person hasn't stepped out of the front office and onto the sidelines shown up yet, or lebron isn't willing to listen yet.

i think it's partially both.... paul silas is still the best coach he's had so far, but i don't know if lebron is willing to "buy in" to criticism just yet. heck, just look at how he mocks barkley in his commercial. what, exactly, did barkley say this offseason that was wrong? lebron just doesn't want to hear it.

kobe went through it as well. read phil's book "the last season." he KILLS kobe in that book for his shitty, me-first attitude. kobe figured it out. lebron hasn't yet.

I want to post a couple of opinions, but they may not be great since I'm really tired.

First, I know people didn't like Jordan for all those reasons. In fact, even after he "figured it out", people still hated Jordan because of his elitist attitude. He was better than everyone, and he knew it...and he made sure everyone knew it. Still, I think everyone could see he had changed his game, and the results brought in championships. The fact that people still hate Jordan for the type of person he was is why I speak carefully when I bring up the next opinion.

I am going to argue that Kobe still really hadn't figured it all out until last year. I don't know if Kobe really knew how to be a vocal leader without belittling his teammates. But when Gasol came to the Lakers, Kobe quickly realized that he had another star who knew what he was doing. And Pau fits in their system perfectly. I think it took those two working together to get Kobe to really understand how to rely on a teammate.

It would have been interesting to see what Cavs would be like right now if LeBron had stayed in Cleveland and Byron Scott was coach. Better yet...if Izzo had left Michigan State to coach LeBron. You're absolutely right. LeBron hasn't had a coach who teaches him a system and can prove it's value.

I really do think LeBron could figure it out. But, he has a huge, HUGE ego in his way. I think the Heat need to get a little embarrassed this season...perhaps lose in the first round to like New York or something. Then maybe this new big three will step off the stage with the flashing lights and realize that as good as they think they are, they need more than each other to win.

I just wish LeBron would show some humility in all this, rather than have a pity party for himself and throw blame all around. That is what rubs me the wrong way with him.

Edit: I didn't forget that Shaq was Kobe's teammate at one point.

So, this guy in my fantasy league has LeBron on his team. But he hates the Heat. So he traded LeBron to someone else in the league for Andre Iguodala. In this league, managers get to vote against trades if they feel that a particular trade is too lopsided. I was under the impression that anyone can vote and if the no votes outweigh the yes votes, then the trade is vetoed. So I voted against the trade...but it was immediately vetoed, so I guess you only need one vote against a trade to veto it. So now this guy is going to know that somebody(me) stopped him getting LeBron for Iggy.

Did I do the right thing? Or should I not have interfered?

Voting isn't always equal.

If the original settings permitted it, the commisioner of the league has overall power to veto a trade (but not pass it).

I dont know if there is a 1 vote veto setting, but if that is indeed true, you still did the right thing. He doesnt need to be an asshole and throw off the competition just because he doesnt like the MVP from last year.

There's a difference between throwing off the competition and losing a trade. LeBron's statistical versatility is unparalleled in terms of fantasy sports.

Oh and by the way, 50 assists in his first 3 games.
Enough talk about Chris Paul or Deron Williams or Steve Nash being the best point guard in the NBA.

fantasy basketball... meh. not a fan.

lebitch seems to have adopted the "i'm a point guard" role after the boston game.. which is what he always should have been in the first place.

they played very well against orlando. have to give it to them on that one. that said i'm way, way, way down on orlando this year. dwight howard doesn't get the ball enough at all. if they go more than 3 possessions without howard touching the ball then the hedgehog should put whoever's running the point on the bench. if they go 5 or more possessions without howard touching the ball then the hedgehog should be removed from the arena by security and banished back to brockport.

they sometimes go minutes at a time where howard never touches the ball on offense. that's just ridiculous, especially now that it looks as if howard really has improved his post moves.

the idea of surrounding dwight howard with shooters was to make the inside out game that much harder to defend... but, ya know, the ball needs to go inside before it can go outside. it seems that orlando just jacks threes all game long without trying to penetrate first. it's incredibly frustrating to watch.

When you have a player who's supposed to be able to create his own shot and drive to the basket, but finds every way to avoid contact, then you're also fucked. Yes, I'm talking about Vince Carter.

Agreed on everything that you said, Headache. Their offense thrives on ball movement and spacing, which was totally disrupted by Miami's defense the other night. Passers seem to have a hard time getting Dwight the ball in the post and when that happens, the offense stagnates and they end up taking terrible jump shots/3s. Nelson gets tentative, Lewis doesn't pass the 3-point line, Carter settles for off-balance jumpers... it's a mess. They're a team that has a very obvious weakness, but I feel like their execution could overcome that against any team without an efficient defense like Boston or now possibly Miami.

That being said, I do like that Bass is getting more playing time at the 4. That along with Richardson's post-up abilities at the 3 and Duhon's athleticism at the point and off-guard strengthen the bench more than Barnes and Williams delivered last year. Redick and Gortat could be starters on about 10 other teams in the league. Pietrus is a wild card and I miss his crazy hair.

it shouldn't be that difficult to get Howard the ball, especially now that they have another viable big on the floor with him at the same time in Bass.

vince carter continues to be a massive mistake for this tea. i'm not saying hedo would have been any better, but vince wasn't the answer. he's just a waste of space really. orlando should do everything in their power to put themselves in position to make a run at either paul or williams. heck, i'd even take a run at an aging nash if i were them. they just need somebody who's going to make better decisions with the ball and get that offense moving in the right decision.

they should be much better than they are.

They absolutely need Chris Paul or someone who can generate offense in the same way that Hedo used to. Carter's contract's expiring (with a team option after this year), so maybe they can make a run at someone in the near future.

i wonder if they could swing a deal with carter's expiring at the trade deadline if either utah or new orleans is way out of it. what's their draft pick situation? have they traded away a bunch?

i wonder if phoenix falls out of contention if they'd consider dealing nash... would you take back hedo's god awful contract if it meant bringing in nash and getting rid of carter, a young player like ryan anderson maybe, and some picks? or would you rather wait it out and hope for a shot at a paul or williams?

I think that they own both of their picks this year and the next.

Nash seems like a short term solution, but if they believe that their window is only 1 or 2 years, then I'd go for it, even if it meant taking Hedo's deal. I would rather swing for the fences with Paul or Williams.

The deal for Paul that nearly happened this summer was:

Carter, Nelson, Anderson and a 1st-round pick for Paul, Okafor and Posey. I would've done that in a split second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom