The Final Countdown - U2 at Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
closer-the-silence-of-the-lambs.gif

It's great advice at any time, but now seems like the time to leave the batshit insanity of the FB group. Spoilers may not be posted openly, but people will then comment on spoilers whilst simultaneously giving away the spoiler because they can't think about how not to. So yeah, time to leave if you've not already been kicked out.

Or you could go out in a blaze of glory?

It's great advice at any time, but now seems like the time to leave the batshit insanity of the FB group. Spoilers may not be posted openly, but people will then comment on spoilers whilst simultaneously giving away the spoiler because they can't think about how not to. So yeah, time to leave if you've not already been kicked out.

Or you could go out in a blaze of glory?
Oh I muted that place yesterday. I still get notifications from some old posts but otherwise I'm relying on you all to being the foods as far as GA drama.

I also know full well that some drunkard will start blabbering about the setlist at some point prior to Friday night, but that's a chance I'm going to have to take.

Another reminder to please please please use spoiler tags on any possible news leaking out of rehearsal. Even if it comes from Johnny Wang.

I haven’t understood this reference for the whole time. Either it’s a real person I don’t know or inside joke or an old member who was a know it all. Or some Facebook leak guy.

Also can I get court jester next to my name like you’ve got the king symbol.

I'll give the line runners this... it's not their fault.

It's the band's fault. They allowed this to fester for decades now.

The venue has put out an official policy. That should be that. The band stepping in and acknowledging the fans and their list, which we know they'll do, SEEMS like an admirable thing to do, but in reality it's screwing over just as many fans as it's helping. Anyone who follows the official directions from the venue are going to get hosed.

If the band wants people to follow the fan list? Cool. Fine. Have THE BAND make it public, and work with the venue to make sure everyone with GA has an equal chance, if they do choose.

This, but also as someone who just shows up and participates in *whatever the structure is for lining up, official or not, I think the “secrecy” trope is a bit tired now.

Anyone savvy enough to be on a U2 fan forum griping about the lineup, is easily savvy enough to network with other fans and figure the damn thing out. It’s really not that hard and the info is always out there. To anyone griping about not being in the allegedly “secret” top 10, I only say: really?? It bugs you that much? You really needed to be #1? Feels like the entitlement runs both ways…it’s a bit richly ironic

There’s always gonna be a small handful who will try to game any system, official or not, to get their way. They’re a bit sad, but once inside the venue any perceived advantage they may believe themselves to have achieved quickly evaporates cause 1. There’s a ton of rail/prime spots 2. Most of us don’t truly care about specific said prime spot and 3, in my own personal case lol, I am faster than most of em anyways lol. And 4 - sorry hun/mate:
Bono’s not pulling ya onstage this time around.

Ps. I more often than not fall into the not really caring category lol

Actual rehearsal spoilers below, not a joke, so don't open if you don't want to see them!

These are coming off my alma mater U2start, but from someone I don't have any reason to necessarily doubt over a few years of being familiar with them.

Sunday Bloody Sunday (SOS and standard versions rehearsed)
With or Without You (Rehearsed in a blend of Bono's book tour version / SOS version)
Walk On (Not confirmed to be Ukraine but based on the rest of the rehearsals I'd say its safe to assume)
Every Breaking Wave
If God Will Send His Angels
Stuck in a Moment
Ordinary Love
Invisible
I Still Haven't Found (SOS)
Pride (SOS)

The only ones the source specifically said "acoustic" for was SBS, WOWY, ISHF, and Pride, but based on the list of SOS songs above, I'd be shocked if they weren't all in that arrangement.

I also highly doubt this is a full set of the show since Gavin just made the quote about the fear of information overload; I would assume these will be a grab bag of "E-stage rotations"

Some exciting stuff but a lot of conjecture!

I saw that as well @88mph....

I guess with SOS and Bono's book its inevitable we'd see some of them, but I'd be quite happy not to hear some of those in any arrangement (SBS, Walk On, Still Haven't Found, Pride) for this sort of show.

Its a minor gripe and one I often have when I start to see setlist from tours - I know when I hear them in person they'll be amazing, but I've heard them enough over the years.

I do wonder if the acoustic ones will be rotating - 2 from a list of 4 per night or something.

I've been on a mild, but consistent high ever since seeing
If God Will Send His Angels on the list...the SOS version is on par with the original for me, so the rest of the list is just fluff.
If they play that and AB, I've got what I need.

You'll see *maybe* 2 or 3 of those acoustic ones each show.. highly doubt they are gonna go that quiet for any significant amount of time in the set.

The Italian article that sparked this stated that these are rumoured to be alternates, not played every show

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll see *maybe* 2 or 3 of those acoustic ones each show.. highly doubt they are gonna go that quiet for any significant amount of time in the set.

The Italian article that sparked this stated that these are rumoured to be alternates, not played every show

Exactly what I said in the spoiler ;)

Actual rehearsal spoilers below, not a joke, so don't open if you don't want to see them!

These are coming off my alma mater U2start, but from someone I don't have any reason to necessarily doubt over a few years of being familiar with them.

With or Without You (Rehearsed in a blend of Bono's book tour version / SOS version)

Walk On (Not confirmed to be Ukraine but based on the rest of the rehearsals I'd say its safe to assume)

Every Breaking Wave

Stuck in a Moment

Ordinary Love

Invisible

Pride (SOS)

The only ones the source specifically said "acoustic" for was SBS, WOWY, ISHF, and Pride, but based on the list of SOS songs above, I'd be shocked if they weren't all in that arrangement.

I also highly doubt this is a full set of the show since Gavin just made the quote about the fear of information overload; I would assume these will be a grab bag of "E-stage rotations"

I guess it’s not entirely out of the question that there will be a SOS section in the show, with songs rotating in and out throughout the residency as you say. That should only take up 2 or 3 spots in the setlist, max.

Everything else should be full band and electric. It’s what the hits and Achtung Baby deserve - not watered down arrangements similar to SOS. We already got a semi-acoustic Sunday Bloody Sunday on the i+e/e+i tours. That’s enough. :lol:

I can't believe that U2 may play some U2 songs that we've heard of!

Every Breaking Wave
Stuck in a Moment
Ordinary Love
Invisible
Pride (SOS)

This makes a lot of sense to me. Only thing a bit surprising is

Pride. Since the SOS arrangement in particular is so different, I'd think it'd be too much of a hassle to only play occasionally, but what do I know about concert rehearsing, pretty much nothing.

Would be great to see Invisible get some love, especially after how it was used as the showstopper in the Disney+ film, that makes a lot of sense.

Just saw this https://twitter.com/U2/status/1706414346971095128?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet and I just realized that the stupid baby was a reference to the album title and not some weird way to symbolize a new thing (the sphere) being born. Or maybe it's both.

But I honestly never thought of the "baby" part of the album title before as being a baby.

The Stage will surely spin like a record.

I remember when I first saw the baby concept image I was like "oh like baby, baby, baby, light my way" or even Babyface, and then of course realized that the album itself has "Baby" in it :doh:

Also took me way too long to realize the baby-in-space-helmet that they recently put back on the outside of the sphere is a live action version of the of the drawing from Zooropa (and other things).

Last edited:
I love the new logo they're using. The baby is weird. Zooropa baby was cute. This is more like Nirvana penis baby cover odd feeling.

I have no intention of doing the wristband thing, if that helps. The floor is small enough where there shouldn't be any issues getting somewhat close, but big enough where you can spread out in the back.

I have no doubt, that despite Sphere's best intentions, it will devolve into organized chaos once the usual suspects become involved.

It won't be chaos to them, mind you. But to all the people who aren't aware of any lists to Facebook groups to join and simply flow the venue's rules? Yea, they're gonna be pissed. And rightfully so.

I've dealt with the line czars before, and yeah they're entitled assholes. But do you think that representatives of the band are going to step in and convince the sphere management to ignore the wristband numbers that they distributed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom