3 Irishmen and a Dutchman Walk Into A Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting quotes about Love is Blindness here. Bono was quite into the song during those nights, as he mentions in this interview.

My biggest highlight from the Sphere gigs.

Last edited:
Not going to trash it. It had to work for their extended playing style and I thought some of the abstract stuff was good, 1-2 things quite smart and impressive on a phone screen so surely exponentially better in the room. The sound was likely phenomenal too.

At the end of the day, an entirely different experience and presentation. It was doubtful they’d spend a lot of time and money on blowout custom imagery for 4 shows, so I think this approach was the right move. We’ll see what the other 3 nights bring.

I’m very curious to see what Dead & Co do, in terms of leveraging some historical footage/legacy imagery and classic psychedelic visualizer stuff.

There are some better visual stuff out there than that clip posted above (not a Phish fan). I doubt it is going to match the spectacle of U2, but it is a different experience anyway.

Not going to trash it. It had to work for their extended playing style and I thought some of the abstract stuff was good, 1-2 things quite smart and impressive on a phone screen so surely exponentially better in the room. The sound was likely phenomenal too.

At the end of the day, an entirely different experience and presentation. It was doubtful they’d spend a lot of time and money on blowout custom imagery for 4 shows, so I think this approach was the right move. We’ll see what the other 3 nights bring.

I’m very curious to see what Dead & Co do, in terms of leveraging some historical footage/legacy imagery and classic psychedelic visualizer stuff.
Oh no doubt. Which is why the shit posting from Phish fans in the lead up was so silly. It was incredibly predictable that they would use very generic imagery based on how they play.

If anything I think this is a good thing for the venue - because it will show other artists that you don't have to go as far as U2 went with the production to still put on a good show.

Watching the CBS Morning Show segment, Phish has four distinct shows with a completely different setlist and videos for each show. They only did four because the other option was to repeat shows more than once, and I respect that. It's creative integrity over more dates and more money.

Of course the segment mentioned that U2 had mostly the same setlist every night, but didn't mention that the entire residency was dedicated to the Achtung Baby album.

Trey Anastasio sometimes sits next to Dolan for NY Rangers games, and for a couple of years Dolan would show him iPad videos during games of Sphere and what it was going to become. And that's what convinced him that Phish had to play that venue. The sound, the visuals, all of it.

He said it was funny to read all the speculation regarding who would play Sphere after U2, when Phish knew it would be them.

it was visually impressive, no doubt. they said there was a mix of about 70/30... 70% generic visualizers, 30% designed specifically for the show.

seems like there were a lot of issues with people getting sick - which, well, it's phish - i have to imagine there's always a lot of issues with people getting bad highs at phish shows - so who the hell knows if it was because they didn't take a break like U2 did, or because, well, this shit always happens at Phish shows.

i learned two things from the phish mini-residency

1 - using generic visualizers works for bands that may not want to spend what U2 spend to craft an entire show, and/or would want the ability to mix things up without being pigeonholed into doing only songs that match your visuals. this will hopefully entice other acts into signing up to do future residencies.

2. my inclination to hate Phish's music without ever actually giving it a legitimate chance was verified.

2. my inclination to hate Phish's music without ever actually giving it a legitimate chance was verified.

My buddies and I saw Trey Anastasio last year at a festival. Our joke was that despite all of us pretending to hate Phish, we were going to fall in love with Phish. The first song we looked each other in the eyes and were like "wait is this good?"

about 30 minutes in (and substances having been consumed), we all kinda looked at each other, and finally, the buddy most committed to the bit said "guys this sucks."

that was the day I learned that you can't force yourself to love Phish

Back
Top Bottom