Song For Someone - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW...so, so much better than the first Woody Harrelson video. Reminiscent of WOWY and Stay.

As is being discussed in Peeling off those Dollar Bills, this song is on its way to being their biggest U.S. radio success in a long time. It has cracked the Top 30 on Hot AC, which I believe is the first U2 single to do so since How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

As is being discussed in Peeling off those Dollar Bills, this song is on its way to being their biggest U.S. radio success in a long time. It has cracked the Top 30 on Hot AC, which I believe is the first U2 single to do so since How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Really?

I cannot believe it. It´s their most mediocre single in years.

Really?

I cannot believe it. It´s their most mediocre single in years.

Have you listened to the radio lately? :|

It just shows that if they would have had a chance with real promotion in the US, they may have had a couple medium hits from this album.

It weirds me out to keep hearing SFS on some of those Sirius stations. i realize they're doing special promotion and playing it on all sorts of stations (like 80s on 8, and the alternative stations).

The song is seriously out of place on both Alt Nation and XMU. It's just so weird.

It weirds me out to keep hearing SFS on some of those Sirius stations. i realize they're doing special promotion and playing it on all sorts of stations (like 80s on 8, and the alternative stations).

The song is seriously out of place on both Alt Nation and XMU. It's just so weird.

There playing it on XMU??

I could see Alt Nation (based on their 90's work). But XMU??

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I heard it on both. Not a ton, but Sirius was playing it on various stations with some promotional tag line (not like "one to watch" but something along those lines, like "here's a tag line we're sticking onto the song so we can play it on all our stations where we think it might remotely fit.")

For any spotify users out there, SFS single version along with a live version is now available for streaming. I wish they would've picked up the EBW single version as well, but it's not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

For any spotify users out there, SFS single version along with a live version is now available for streaming. I wish they would've picked up the EBW single version as well, but it's not a big deal.

What is the difference between the single version and the album version? When I hear it on the radio I notice no difference whatsoever.

By the way, it continues to rise on Hot AC. Well on its way to being their biggest radio success since at least Sometimes You Can't Make it, possibly Vertigo.

What is the difference between the single version and the album version? When I hear it on the radio I notice no difference whatsoever.

Can't hear much. It's possible the guitar is a bit more prominent in the radio mix, but can't say for sure. It's also two seconds longer...due to two seconds more silence at the end of the song. :D

Can't hear much. It's possible the guitar is a bit more prominent in the radio mix, but can't say for sure. It's also two seconds longer...due to two seconds more silence at the end of the song. :D

Ha! Yes I figured the differences were very minor.

Perhaps my ears are not fine tuned enough to tell but what's the difference between the radio mix and the album one? Vocals? And who is on the cover of the single (Ali?) ? I used to dislike this song - still think it's a bit boring - but I love the guitar in it and it's weirdly a great concert song!

By the way, it continues to rise on Hot AC. Well on its way to being their biggest radio success since at least Sometimes You Can't Make it, possibly Vertigo.

Perhaps my ears are not fine tuned enough to tell but what's the difference between the radio mix and the album one? Vocals?

I think the acoustic guitar is a little more prominent in the mix?

I think the biggest difference is that on the album, the end flows into Iris. On the single mix it doesn't.
I have too much time on my minds.

okay hearing it live does not change ones opinion on this song one bit. I had hoped it'd make a change, nope. Still a total snoozefest.

I think the biggest difference is that on the album, the end flows into Iris. On the single mix it doesn't.
I have too much time on my minds.
That. And some tweaks that make the mix sound more mature. The guitar is more prominent, as well as some of the drums. The background loop has some more reverb etc. Small stuff, no big changes.

Heard this on the radio today. It was in some random top 30 countdown.

Sounded great.

It's one of the lesser SOI songs, and it was the only song on tour that failed to enthrall me. But it seems to fit in will with contemporary radio, aimed squarely at the Hunger Games crowd. Someone on here once said that this is a song that sounds like what people think U2 sounds like. But, I dunno, I guess it works.

something about the acoustic guitar tone in this song bugs me. It sounds too pristine, or something. Too "Hey There Delilah."
I dunno. I can't put it into words, which basically means I'm offering nothing to this conversation.

:dance:

Last edited:
It reached a new high today of #22 on the Hot AC chart, one of the most important formats on U.S. radio.

It reached a new high today of #22 on the Hot AC chart, one of the most important formats on U.S. radio.

Wow! Songs that do well on that chart have a habit of crossing over into Top 40....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom