Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Twist in the tale, city of blinding lights doesn’t seem to be on the album after all but 40 is. U2 just posted an official playlist on Spotify with the tracks/chapters mentioned with everything as previously mentioned except that swap. The tracks for now are the regular versions not reworked, just a taster but I’m glad 40 is in there. The album version of that needed a rework.

(Looks like the playlist is going to go live at midnight where you are, still not showing up on uk Spotify but is in Europe, you can access it via a link though from any country)
https://open.spotify.com/album/2UoXcoC6J59QuwCPQxCJGu?si=0ZdMT-afS7KbS4VYR-kRDA

Last edited:
Aw man it would suck if they'd cut out CoBL - admittedly it was a phone recording, but I really enjoyed what I could hear from the new version, it seemed like an arrangement that really suited the song well.

It's cool that they've made an official playlist though. Can't be long until the announcement :up:

Watching that Bono interview I can understand why people can’t stand him. Love the guy but he can come off as insufferable for non fans.

Just noticing when you play the songs on the new surrender Spotify playlist there’s different images and some words from the book on there too for each song.

Aw man it would suck if they'd cut out CoBL - admittedly it was a phone recording, but I really enjoyed what I could hear from the new version, it seemed like an arrangement that really suited the song well.

It's cool that they've made an official playlist though. Can't be long until the announcement :up:

where did you hear that new version?

I'm failing to see the logic of having a tie in album with your autobiography and not realize the tie in WITH the autobiography. Am I missing something?
If they released the songs it would take the focus away from the book itself. A few days wait makes sense. The songs aren’t going to take on any less significance released just shortly after and by that point people will have worked there way through most or even all of the book/audio book. I think the short clips for the audio book give us the perfect amount just to get us interested/excited about what’s to come without completely switching focus from book to songs.

I got notified of this review today and yip, its by the Daily Mail, but how can you miss the point so massively if you've read the book and see just what level Bono was working at to try and secure massive, ongoing financial support for the causes he's been working for.

This is one of those things that has been repeated ad nauseam by people who just say "why don't they donate their money" whenever a celebrity pops up promoting a charity cause. As if that would make a lasting difference. Or even a dent in things in some cases.

In one scene here, Bono, net worth an estimated $700 million, has a private meeting with Barack Obama, net worth about $70 million, and persuades him to give more aid to Africa. Obama promptly does so.

It isn't his money of course, it's the American taxpayers'. It's two very rich men agreeing to redistribute the wealth of some often fairly poor people in the U.S. to even poorer people in Africa. The net worth of the average American without a High School diploma is a shockingly low $20,780.

I got notified of this review today and yip, its by the Daily Mail, but how can you miss the point so massively if you've read the book and see just what level Bono was working at to try and secure massive, ongoing financial support for the causes he's been working for.

This is one of those things that has been repeated ad nauseam by people who just say "why don't they donate their money" whenever a celebrity pops up promoting a charity cause. As if that would make a lasting difference. Or even a dent in things in some cases.

Exactly! I haven't read the book yet, but I went to the show in Boston and Bono told the story about his Dad saying to him once "if the world were just, we wouldn't need this charity" around the time of Live Aid. Bono quipped after this "maybe he's finally getting me on some level!"

I'm assuming that simple, anecdotal explanation of what he's been saying on a deeper level for years is in the book. That the Daily Mail reviewer clearly didn't read if they're making comments like this!!!

I also want to bang my head against the wall at the suggestion that it's "redistributing the wealth" of poor Americans or the wealth of poor people of (insert rich country here). Of course, these people pay taxes like anyone else, but Bono HAS NEVER ONCE advocated that countries abandon their poor, stop taking care of their own people, or even raise taxes to do this! If anyone is neglecting their poor, or opportunity for their people in general, it's for other reasons. It sure as hell ain't because a few dollars went to Africa.

Quite often, back during the meat of this advocacy and money going from governments to meet these goals, I'd get an e mail from the ONE campaign informing me that the US has agreed to do (X) and that (Y) subsidy or needless, redundant item was eliminated to pay for it. And it passed on a voice vote.

On the contrary, he often points out that a more just world helps us in terms of global trade partnerships as well as in terms of a more stable geopolitical landscape. Which of course has economic benefits.

Most importantly, he always strongly defends the moves Ireland has made (in terms of tax incentives and public investment) to become the modern, wealthy economy it is today! He does this against criticism from the right and left.

This is NOT a man who is asking anyone to even give up their lifestyle, never mind go broke, to help create a more just world.

That people make these absurd claims , after all his statements and evidence to the contrary, suggests malice way more than ignorance!

Just take AIDS. We all know the tremendous strides that have been made over the last 20 or so years. Lots of that, Bono and organizations with his philosophy have heavily and successfully lobbied for.

I'm trying to come up with the country that has gone broke or stopped investing in their own people to meet these goals! Can't think of one.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom