Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I read you for years and years even If I am not writing posts. It is always a pleasure to read you day after day. I am a huge U2 fan since 1991. I wanted to highlight that I am always trapped by Bono interviews but he is so good at selling ideas. When he talks about a pure rock album, we all dream about songs like "Exit, Acrobat, The Fly etc." but we might end up with "All because of you", "Stand Up Comedy", "Volcano", sorry for the big fans of these songs :) Most u2 recent rock songs lean towards Led Zepp style without any creativity from my point of view. But I would love to be surprised of course.

Hi guys. I read you for years and years even If I am not writing posts. It is always a pleasure to read you day after day. I am a huge U2 fan since 1991. I wanted to highlight that I am always trapped by Bono interviews but he is so good at selling ideas. When he talks about a pure rock album, we all dream about songs like "Exit, Acrobat, The Fly etc." but we might end up with "All because of you", "Stand Up Comedy", "Volcano", sorry for the big fans of these songs :) Most u2 recent rock songs lean towards Led Zepp style without any creativity from my point of view. But I would love to be surprised of course.

yes I agree

and overwhelmingly mid-tempo too..

U2songs have updated their upcoming releases page.

https://www.u2songs.com/news/upcoming/

Although it sounds like the band has not started an album from that last interview, we believe significant work is already complete on the songs, and the band are in a similar position to where they were in 2017 when they went back into the studio to re-record Songs of Experience after delaying it from an October 2016 release.
We’re told this one will likely arrive in late 2023 at the earliest, and will likely come after the Las Vegas residency is wrapped.

So looks like the guesses a few posts ago were right, that they're at the 'there's an album finished, now let's get a new producer to polish it' stage. Although this time, instead of trying to find the hits, they're trying to find... rock n' roll songs?

Kind of surprised we are in the dark about producers for the new record... Would love to know that Tedder is out and who would help to bring a fuck you rock sound (like for real, not the Atomic Bomb version)

I'm not saying this to be snarky, I'm just late to the party. Can someone explain to me who runs u2songs.com, and why they're so trustworthy? Do we have any idea who their insiders are? What's their track record on correctly predicting U2's next moves, and have they had any wrong info?

I'm fairly certain we've heard that Tedder has done some work on this already.

So could well be the reverse Danger Mouse.

Or who the hell knows.

We're 5 days from the book, a few weeks away from the Songs of Surrender album, and about a month away from the Kennedy Center Honors.

Speaking of... typically they get contemporaries and/or artists who were inspired by the act to perform a bunch of said artists songs at the Kennedy Center Honors.

When Springsteen was honored it was Sting, Ben Harper, Melissa Ethridge, John Mellencamp and Eddie Vedder - with the introduction from Jon Stewart.

Wouldn't shock me to see Vedder return for this one. And probably Bruce. But who else?

I'm not saying this to be snarky, I'm just late to the party. Can someone explain to me who runs u2songs.com, and why they're so trustworthy? Do we have any idea who their insiders are? What's their track record on correctly predicting U2's next moves, and have they had any wrong info?
I have no idea where they get their information from, but they're very trustworthy and have been for years.

As opposed to certain Twitter accounts that just throw wild shit against the wall in hopes that something sticks.

When Springsteen was honored it was Sting, Ben Harper, Melissa Ethridge, John Mellencamp and Eddie Vedder - with the introduction from Jon Stewart.

Wouldn't shock me to see Vedder return for this one. And probably Bruce. But who else?

Ideally: Jack White
Really: The Killers
Oh no: Coldplay

Ideally: Jack White
Really: The Killers
Oh no: Coldplay

Accurate. I was just going to mention the Killers. An interesting one would Michael W. Smith, the Christian singer. He's undoubtedly going to be there anyway for the Amy Grant portion, so maybe he'd pull double duty. He's been friends with Bono for many years.

Interesting to see who other rock bands have had in their tributes:
Eagles had introduction by Ringo Starr, performances by Kings of Leon, Juanes, Vince Gill, Bob Seger
The Who had introduction by Jack Black, performances by Joss Stone, Dave Grohl, Betty Lavette, Rob Thomas

Vedder's a good guess. The Killers, possibly doing Ultraviolet. I'd be shocked if someone doesn't do Beautiful Day. There's also usually a random country artist thrown in the mix, so perhaps Dierks Bentley does Pride?

Florence and the Machine have an album out. Perhaps they'd do a version of something?

Then the finale is usually when they pull out the gospel choir and everybody comes on stage and sings together. It wouldn't shock me to see Bruce Springsteen (promoting Only The Strong Survive) come out to start "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and then halfway through the song, the gospel choir will appear and all the previous performers will hit the stage for the big singalong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom