Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Because as much as I enjoyed the Irish Times interview, this one really drove me nuts. Maybe it's time for to me to face up to the fact that my favorite band and I are moving in different directions. I've just never been so consistently frustrated with them like I am right now.

I know now that with youth culture I am kind of tolerated hanging out at the back of the birthday party but the magic show’s going on down here for the kids. I wished to connect with the pop charts over the last two albums and failed. But the songwriting got really good.

I even think "tolerated hanging out at the back of the birthday party" is a bridge too far. You are no longer 'cool' at all, Bono. You are, somehow, simultaneously regarded as a rock n' roll legend...but now you hold the same 'cool factor' as Creed or Nickelback (themselves outdated references). It's time to leave the kid's party altogether, Bono. Throw a dinner party with some adults.

So right now I want to write the most unforgiving, obnoxious, defiant, [expletive]-off-to-the-pop-charts rock ’n’ roll song that we’ve ever made. I spoke to Edge about it this week. He’s going, “Is it that call again?” “What call?” “The one about we’re going to write the big [expletive]-off rock song?” And I say, “Yeah, it’s our job!” We can make songs famous now, but I don’t think U2 can make them hits.

I love how even Edge recognizes that this has been a consistent line of Bono's for 20 years now. Bono - you do not do guitar rock well. You've been trying since 2002 and it almost always comes out half-baked and try-hard. It's lame. Trust us. Garage rock was in full swing in 2001/2002 and you guys went into the studio and cooked up...All Because Of You. It's not your forte.

We’re students of songwriting. We don’t mind if we’re humiliated to find a great song. These song-driven people we worked with on our last albums know a lot about songs. You say, “But you’re U2 — you don’t need that.” What’s interesting is that we want that.

This was the most disheartening part of the interview to me. I also think I'm at a crossroads with the band over what makes a great song. Bono often speaks about songwriting as a foreign concept to U2, something they've only recently started to learn - as if *he hasn't written numerous classic songs himself.* You are a good songwriter, Bono! It's maddening. I get it - he respects the *craft* of songwriting. But if a song is only mediocre, or doesn't connect emotionally, or just sounds bland - who cares if it was put together correctly? James Hetfield of Metallica gave an interview a few years ago where he said that Metallica's instinct now is to fight *against* the craft:

"We know how to take an okay song and make it good. But the question lately has been, 'Do we have the discipline to dismiss an average song and say it's not on the record? Do we know when something is not good enough?' We used to have that discipline early on. And I attribute that to having blinders on — that fuckin' attitude that says, 'Fuck that, it's not heavy enough to put on the album.' In the Nineties we tried to embrace everything and Bob Rock was good at helping us do that. Each time we did, we opened our eyes a little more, but the discipline kind of went away. We became craftsmen instead of destructors."

I think U2 has been at this point for a while now.

We have almost finished this album called “Songs of Ascent,” which we’re not putting out. We’re going to put out a rock ’n’ roll album. So we’re not putting this out, but I’m telling you it’s awesome

"It's awesome - but we're not putting it out because we think people want U2 to turn up the gain on the amps, when there's been absolutely no evidence to support that." This is so frustrating.

It’s a ridiculous pop sort of “Rubber Soul,” isn’t it? Do they sound like U2 songs? But the songwriting is there, you see.

...and nevermind. 'Rubber Soul' U2 isn't my favorite. And hearing Bono go on and on about songwriting, in the same interview where he associated the term with Tedder, is discouraging to me.

Well, “No Line on the Horizon” comes after those. Sonically it’s quite an experimental album — and songwriting-wise.

Uh, almost. Not quite.

he progressive-rock virus gets in, and we needed a vaccine. The discipline of our songwriting, the thing that made U2 — top-line melody, clear thoughts — had gone. With the band, I was like, this is not what we do, and we can only do that experimental stuff if we have the songwriting chops. So we went to songwriting school, and we’re back and we’re good! Over those two albums, “Songs of Innocence” and “Experience,” our songwriting returned.

...aka "we tried following our artistic muse and it didn't sell as well because the world had changed drastically in the preceding 5 years, specifically with regards to how music was consumed...but never mind that. Also, we got cold feet during the making of the record and fell back on our usual bag of tricks to try and get it on to radio, instead of following our artistic instinct, pissing off the producer and longtime creative collaborator that helped us create almost every single one of our creative highlights in the process.

I dunno man. Bring on the 'rock' album, I guess.

calling back to when there were shots of Bono and David Letterman talking on a roof together...

https://twitter.com/_Tymoshenko/status/1583179268787298304

this was from the other day, Letterman interviewing a Ukranian comedian - so clearly Dave is in the process of filming a new season. we'll see when it comes out - but quite obviously bono's interview will also be a part of the new season

this is one of the best interviews i've read with him - especially when it comes to late state bono/u2 interviews.

yes. finally. they have come to grips with not being the old guy at the club.

true. and hopefully they one day release it.

i'm convinced bono reads interference and/or has someone who reads it for him and tells him what people are saying.

so, uh, sorry about the fat jokes mate

i L'Oh'L'd

oh my god he does read interferene

please please please take this to heart bono

okay, so album may very well be done - but also, no dude - just release something. you're contradicting what you said earlier.

I L'oh'L'd again

interesting. so perhaps they aren't ready to put something out after all and everything they recorded is just the alleged Songs of Ascent that will never see the light of day.

i do find it intriguing that he says they want to take a little of the SONGS SONGS SONGS band from the last 10 years and combine it with more of the experimental, guitar driven sounds. sounds good in theory - but we'll see how it all plays out.

i'm most encouraged here - not by bono's typical bombast - but by the common thread throughout the interview of not necessarily caring about what the world thinks and focusing more on what the band wants.

easy to say - not always easy to do - but it's encouraging to at least see it being spoken about.

I gotta say, there is a lot of encouraging stuff here. Possible shift from Tedder, accepting they aren't gonna have a hit song, talk of being more guitar heavy, it's all music to my ears.

I still have to read the whole thing, but I just gotta say that I HATE when Bono brings up this "progressive rock" thing. And he usually references POP when he says it. First, they've never really done anything that would be considered progressive rock. I really dislike progressive rock. And there is not one thing on POP that is even in the vicinity of it.
The Unforgettable Fire may have a couple that could fit the bill, but that's about it.

You want a fuck off rock song, then maybe take a lesson from Mofo.

That aside - I always say that the band really doesn't have a new way to transform their sound. They've pretty much covered what a rock band can, even bits of country and opera for christ's sake. But a really spare, raw sounding full on fuck off rock sound would be a bit different. Bomb got pretty much all of it polished out in the end. Achtung was dark and guitar heavy, but also had sublime production that definitely wasn't raw like 4 guys playing in a room. Some bits of the first 3 albums might be the closest.

Would be so refreshing to have them knock an album out in 6 months with a great, harder rock producer, and just let it be and release it to the world. There's about a 5% chance of that. But I believe Zooropa was done in 3-4 months, so somewhere it exists in them.

ok, off to read the full article. :)

I definitely feel more optimistic after the article. Maybe timelines are worrying me more in terms of where they are with the album, but if they can follow through with the idea then in theory it should be quicker to make. I feel like we’ve really overcome a big obstacle with Bono acknowledging they aren’t going for hits anymore. I’m actually a big fan of most of the songs on the last couple of albums, but even I’am glad to hear about this possible change of direction. I feel like the things they’ve said in the past they haven’t been able to carry through on because as a caveat to whatever else they’re doing they’re still trying to right a hit single, but this sounds a bit different. Maybe I’m too easily convinced by bono’s words, I know he’s been far from the reliable source in the past but this seems like a big change in stance from him. And at the very worst it’s confirmation of at least 2 more u2 albums coming out in the future, I still optimistically hope for even more.

I gotta say, there is a lot of encouraging stuff here. Possible shift from Tedder, accepting they aren't gonna have a hit song, talk of being more guitar heavy, it's all music to my ears.

I still have to read the whole thing, but I just gotta say that I HATE when Bono brings up this "progressive rock" thing. And he usually references POP when he says it. First, they've never really done anything that would be considered progressive rock. I really dislike progressive rock. And there is not one thing on POP that is even in the vicinity of it.
The Unforgettable Fire may have a couple that could fit the bill, but that's about it.

You want a fuck off rock song, then maybe take a lesson from Mofo.

That aside - I always say that the band really doesn't have a new way to transform their sound. They've pretty much covered what a rock band can, even bits of country and opera for christ's sake. But a really spare, raw sounding full on fuck off rock sound would be a bit different. Bomb got pretty much all of it polished out in the end. Achtung was dark and guitar heavy, but also had sublime production that definitely wasn't raw like 4 guys playing in a room. Some bits of the first 3 albums might be the closest.

Would be so refreshing to have them knock an album out in 6 months with a great, harder rock producer, and just let it be and release it to the world. There's about a 5% chance of that. But I believe Zooropa was done in 3-4 months, so somewhere it exists in them.

ok, off to read the full article. :)

Yeah Prog Rock has always been a bit of a loose term. There's some really good stuff out there that isn't challenging for the sake of being challenging. Like Porcupine Tree, for example.

Almost reminiscent of dreaming it up again talk...more guitar driven next album is ok. (Bob Ezrin was last mentioned in the studio with them) as is new talk of SOA.

Pity AB30/zoo2.0 tour isnt happening. Maybe a full performance of the album / broadcast from the Sphere ?

This is the correct take.

I’d add JT Tour was also big time damage control, and largely successful.

I also wonder if AB in Vegas with 12 dates will give them the opportunity to test out 12 new songs to see how the audience reacts.

Yeah...i dont think your average twitter complainer about Apple release was in any rush to get tickets for JZ2017. That one was clearly aimed at die hard fans / Live Nation twisting U2s arms to tour.

As long as there are more songs led by Edge creating some interesting guitar pieces again as the heart of the songs I’m all for it. Just don’t contradict that part of it. Don’t care if it’s garage rock or unforgettable fire stuff. Edge needs to take the front seat again.

As long as there are more songs led by Edge creating some interesting guitar pieces again as the heart of the songs I’m all for it. Just don’t contradict that part of it. Don’t care if it’s garage rock or unforgettable fire stuff. Edge needs to take the front seat again.
On the subject of TUF the band do have a habit of creating great songs where edge needs to switch between guitar and piano live. TUF, lemon, New Year’s Day, raised by wolves, moment of surrender, little things, all quality songs.

By Bono’s definition, almost half of TUF is prog rock

Last edited:
It also suggests that they're happy with their songwriting approach, and want to keep it in mind, but start focusing more on sounds/guitar parts than they have been doing.

So, essentially we'll get Roosevelt's Ghost through a cranked Rat pedal?

You guys typically go a few years between albums. Doesn’t recording so infrequently make finding inspiration, those moments of magic, harder than if you were creating more often? Or make it easier to fall back on old habits?

the answer, and it has to change.

I am so happy that he realizes this. Treating the band as a part time gig has been the biggest reason for the dip in quality over the last 20 years, imo. In the Irish Times interview he mentioned that going forward there may be a cost in terms of relationships in the band - I really wish the interview had followed up on that - and I wonder if working more frequently is what he thinks may cause the problems. Maybe some members are less inclined to spend more time writing and recording, or maybe some are more bothered by Bono taking the lead. I don't remember who it was, but when one of them was asked about how Bono's absence affected the band they said they liked him being gone and that it made things easier. Anyway, that's just speculation. I hope he gets his way.

Regarding rock producers who can capture aggressive guitars, they've already worked with one of the best: Flood. Get him to bring Alan Moulder in and they can make an aggressive rock album that sounds as good as any that's been made. Butch Vig would also be a good fit, as would Erol Alkan. But their best work was mixed by Alan Moulder. So the key is getting Alan Moulder to mix it.

I think Bono’s idea of heavy rock for u2 standards is the likes of acrobat. Some good guitar work in there, a bit of darkness to the song. There’s no reason why they can’t go there for a full album.

This is a really good point! Up until now, I was picturing a rock n' roll album as being something along the lines of Vertigo, but I think you're right that a heavy sound for U2 can mean something like Acrobat.

It might be relevant that Bono has said more than once recently that he wants the next album to capture the sound that the band achieved on the 'e' stage on the E&I tour. They used that stage to play songs like Acrobat and EBTTRT, both of which had very heavy drums (I recall EBTTRT sounded much more powerful/aggressive compared with previous tours).

So maybe an album of aggressive, 'fuck off' rock music could mean in the vein of the darker elements of Acting Baby, rather than U2 trying to sound like Led Zeppelin. Acrobat, rather than Stand Up Comedy.

Loads of reasons to be optimistic from that interview tbh and quite a few of the questions being asked are really good - not just the usual fluff and PR nonsense.

Yeah, lots of great things said. In terms of timelines etc - well - we aren’t expecting anything new until late next year anyway, and they basically re-did SOE in a year while touring and Bono had his heart thing. It’s only October now. 12 months is a long time.

At any rate, not sure why we ignore what Bono says if it’s too optimistic but accept at face value when it isn’t? U2songs were quite clear that it was done and delivered to the label. Of course they can pull it back and add/change, but I seriously doubt that means square one. Maybe they re-record some of the songs, maybe they write a bit more. I’d be surprised at this stage given the comments about not competing on the singles charts if they pfaffed around and didn’t drop something next year. Bono clearly has an itch, and he’s 62 ffs. Too many more years pass with nothing to show for it and all of a sudden it’s too late. By this bands timing, two album cycles from now puts him at 70.

Bono clearly has an itch, and he’s 62 ffs. Too many more years pass with nothing to show for it and all of a sudden it’s too late. By this bands timing, two album cycles from now puts him at 70.

That’s what I hope is leading to the renewed focus on the band at the “cost” of other things. If U2 has another 10 or so years as an meaningfully active band, would he rather spend that time making music or taking meetings with politicians?

Yeah, lots of great things said. In terms of timelines etc - well - we aren’t expecting anything new until late next year anyway, and they basically re-did SOE in a year while touring and Bono had his heart thing. It’s only October now. 12 months is a long time.

At any rate, not sure why we ignore what Bono says if it’s too optimistic but accept at face value when it isn’t? U2songs were quite clear that it was done and delivered to the label. Of course they can pull it back and add/change, but I seriously doubt that means square one. Maybe they re-record some of the songs, maybe they write a bit more. I’d be surprised at this stage given the comments about not competing on the singles charts if they pfaffed around and didn’t drop something next year. Bono clearly has an itch, and he’s 62 ffs. Too many more years pass with nothing to show for it and all of a sudden it’s too late. By this bands timing, two album cycles from now puts him at 70.

Maybe I'm reading things wrong, but is it possible that SOA was all wrapped up and delivered, but now they put it on hold, and feel that if they are going to do a rock one, that it's the one they want to release next?
It makes sense that they might feel that SOA is what they want as a final album to their career.

Also, talking about not being as focused and the "the cost" of really concentrating on the band over other things, is something that I really hope they can do.

One quote I heard from the Edge I believe quite a while back was that during the 90's period, they were "completely consumed by the art", that they lived it every day with very little outside distraction. If they could get even close to that sort of commitment again, we could get something special.

One quote I heard from the Edge I believe quite a while back was that during the 90's period, they were "completely consumed by the art", that they lived it every day with very little outside distraction. If they could get even close to that sort of commitment again, we could get something special.

I think we all need to come to grips that they won't. They've been half retired for a decade now with a 4 year stretch of two albums and some tours, which were very enjoyable. They are never going to be a band that is completely all in and focused on the art again.

I think we all need to come to grips that they won't. They've been half retired for a decade now with a 4 year stretch of two albums and some tours, which were very enjoyable. They are never going to be a band that is completely all in and focused on the art again.

I'll settle for a bit more focused than they have been the last 15 years or so

Maybe I'm reading things wrong, but is it possible that SOA was all wrapped up and delivered, but now they put it on hold, and feel that if they are going to do a rock one, that it's the one they want to release next?

It makes sense that they might feel that SOA is what they want as a final album to their career.

Also, talking about not being as focused and the "the cost" of really concentrating on the band over other things, is something that I really hope they can do.

I’m fairly certain U2songs were quite specific about it being called “songs of” something, but definitely not songs of ascent.

These comments could all just be Bono trying to build a bit of hype for what they have done. Maybe they have an idea that wasn’t put down for the new album but lately they’ve been discussing it and they want to record it and get it on there somehow?

From U2songs upcoming releases page:

Expected Date: 2023

This project has not been officially announced.
We have been told that U2 have been working on an album of new material.
Rumours shared with us suggest this follow-up to Songs of Surrender would be scheduled for a release in 2023. The date appears to be in flux.
The title for this album has not been selected. But it will likely have a title which starts with “Songs Of…” as the band still plan on releasing Songs Of Ascent sometime after this album of newer material. See below for more information about Songs of Ascent and where it stands.
The band was recently working on this album in the early months of 2022 in the Bahamas and California, and the album is said to be “substantially complete”. It was shared with us that some work was being done on the new album in July 2023 in Dublin.
Ryan Tedder in an interview in September 2019 shared, “I spoke to them just last week. We will work together on some new pieces when I am in Los Angeles. I think it’s their intention to make a record completely different from the last two. It will be easier. You know, it’s like a pendulum. When you make a very produced album, with so many instruments in it, the next project you want it to be more sparse, and you wonder, what if the disc had the sound of four musicians playing in a room?”
In November 2018, at the end of the Experience and Innocence tour, Bono suggested “I’d like to make a balls to the wall rock album” and Larry Mullen speaking about the future said “You never know. I assume there’ll be another album.
In Hozier’s Cry Power podcast in October 2019, Bono spoke at length about Songs of Ascent (see below) and then shared, “I’d also love to do just a straightforward-fuck-off-rock-and-roll album with this band. Because on this last tour, they’ve got to a place, I mean they’ve been there before, I think they’ve always had greatness in them, but we do a lot of very good in between the great. I felt like I just caught up to them on this last tour. And there were moments on the circular stage, the e-stage, on the Experience and Innocence tour, and they hit some powerful stuff. I’d like to find songs that could contain that fire.”
In November 2019, Dallas Schoo, guitar tech for The Edge, told fans at an event in Australia that U2 were making a new album, and he thought that the fans would like it.
In July 2020, The Edge was asked in Rolling Stone if they were working on a new album. The Edge replied, “I’m always working on new songs. I’ve not stopped since we came off the road, so yes. The question, I suppose, is whether we have a plan to finish or release it. Not so far. But there’s a lot of exciting music being created.”
In July 2020, Adam Clayton was interviewed in Rolling Stone and asked about if the band was working on a new album. Adam replied, “We are. There’s always something on the go, as I’m sure Edge mentioned. We did some recording last year that got us some really great starting points and complete songs. There’s an album ready to go, we’re just not quite sure when we want to press that button. When I say ready to go, I mean ready to be completed. Let’s put it that way.” Rolling Stone clarified, “So the songs are written, but you have to record them and get them right?” and Adam replied “Exactly.” Adam also went back to the idea that this new album being developed is not Songs of Ascent but something new, “It’s very, very fresh. We’ve cut everything quite quickly. We’re coming to things in a shorthand way. The feedback we get from that is pretty good. We want to be quick, down and dirty with the next one.”
The Edge spoke to Jo Whiley in September 2020, and mentioned “I was actually working on some new songs with Bono and I had a decision, am I going to go to Dublin or am I going to head to California where my wife was, so I opted to head for the wife which I think was the right call. Cause literally within two days they’d shut all flights into America, so I snuck in and spent the first part of lockdown with Morleigh in California, and then came to Dublin for early May and was in Dublin for a while.”
In a January 2021 aired discussion between The Edge and Daniel Lanois on U2 X-Radio, the Edge spoke about new material. He said “I’m working on a lot of new songs at the moment. We have a bunch that are…we haven’t figured out what to do with them yet. For me the lockdown has been quite a creative period for me.”
On May 31, 2021, Steve Lillywhite appeared on Talk Radio in the UK and revealed he’s been speaking with U2 regarding new music they’ve been working on in studio in London at that time. Lillywhite said the band are quite excited about the material.
Adam Clayton speaking on the Rockonteurs podcast on July 25, 2021 spoke again about the acoustic project as well as where they stand on a new album, “But at the same time, we have ambitions, once we can see a reason to put out another record. There are songs being siloed that will be brought out when we are ready to do a record.”
In November 2021, Adam Clayton spoke to O Globo while promoting the 30th anniversary of Achtung Baby. He said one of the projects that the band is working on is the sessions from which that song evolved. “We have new songs and we’re hoping to release an album in a couple of years, but we can’t talk much about it yet. I will just say that some of the tracks fill us with pride.”
In November 2021, The Edge did an interview with Rolling Stone promoting Achtung Baby. The Edge mentioned the band is “locked in the tower of song and working away on a bunch of new things. I’m just having so much fun writing and not necessarily having to think about where it’s going to go.” He revealed that the band has yet to settle on any producers for the new material.
In November 2021, Bono appeared on The Today Show promoting Sing 2. He said of the new material, “It’s nice to work without a purpose. Which is to say, it’s not like somebody is coming up and saying we have to have a U2 album or we have to have a U2 tour. We’ve been talking, and are excited to work together again. In the next few weeks there will be some recording.”
In December 2021, Adam Clayton was interviewed in Le Figaro and spoke about the band’s plans going forward, “At 50 we said to ourselves that there were good reasons to stay together and to continue working together. We have a great history after all. Today we are all in our 60s and we can’t wait to enter a new chapter in our history. We are working to rearrange some of our tracks in acoustic versions, to reveal new emotions. In addition, we are preparing new songs, for an album which should be released in 2023. And if circumstances allow it, we will go on a world tour at that time. It’s been a long time since we last performed in public.”
In January 2022, Alice Cooper in an interview with Eddie Trunk on SIriusXM revealed that U2 were working with producer Bob Ezrin.

Of particular interest:
- songs of.. but not ascent
- recorded lots in 2022 on new material
- 2019 references to “easier” and less “produced”
- Bono mentioned balls to the wall rock in 2018 for the next album (so this isn’t a new idea jeopardising the rumoured new album - I thinks it’s the same thing)
- October 2019 - Bono again mentions fuck-off rock, and says SOA isn’t dead
- 2020 Adam says songs are written but need to be recorded.

Barring them going full U2, the thing is effectively done. Bono himself mentioned putting out new stuff in competition with SOS.

I may be wrong, but I think U2songs reported it was Songs of Surrender that was delivered to the label already, not an album of new material.

But I certainly trust them when they say the next album was largely done earlier this year and will be out at the end of next year. When you consider Bono's been going on about a rock n' roll album for years, and Ryan Tedder talked about making a 'back to basics, 4 musicians in a room' album back in 2019, Bono talking about wanting the next album to be a departure from SoI & SoE doesn't necessarily mean what they've just recorded will be scrapped by any means.

But the thing that makes me think they may be starting from scratch is Bono talking about still needing to find a producer, and referring to the album in the future tense ("we want to record, we're hoping to make" etc).

Also, U2songs has been kind of quiet about new album rumours since the march date was pushed back. There was that, and rumours of stadium dates next year, which apparently aren't happening in 2023 anymore.

I wonder if the rumoured delay from march to late 2023 is linked to the band changing course, but still aiming to put out something soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom