NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Methinks there are better options than Boris Diaw if one is looking for a last-second shot.

wow

as much as i love tim duncan is as much as i hate the rest of the spurs, esp. bowen and that little weasel ginobli... but damn. what a game.

what an amazing shot by nash to tie the game again, and just terrible D by phoenix to let ginobli penetrate that far. good decision by pop to not take a time out and allow phoenix to sub shaq back in for D.

yet another heartbreaking loss for the suns at the hands of the spurs.

this is game one of the first round? jeez...

Incredible game.

Looking ahead...if you want the Finals to be exciting, you want Boston to get there. It's as simple as that. Spurs, Suns, Lakers, Hornets, Mavs....they will all easily defeat anyone in the east except for Boston. If Boston makes it to the finals, it will be virtualy assured of being the best Finals in a decade(since Bulls/Jazz '98).

What a game. I hate Tim Duncan. He's just too good.

Amare lost them the game on the play where he fouled out. He should have just taken the jumper instead of jumping into Thomas. I feel sick after watching the suns blow that one.

wascle_080419_900a.jpg

thetitans2k said:
What a game. I hate Tim Duncan. He's just too good.

Amare lost them the game on the play where he fouled out. He should have just taken the jumper instead of jumping into Thomas. I feel sick after watching the suns blow that one.

completely disagree... first off, 9 out of 10 times that defender is going to have his feet on or in the circle and it would be a block instead of a charge. should amare have shot the jumper? yea probably, but that's not really his game. more than a bad play by amare it was a great play by ole' cross eyes kurt thomas... which again just goes to prove how good san antonio's front office is that they were able to get thomas from seattle for a box of donuts. he's a perfect role player for that system.

what lose the game for phoenix was not being able to keep ginobly from getting 2 feet from the basket on that last shot. you need to force them to take a jumper at that point, not a layup, a contested one at that.

but even that's nitpicking... phoenix played it pretty well throughout, san antonio just made plays. they defend the screen and pop perfectly, denying the guard and leaving the 7 foot center all alone, and the fucking 7 foot center knocks down a three. :shrug:

they run that staggered screen set which i believe they ran against the lakers or somebody else this year to win a game, only on the other side of the court... where they use nash as a decoy in order to get it in to the high post and then off to barbosa for the three. san antonio shut that off, nash, the decoy ends up getting an open shot in the corner regardless, switching hands quickly and throwing it up and it goes in... if that was the shot that won the game or sent it to a third overtime we'd be seeing that shot in replays forever. but pop doesn't take a TO, shaq can't get back on the floor to protect the paint, san antonio pushes it right down for a pretty high percentage shot and nash's three is just an afterthough. :shrug:

overall it was an unbelievable game... phoenix has to look at it as if san antonio can't possibly catch those kind of breaks again in the series... but with the history between these two teams who the hell knows.

again.. this is the first round?? holy schnikes. my only worry is that this might be the best series of the entire playoffs, which would be a shame to have it in round one.. but, eh, fuck it.

as for the eastern conference playoffs... well... who cares.

Amare hits a shot much further away usually if you've watched any suns games in the past two season. He has a great jumper.

Also anyone in the NBA can hit a wide open three with that much time. Especially a guy who has a crazy drive to win like Tim Duncan. When I went to a bulls game I saw Ben Wallace hit 8 out of ten threes before the game. So I'm definetly not shoked that Duncan's three fell.

Maybe I'm wrong about this but I'm never going to blame a suns lose on their defense when they have mutiple shots to put the game away on offence. I've come not to expect big stops from the suns defence over the years.

The one-two combination of Kobe and Pau Gasol's beard might prove to be unstoppable as these playoffs continue.

Lakers FTW.

It was fun seeing the first Magic playoff win in 5 years in person. My buddy behind me kept shouting "Bill Russell" after Dwight made amazing defensive play after defensive play.

Chris Bosh is a whiny bitch, btw.

Spurs/Suns...wow. Fantastic game. I really don't like the Spurs, at all, but what a great job by them winning that game. I loved the Kurt Thomas deal and that game was why.

So...does Isiah get another job, anywhere, ever, in the NBA? Or is this it for him? It's really a pity that the legacy of Isiah the player is tarnished by the fiasco that is Isiah the coach/executive.

thetitans2k said:
Amare hits a shot much further away usually if you've watched any suns games in the past two season. He has a great jumper.

Also anyone in the NBA can hit a wide open three with that much time. Especially a guy who has a crazy drive to win like Tim Duncan. When I went to a bulls game I saw Ben Wallace hit 8 out of ten threes before the game. So I'm definetly not shoked that Duncan's three fell.

Maybe I'm wrong about this but I'm never going to blame a suns lose on their defense when they have mutiple shots to put the game away on offence. I've come not to expect big stops from the suns defence over the years.

if you think a guy hitting 8 of 10 threes in pre-game has anything to do with his ability to hit said three in the game then there's no reason to further continue this conversation.

CTU2fan said:
so...does Isiah get another job, anywhere, ever, in the NBA? Or is this it for him? It's really a pity that the legacy of Isiah the player is tarnished by the fiasco that is Isiah the coach/executive.

technicaly he still has a job... just that nobody knows what it is. frankly the whole "stay in the organization but have no title" thing is just a ploy by donnie walsh so that if, for whatever dumb ass reason, somebody else wants to hire isiah to do anything, he'll have to break his contract with the knicks to do so, thus they won't have to pay him anything.

and isiah tarnished his own reputation with his smug attitude. he gets what he deserves.

It was pretty funny, Duncan got the pass and he hesitated for a split second...I could picture him thinking "holy shit I can't believe how open I am" and then shooting.

As for making 3's in the shootaround...Dick Vitale was at UConn for Big Monday against Syracuse, this must have been in '95, and he actually came on the court pregame and made a bunch of 3's. Anybody want the ball in Dickie V's hands with the game on the line?

LemonMacPhisto said:

I agree, but he was probably around to see it, so I wouldn't tell him that.
I think Howard is a beast and a force, but you just can't compare a guy in his first playoff game to the greatest winner in the history of team sport.

Hewson said:
I think Howard is a beast and a force, but you just can't compare a guy in his first playoff game to the greatest winner in the history of team sport.

Again, I agree with you. I'm just happy to be able to watch him in person at least 20 nights out of the year.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'd also like to add that anyone who makes the old "i find college basketball to be much more entertaining than the nba" statement to watch the spurs/suns series, then watch this past year's ncaa tournament, and honestly make that statement.

Stephen Curry woulda drained that three while falling backwards into the bench, then swatted Ginobili's shot into the seats.

Attn my bitches:

Williams, Jazz beat Rockets 90-84 to take 2-0 series lead
By CHRIS DUNCAN – 3 hours ago

HOUSTON (AP) — Tracy McGrady disappeared again in the fourth quarter and the Utah Jazz took a commanding lead in their playoff series with the Houston Rockets.

Deron Williams shrugged off a late injury and scored 22 points and Mehmet Okur added 16 points and 16 rebounds as the Jazz beat the Rockets 90-84 on Monday night to take a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.

Game 3 is Thursday night in Utah, where the Jazz went 37-4 during the regular season.

McGrady, a seven-time All-Star who has never advanced past the first round of the playoffs, had 23 points, 13 rebounds and nine assists to just miss his first postseason triple-double. But he went 0-for-4 from the field and scored only one point in the final quarter as the Rockets lost to the Jazz for the eighth time in the last 10 meetings.

McGrady scored 20 points in Game 1, but went 0-for-3 from the field in the fourth quarter of Utah's 93-82 victory.

The Rockets still had their chances to win this one.

Luis Scola hit two free throws with 1:21 to go to cut Utah's lead to 85-82.

After Williams missed a driving layup, Houston's Bobby Jackson hit a 3-pointer that would have tied the game but Scola was called for an offensive foul away from the ball when he pushed Andrei Kirilenko. Jackson rebounded from a 3-for-15 effort in Game 1 to score 18 points.

Kirilenko grabbed a key offensive rebound on Utah's next possession and Kyle Korver flipped in a one-handed shot as the shot clock expired to put the game out of reach with 20 seconds to go.

Carlos Boozer added 13 points and Williams had five assists for the Jazz, who closed the game with a 14-8 run.

The Jazz led most of the way and were up 64-61 when Williams appeared to twist his left ankle with 1:47 remaining in the third quarter. He limped to the locker room with a trainer.

Williams said he didn't hurt his ankle, but re-aggravated a bruised tailbone that has bothered him for a week.

Ronnie Price, Williams' replacement, hit a 3-pointer just before the quarter ended to give Utah a 69-67 lead. Williams returned to the bench before the final quarter began.

He was back on the court with 9:18 left in the game, after Aaron Brooks blew by Price for a game-tying layup. McGrady went out for a rest when Williams came back and Williams drove for a layup with 7:41 left to put the Jazz up 76-74.

McGrady returned with 7:07 remaining and was fouled on a jumper with 6:39 left. He hit a free throw to complete the three-point play and tied the game at 76-all. Williams hit a short shot at the other end to put Utah back on top.

Kirilenko stole the ball from McGrady near the 5-minute mark and Williams made a free throw to give the Jazz an 81-76 lead. McGrady finished with five turnovers.

While the Rockets played better than they did in Game 1, they still had no answer for Williams, who hit the first three 3-pointers he attempted.

Boozer committed his second foul and went to the bench with 5:47 left in the first quarter, but the Rockets started committing careless turnovers that led to easy baskets and Utah stretched the lead to 26-17.

Houston shot and rebounded better than it did in the first half of Game 1, but trailed by exactly the same score at the break, 47-41. Okur, who scored only four points in the opener, had 10 in the first half on Monday, including two 3-pointers in the final 35 seconds.

The Rockets scored mostly inside in the first half, but went 0-for-7 from 3-point range.

McGrady had 16 points in the first half, then had six points and five assists in the third quarter.

The Rockets will need a near-miraculous comeback in this series to win in the playoffs for the first time since the 1996-97 season. They can conjure hope from the fact that they handed Utah one of its four home losses this season — but that was at the start of the regular season.

Notes:mad: The Jazz have led at halftime in all nine playoff games with Houston dating to last season. ... Houston has lost its last four playoff series after dropping the first game. They haven't won a series after losing Game 1 since the second round in 1995, their second championship season, when they rallied past Phoenix in seven games. ... Reserve Chuck Hayes grabbed 10 rebounds for Houston
xin_4604042711498032242523.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom