Philadelphia Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going to D.C. on Tuesday. Why do I have a sinking feeling that I'm not going to hear TLTTGYA?

Vertigo not the show closer I was hoping for.

(Left early thinking it was over...)

Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia, PA - June 18, 2017

---------- The Whole of the Moon ----------
01 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
02 - New Year's Day
03 - Bad / America (snippet)
04 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
05 - Where the Streets Have No Name
06 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
07 - With or Without You
08 - Bullet the Blue Sky / Black Dog (snippet) / America (West Side Story) [snippet]
09 - Running to Stand Still
10 - Red Hill Mining Town
11 - In God's Country
12 - Trip Through Your Wires
13 - One Tree Hill
14 - Exit / Wise Blood (snippet) / Eeny Meeny Miny Moe (snippet)
15 - Mothers of the Disappeared
---------- Omaima Video ----------
16 - Miss Sarajevo
17 - Mysterious Ways / Elevation (snippet)
18 - One / Hear Us Coming (snippet)
19 - Beautiful Day / Philadelphia Freedom (snippet)
20 - Elevation
21 - Vertigo

Sigh, and there goes Ultraviolet, the way of ASOH. Glad I saw the former while it was still around.

Or maybe it's just for Edge's anniversary, but it's a little frustrating that they can't just play both songs. Is MW with slide plus Ultraviolet just too high a density of awesomeness?

Last edited:
They did a snippet of Elevation after Mysterious Ways and then play Elevation later, this is some serious overkilled love for Elevation.

Fucking stoked MW had the slide solo and replaced the worst song in the setlist. MW hasn't sounded that good since 2006.

well the show is literally a live nation hit parade now. mysterious ways is fine (especially with the slide solo) but considering i've seen it at every damn show and ultraviolet is much rarer...I think I'd go with UV every time

so in terms of the non-JT part of the show, Bad and Sarajevo are the only non-hits (well, Sarajevo wasn't a hit in America at least) that remain in the set, and even both of those were on best ofs and surely have recognition with casual fans. ASOH, Ultraviolet, and Little Things provided some depth to the setlist for hardcore fans but now all are gone, and it appears that's permanent.

they can obviously play I Will Follow whenever they want. but overall I'm just not sure how I feel about this tour at all. I'm really curious to see if/how they change it up in Europe.

well the show is literally a live nation hit parade now. mysterious ways is fine (especially with the slide solo) but considering i've seen it at every damn show and ultraviolet is much rarer...I think I'd go with UV every time

Besides my own personal distaste for UV, I've got MW 11 times and UV 8, not far apart. It's a shame that five of those MW performances didn't have the slide solo. It's ridiculous the difference that makes. MW is nowhere near the top of my U2 song rankings, but after hearing today's performance I'm looking forward to presumably getting it one night in London. I'm guessing we're now going to have MW/UV in rotation like Bad/ASOH did in Chicago and hopefully will again.

so in terms of the non-JT part of the show, Bad and Sarajevo are the only non-hits (well, Sarajevo wasn't a hit in America at least) that remain in the set, and even both of those were on best ofs and surely have recognition with casual fans. ASOH, Ultraviolet, and Little Things provided some depth to the setlist for hardcore fans but now all are gone, and it appears that's permanent.

they can obviously play I Will Follow whenever they want. but overall I'm just not sure how I feel about this tour at all. I'm really curious to see if/how they change it up in Europe.

I suppose they view side 2 of JT as the bone thrown to hardcore fans, though that's a bit silly when the album's sold so many bazillion copies and the idea that any of those tracks is obscure is the sort of nonsense only U2girl would argue with a straight face. In God's Country is a live rarity, but it is not a deep cut known only to the diehards.

So yeah, it sucks they've settled on 21 songs, less than any of their last three tours, and pushed out the more interesting tracks. I'm particularly surprised Little Things has been given the boot, and if they think it's had a bad reception, maybe they should fucking try not playing it last when people are ready to beat traffic no matter what the band do. Vertigo and I Will Follow are good closers in that they're high-energy tracks to keep (most) people in their seats until the last note. Little Things should've been a couple of songs earlier.

Also, pretty weird MLK is gone given it takes up almost no room at all in the setlist. Bono prattles on about "maybe the American dream isn't dead, maybe it's telling us to wake up" or whatever in the segue to Streets. What an ideal time to do MLK as the lead-in. Fuck me, this band sometimes.

I'm particularly surprised Little Things has been given the boot, and if they think it's had a bad reception, maybe they should fucking try not playing it last when people are ready to beat traffic no matter what the band do. Vertigo and I Will Follow are good closers in that they're high-energy tracks to keep (most) people in their seats until the last note. Little Things should've been a couple of songs earlier.

Little Things into I Will Follow without being so chatty would be great. "From the back....to the front again, I WILL FOLLOW"

Christine Lagarde on the big screen - are you fucking kidding me?

I attended last night in GA, overall great show and great crowd energy. Was disappointed to not get UV but getting the slide solo in MW was pretty awesome. I was really impressed with how into it Bono was and in going after some of the lyrics particularly RMT. I have not watched too many videos for other shows but he had a ton of energy tonight which was great to see. The main drawback was the sound last night. It was not very crystal clear. I don't know if that is just because of outdoors or something specific to Philly venue but it was not anywhere near up to par.

Kind of sad to see UV go but MW sounded really good. Plus the side is back!!

I'm sorry but UV will never be played or presented like the 360 version. That version was an awesome encore song. JT version just seemed a little forced...

Was at the show last night and It was a great experience. It was checking off a bucket list item. Despite having seen U2 live over 20 times, the original JT tour was the one that got away. I was too young to go to that tour in the 80s so to be able to hear that album in its entirety meant a lot on a personal level. It was something I thought I would never see.

The span of songs from Streets to Mothers of the Disappeared more than made up for any other issues that have been mentioned whether it was set list changes, audio issues, ,late start to the show, etc.

The best part for me was noticing people's reactions when that giant screen came to life. The handful of fans who follow the band nightly on this forum and periscope every concert, know exactly what to expect from the show and when.

But the majority of the 60,000 people in that stadium last night had no idea what to expect so when that big brown paper bag looking screen turned blood red and then transitioned into the POV video of driving down the desert road, and the intro to streets reached its peak, there was such an awesome reaction from the crowd. Eyes wide open, jaws gaping open, and pure joy in the heart.

I don't mind losing UV for MW only because Bono's not singing Ultraviolet with the same gusto that he did on 360. I'm aware that this current version is closer to the album version, but when Bono sang the whole second verse an octave up on 360, it really took the song to another place and this version, to me, is a letdown. He's also bowing out of the "ultraviolets" on this iteration as well.

I understand not *closing* with Little Things, but I'm disappointed to see it disappear completely. I was really hoping to hear it in DC. Also, "Vertigo" is not a closer in any way, shape, or form. I understand that they seem to be moving completely chronologically - but fuck that. If you want a high energy closer, pull out I Will Follow. Do 40. Do *anything* but Vertigo.

I also don't accept that the band thinks they need more "energy" in the set when they're trotting out Miss Sarajevo. This band needs a setlist coach in the worst way.

Was at the show last night and It was a great experience. It was checking off a bucket list item. Despite having seen U2 live over 20 times, the original JT tour was the one that got away. I was too young to go to that tour in the 80s so to be able to hear that album in its entirety meant a lot on a personal level. It was something I thought I would never see.

The span of songs from Streets to Mothers of the Disappeared more than made up for any other issues that have been mentioned whether it was set list changes, audio issues, ,late start to the show, etc.

The best part for me was noticing people's reactions when that giant screen came to life. The handful of fans who follow the band nightly on this forum and periscope every concert, know exactly what to expect from the show and when.

But the majority of the 60,000 people in that stadium last night had no idea what to expect so when that big brown paper bag looking screen turned blood red and then transitioned into the POV video of driving down the desert road, and the intro to streets reached its peak, there was such an awesome reaction from the crowd. Eyes wide open, jaws gaping open, and pure joy in the heart.

^This!!! My 14yr old finally understood why I (we) love this band so much. The look on her face was pure joy.

Fucking stoked MW had the slide solo and replaced the worst song in the setlist. MW hasn't sounded that good since 2006.

IMO, Miss Sarajevo is the worst song in the setlist. It's just Bono trying to make a statement. If he feels so strong about woman rights, add a lady to the band.

IMO, Miss Sarajevo is the worst song in the setlist. It's just Bono trying to make a statement. If he feels so strong about woman rights, add a lady to the band.

Sign me the hell up for that. :wave: I volunteer. I play a mean tambourine.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 2.13.42 PM.jpg

Bono likes taking you from the majestic, unspoiled beauty of the American West to the bombed-out, rubble-strewn wastes of the Middle East so you'll feel bad and vote for whichever congressman promises to bring in the most refugees. It's definitely in the set for the long haul.

Bono likes taking you from the majestic, unspoiled beauty of the American West to the bombed-out, rubble-strewn wastes of the Middle East so you'll feel bad and vote for whichever congressman promises to bring in the most refugees. It's definitely in the set for the long haul.
With taeks like that I bet your Twitter is awesome

Back
Top Bottom