Sphere #2 setlist party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always think that when I see it in a set list, but when I’m there and 20,000 people are jumping, i see why

Elevation in a 1000000 foot building... yeah... it makes sense.

This song is freaking awesome... so much better than 50% of their tracks...

will they repeat the godawful Vertigo-Streets transition? even the most rabid superfans can't defend how poor that is

come on, it's absolutely horrible. this makes the Amazing Grace transition from 360 look like the RTSS or Zooropa ones. there's no way this is defensible

Lyric changes are more concerning to this superfan... I guess some SOS lyrics I don't recall...

Lyric changes are more concerning to this superfan... I guess some SOS lyrics I don't recall...

Like you'd think that doubling up on possible lyrics would help Bono since he gets two shots at singing the right ones, but I think it's just split his mind in two.

I kept thinking they changed lyrics to 40 songs including BD, but never thought to make it Beautiful Night so when they play it at night it would work better?

I’ve listened to this show from start to finish on u2brothr’s stream.

I’m taken aback at how fantastic they sound. I almost have a sense that they needed compete against the visual overload, so as not to sound like a backing track.

I think Bram is the difference. He is bringing a faster energy to the drumming that’s forcing the other three – Bono especially – to keep up. The result is raw, deliberate and VITAL. I haven’t heard them sound so good in… I’m not sure.

Despite the static setlist and very megaplex approach to the set’s sequencing, that sounds like exactly the bolt of power I’d want to feel if I was attending this kind of show. It’s the performance that is standing out, despite and because of the familiarity.

Between this and SOS I feel like I understand what they’re doing now. They are artfully sketching, graffitiing even, over their history. Without spelling it out in an autobiographical SOI way. Incorporating new lyrics, singing the refrain from Moment of Surrender during the Streets intro, meta-introducing Bram into their story. It’s beautiful.

And Atomic City is the anchor for all of this. It showcases the sound. It is silly and loose but knowing. A blonde, older Fly. It doesn’t feel out of place between Elevation and Vertigo, in fact, the three are complementary. It’s catchy and harnesses the Call Me melody whilst staying unique and without feeling like theft.

The band feels loose, chaotic and open to change. There is more value in them feeling energised from performance and spinning silk from that and their body of work into new art here and there, than have them muddling through the latter half of their existence.

I’m on board, I truly hope this is the genesis of something new, and great, even if the success is felt more in touring ability and as a energised artful spectacle, more than simply being about new albums, which can then sag a setlist as the band try to elevate new songs to the same status as classic songs.

Larry can remain part of the creative core, but if new blood helps push this band into a discernibly special creative phase, then I finally and fully endorse the decision to let Larry convalesce.

I get it now. Bono and Edge are leading the creative force, which is empowering them both. Adam has become an independent lynchpin and, almost, tastemaker. Larry is taking a knee for the team, so they can get better results on the field.

They’ll never be a dominant creative force in culture again. But this direction feels more like being a dominant creative force in the story of their own legacy.

Last edited:
come on, it's absolutely horrible. this makes the Amazing Grace transition from 360 look like the RTSS or Zooropa ones. there's no way this is defensible
lol it's so not. you're being incredibly over critical for someone who's only listening to a stream and not actually experiencing the show.

It works perfectly fine. Is it going to go on the all time list of Streets transitions? No. It doesn't have to in order to still work.

Last edited:
I will be perfectly fine if they stick with this set. The Rattle and Hum section is lovely and they just aren’t going to be arsed to make any additional changes. They have 4 days of downtime now, but I don’t think they’ll be rehearsing. Bono’s probably gonna get out of the desert to save his voice, although the bubble’s working because he sounds great.

I will be perfectly fine if they stick with this set. The Rattle and Hum section is lovely and they just aren’t going to be arsed to make any additional changes. They have 4 days of downtime now, but I don’t think they’ll be rehearsing. Bono’s probably gonna get out of the desert to save his voice, although the bubble’s working because he sounds great.

Yeah I’d assume they would get out of dodge and head back to LA. It’s only an hour fifteen flight to be more comfortable.

Last edited:
U2torrents have a recording. - it is SENSATIONAL. Probably one of the best audience recordings I’ve ever heard. I think we are going to see some incredible bootlegs from this tour.

Back
Top Bottom