Sphere Show #1 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't notice any technical issues with the screen. I think when it was dark in the middle that was intentional. Willie said as much in that Variety article.

There were a couple of funky audio things that happened where all of a sudden something would cut out. Nothing crazy but I definitely heard it here and there.

The Edge broke a string at one point in the encore and had to leave the stage to get a new guitar.

Even Better Than The Real Thing's visuals make it feel as if the floor is actually spinning and not the screen. It was fucking trippy. I had to look away at times because it made me nauseous. That was the only moment like that.

The Fly has a part where it seems like the ceiling is collapsing on you that's cool as shit.

I think there was a lot of nervous energy, band and crowd alike. I think it'll be looser tomorrow.

The visuals are absolutely stunning. It IS too much at times, which is why I think they didn't use them for a stretch in the middle.

I think the folks who are bitching about the encore are nuts and need to get friggin over it. They played a full album AND four songs from a completely different album in a row. I mean love rescue me for Pete's sake. Or course they're going to focus on the hits in the encore. That's just common sense.

I think a bit of disappointment is natural. 22 songs is on the shorter side, obviously we'll always want more, but this is a very typical number for them. And then, yes, there's some boring picks in the encore. But everyone knows no matter what they're gonna play Vertigo and Beautiful Day (I'm not going to excuse them for Elevation though, lot of songs that'd be better picks, many of which are bigger hits).

The main thing though, is we're spoiled, looking at the setlist, because we take the AB part for granted. If you rocked up to a random U2 show and you had no idea what the setlist looked like? And they played Acrobat? TTTYAATW? Love is Blindness? So Cruel? I mean, that's amazing (and personally I've never caught Horses or Ultraviolet which are faves). Plus, with the rotating set, you're pretty much guaranteed at least one additional deep cut (tonight, Love Rescue Me, not a fave of mine but a very cool pull). So, in all, it's not a 100% a setlist a hardcore like one of us would program, but it's maybe closer than usual.

I'm wondering personally how seriously they're going to take this rotating album acoustic set thing. We know we've got a set of 4 from RAH, cool. We know the band has apparently rehearsed 5 songs from Zooropa (testing out which 4 they like best, or time enough for all 5 - also, lucky you to the people at those shows). But can we really expect them to rotate all 13 other albums? Probably not, right? Might there be some that get combined? I mean, reports said they've rehearsed Invisible and Ordinary Love, those aren't even on an album. It will be very curious to see how this section develops over the next few shows.

Feel like it's easy to imagine a few albums in that section, mainly looking at SOS - Boy (IWF, OOC, SFB, Electric Co., maybe expand to 11OTT), War (SBS, NYD, 40, THBAO), TUF (Pride, Bad, ideally TUF and ASOH), TJT (ISHFWILF, RTSS, BTBS, RHMT), ATYCLB (Walk On, Stuck, POE, maybe lump in Electrical Storm), HTDAAB (Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, COBL, ABOY maybe?), SOI (EBW, Cedarwood Rd, Miracle, SFS). But that's already so many alternate songs needing rehearsal, and not even considering those two singles I mentioned (plus IGWSHA also apparently rehearsed). Dunno. We shall see. I'm hoping for TUF personally (don't need Pride, but any other song on there would be amazing).

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase;8400577{ The Edge broke a string at one point in the encore and had to leave the stage to get a new guitar. [/quote said:
Had no clue this happened

Even Better Than The Real Thing's visuals make it feel as if the floor is actually spinning and not the screen. It was fucking trippy. I had to look away at times because it made me nauseous. That was the only moment like that.

In fairness also had no clue this was trippy

The Fly has a part where it seems like the ceiling is collapsing on you that's cool as shit.

Not sure they played The Fly, but Magnificent was great.

The visuals are absolutely stunning. It IS too much at times, which is why I think they didn't use them for a stretch in the middle.
Ok in all seriousness tho… I pretty much had no clue what was going on all week so I wanna take this one chance to say you live life in fast motion and I totally was not overwhelmed by visuals because life is slower on my recorder [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I think the folks who are bitching about the encore are nuts and need to get friggin over it.

This is most important tho. Like. Anyone who has a complaint was even less there physically than I was mentally.

I’m very happy Streets is being played in it’s original live key and not the album version key. Always preferred it that way.

Sphere is all over my social media today. They knew what they were getting into and they were not going to pass the opportunity, I’m glad they didn’t. I’ve managed to avoid the details in the very little videos I’ve seen and hope to keep it that way until December.

In typical U2 fashion, the shows are going to get better and tighter from here on out. So excited, have yet to see a negative review and that’s a good thing.

Super cool show, no real issues with the setlist, the Rattle and Hum section was completely unexpected and cool to see. Only thing I'd say is that going from the acoustic section back into Achtung Baby with a slow song like So Cruel felt a little off. And the fact they didn't use the screen at all when getting back to Achtung Baby had the people around us questioning if they forgot to turn the screen back on or if it was broken or something. Usually they come back from the acoustic sessions with a bang.

Damn. I’m catching up now with this and it seems phenomenal. R&H section is really cool. I was on the fence but now figuring out how to go.

You can tell Bram is like “am I doing it right” in some parts like yes, Larry isn’t a normal technically sound drummer and is a little off, no need to add anything. He does a nice job though.

The only fuck ups I noticed came from actual real life members of the band. I thought Bram was amazing and brought incredible energy that, let's be real, Larry isn't the most enthusiastic chap even in the best of times.

I'm sure it has to be nerve wracking for him. Heck I'm sure it was for all of them.

I'm guessing they'll be a lot looser and more relaxed tonight.

The entirety of Inhaler was hanging out in the VIP risers on the floor behind us. It was kinda cool seeing them geek out at times, and was a bit touching to see Eli leaning back watching the old man work.

One last point... they better be careful not to get sued during Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World lol

The good news is that the encore is so bad to some that they can leave early to get in the GA line for the next show.

I can't say I'm surprised by U2 fans finding something to bitch about, but it's absolutely absurd nonetheless.

I mean... complaining that the encore was loaded with hits? No shit. That's literally every encore by every band ever.

You got all of Achtung Baby, and holy hell Love Rescue Me? Are you serious? Never in a million years did I think they were going to pull that out for these shows.

And it seems as if they're going to rotate that section with a different album each night, which is amazing. I can't wait to see which one they pull out today.

Yeah no idea how anyone can be upset when they get Love Rescue Me.

Insanely jealous for whoever gets the October night because my white whale Gloria is probably a definite and perhaps maybe a deeper cut.

I can't say I'm surprised by U2 fans finding something to bitch about, but it's absolutely absurd nonetheless.

I mean... complaining that the encore was loaded with hits? No shit. That's literally every encore by every band ever.

You got all of Achtung Baby, and holy hell Love Rescue Me? Are you serious? Never in a million years did I think they were going to pull that out for these shows.

And it seems as if they're going to rotate that section with a different album each night, which is amazing. I can't wait to see which one they pull out today.

:applaud:

That turntable section has a lot of potential. Rotating 4 setlist spots every night is great for U2 standards.

I just watched U2gigs YouTube upload of Love Is Blindness… imagine getting to see LIB performed for the first time in over 30 years and some dude standing near you talks during the entire performance..

Overall, that might be the best set list U2 has ever done in terms of songs I love... i mean it's usually batting 90% anyway... but this show, holy crap --

AB one of the best albums of all time from our favorite band.

Horses and Desire are some of my all time favorites.

Rattle and Hum was the album that got me into U2, so it's my personal favorite.

All I Want Is You is a killer song. Angel pure fun. Love Rescue Me I haven't hearrd that in years and I know want to heart entire album again for first time in a long time.

They gave us first performance of a new song that I love AC.

Elevation I fucking love that song. It was my favorite opener and in that building hell yeah.

Of course we all can name 50 other songs we want to hear! But you've got to please your wife that you dragged t this thing... or that couple that just bought tickets for U2 and doesn't even know who Larry is...

I missed many visuals of the first few songs... so now seeing this... it's much more impressive...

I wish I could make this tour. Gonna save extra for some close seats, whatever the extra vip experience is for the next one.

Obviously the point is the LEDs. Even still, that stage is underwhelming and awkwardly confining.

So it can’t realistically be every album because they’d only do each one twice. My feeling is that it will be albums not necessarily featured in the encore around AB thematically a RAH led into it, Zooropa followed. I’m hoping Pop is close enough to the concept as well. Other than that, I don’t reckon they will pull out, say October or Boy as feature albums.

Back
Top Bottom