You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt have one today but im sure as hell i will tomoz :doh:

Marketing management:up:

I see your point. But, I think by mixing this way, the parts where Edge is in front get more attention than when all guitarparts would be mixed to upfront.

I know what you're saying...but I think you've seen them live if you are who I remember you to be ;) and we both know he'll be way more in front live. People who haven't seen them live might not understand the difference. The Edge is who hooked me on U2 :yes:...well that and the drums :wink:

Sorry, I guess that was kinda harsh.

The Animal Collective comment was ignorant. Their new record is outstanding and deserves to get acclaim. Pitchfork will give good scores to good music, as seen today with Antony and the Johnsons. That statement is the one I disagreed with - that is why I only quoted that part.

I thought the 6.8 comment was accurate.

Nah, it's cool. I've been meaning to listen to Animal Collective's new one anyway, since I've heard nothing but great things. Pitchfork tend to get overly fanboyish with them, though - it's quite amusing. I was never saying Animal Collective were bad, but even if I were I was hoping you could let a cat live with their opinions.

I see your point. But, I think by mixing this way, the parts where Edge is in front get more attention than when all guitarparts would be mixed to upfront.

kind of curious, does this song sound exactly like it did when you were recording the beach clips, or does it sound like they changed some things?

My impression is that "somebody" (Eno?) is trying to invent a new form of rock song, involving wild swings between sounds within-song; a "dog and pony show"-style song (let's feature a billion different sounds in 3 minutes 40 seconds, and splice it all together with some transitions). I noticed this with Coldplay's "Rainy Day", which I didn't like at first but it grew on me. I DO really like GOYB, but I'm not sure I'm down with the chopped-up, "throw everything in the kitchen sink"-style rock songs that I think Eno is pushing (He's the common factor between Coldplay and U2 on this spliced-up/hung-together type of sound, which is why I'm citing him as the force!).

The more I hear it the more I want to hear the whole album.
Only minor thing is the lack of a long(er) solo or 'guitars-going-nuts' kinda ending.
It's too good to be so short

well he goes "trill" at the end which is something he's never done before. at least thats something.

Additionally:

I can see my kids getting crazy over this tune, can't wait till school's out today. They bopped to Vertigo but then got sick of it. I don't think that will happen with this one.

Hell, it could even be Rockband2 material :hmm:

My impression is that "somebody" (Eno?) is trying to invent a new form of rock song, involving wild swings between sounds within-song; a "dog and pony show"-style song (let's feature a billion different sounds in 3 minutes 40 seconds, and splice it all together with some transitions). I noticed this with Coldplay's "Rainy Day", which I didn't like at first but it grew on me. I DO really like GOYB, but I'm not sure I'm down with the chopped-up, "throw everything in the kitchen sink"-style rock songs that I think Eno is pushing (He's the common factor between Coldplay and U2 on this spliced-up/hung-together type of sound, which is why I'm citing him as the force!).

I don't hear anything thats really NEW about GOYB. Its just new for U2, quite honestly

I know what you're saying...but I think you've seen them live if you are who I remember you to be ;) and we both know he'll be way more in front live. People who haven't seen them live might not understand the difference. The Edge is who hooked me on U2 :yes:...well that and the drums :wink:
Uhm you got me curious now, who do you remember me to be :p

The way I see it is that U2 makes their albums a bit "careful" so without too much heavy guitars etc, but with a lot of things going on in the background.
Live, some of that stuff is covered by sequencers etc but most of it is left out and Edge's riffs need to make up for that. So he usually comes up with great sounds. I can already imagine that weird guitar thing at 1:18 becoming a major thing live :)

kind of curious, does this song sound exactly like it did when you were recording the beach clips, or does it sound like they changed some things?

I just listened to the beach clip and a few things stand out:

Second verse seems missing
Some lyrics changed elsewhere
"weird creepy guitar" bit is missing
Single misses guitar noodling after "sexy boots" bits
guitar and drums seem differently mixed but that is probably the recording.

Anyone else hear accents of Muse in this one?

Solid- but as with Achtung, Zooropa and Pop, I think this is a portent of stronger non-singles content on the album (hopefully).

I never once got that feeling on HTDAAB or ATYCLB, where the singles were clearly among the strongest tracks.

I recorded them ... and I was wondering the exact same thing. How did it sound at the beach... But, I have to say: it sounded totally different.
Of course, the main riff has stayed the same, but had it sounded this weird, I would have rushed home to post it over here and go all mad.

It was much more "normal". Didn't have all these things going on and certainly not the fuzzy guitars.

ok... 6-7 listens and here it goes my 1st impression:

so far, the song doesn't move me away but brings me high expectations for the album... the song feels like a medley of everything that we heard that will happen on the album: electro, dance, rock, led-zepplin, powerful riffs, midle-east melodies, ethereal sounds, maybe hip-hop, classic u2 and whatever more under master production of eno&lanois ... the problem so far with me is that it might be too much to pack in a piece of 3 and a half minutes...

on other hand, while there's some resemblance of vertigo on it (the riff, bono's scattering above the drums and scratching guitar,...) that the free bashers will not let go, i think that this song has a disfunctional structure and melody which makes it very challenging and a defenitely corageous choice for a so expected 1st single (surely we'll see extremed reactions for both sides from the critic) - My hope that the biggest commercial concerns from the past 9 years have passed lives exactly here.

In summary - i hope that goyb is just a sign that nloth will be one of the albuns of our lives.

regards

I recorded them ... and I was wondering the exact same thing. How did it sound at the beach... But, I have to say: it sounded totally different.
Of course, the main riff has stayed the same, but had it sounded this weird, I would have rushed home to post it over here and go all mad.

It was much more "normal". Didn't have all these things going on and certainly not the fuzzy guitars.

nice! thank you! :)

One thing I miss about beach clip #3:

During the chorus there is a wild psychedelic guitar part which pushes and pulls the rhythm perfectly.

I miss that

Ok--first of all, I don't want to talk about other bands, what has been done before etc. I don't compare U2 to other bands--because anything they do--even if it has been done before--is almost always better and uniquely U2 if nothing else. I think that it is a risk for a first single for them, it is in my opinion probably not bland enough to be a huge hit, but if anyone can do it its the boys. Honestly, I'm just glad to be talking about U2 in the context of a legitimate rock song. Another good sign is that I'm not sure I got it the first time around. Challenge the hell out of me--that's why I'm here. Awesome song.

so basically, what you're saying is, instead of turning it into a more radio friendly song (Native Son->Vertigo), they decided to make it more "wierd" or (magic word) experimental
thank you for this :wink:

Solid- but as with Achtung, Zooropa and Pop, I think this is a portent of stronger non-singles content on the album (hopefully).

I never once got that feeling on HTDAAB or ATYCLB, where the singles were clearly among the strongest tracks.

:yes:

I am listening to my local radio station (vancouver virgin AKA Z95) and they just played GOYB and asked what people thought so you can call in or text them. The DJ's love the song but most of the people who text/called didn't like it. Some said it was lame and boring and one perso said that they stole the beats from britney spears LMAO!!!!! I love that the DJ said ah you must be drunk and texting!! OMG I can't believe the moron who said that they stole the beats from britney! Like the best band in the world needs to steal beets from one of the worst artists in the world LMAO

I love this song. I'm sitting in the car listening to it. Thank God the engine is off, because I'm jabbing the gas pedal to the beat.

Hmm Ive heard it a few times. I wish I just had an instrumental version to listen to, its pretty intense and rockin with lots of variation. But the lyrics and vocal style are proving to be way too candy ass pop for me. I want to like it more, but I cant. Help. :ohmy: I mean I had a similar reaction in the past with Discotheque and Elevation, but this case seems more severe. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom