You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the full lyrics been posted anywhere?

no...I'd like to see them too. I think the lyrics are fantastic. There's alot of shit going on there with alot of symbolism. I curious to delve into the meaning of the "Woman of the future...revelations" lyric. Wonder what thats all about. This song's a heavy muther indeed.

i think its cool, and a grower, but not sure about quick-fire mainstream appeal. a good thing?

as for content/meaning, i think it could be alternatively titled, "Burn Your Burka (Go Muslim Kids, Go!)"

On the contrary, I see this song appealing to people who like a wide range of pop music, I keep getting reminded of the Jack white/alicia keys bond song. It's certainly a crossover.

After 20+ listens now, I didn't like it at first, now I love it.

It's a great lead-off single, it's not genius or a classic song, but it definitely gets the job done of drawing the listener in and wanting to hear more from the album. So kudos to the boys on selecting this kick ass bring-the-house-down song as the lead off single.

It's the unreleased single stuff that will be ridiculously good.

I don't know how anyone could think this would fit on Bomb or ATYCLB...

Something to note: Fanning said this is track 6 on the new album, which makes it sunk deep in the middle, a strange place to stick a rocker in an ambient group of songs, as described by both Bono and Eno. I find this promising, as it means 2,3,4 and 5 are a 20-25 minute run of pure mood. I think there's more to the context than this- if "Elevation" had come in the middle of a "somber" or more emotive album, it would have said something different than being up front as track 2.

Bottom Line: I think I like where this album is going, and think "Winter" was moved because it would have pushed the album too far over the edge...

It's a great lead-off single, it's not genius or a classic song, but it definitely gets the job done of drawing the listener in and wanting to hear more from the album. So kudos to the boys on selecting this kick ass bring-the-house-down song as the lead off single.

it sounds great in my car. :)

Kind of like "The Fly" (ducks)

Thoughts on Boots:

I like it a lot, but I don't love it as much as I was hoping I would. The biggest reason for that is that it sounds too much like Vertigo in the verse. I LOVE Vertigo, but I know many casual U2 fans who don't. Many, in fact, grew to despise U2 because of the ubiquitousness of that song. I think U2 have opened themselves up to a pile of criticism for essentially repeating that rant-verse with the scratch-beat guitar on their first single.

Another annoying thing is Bono's "you don't know" shouting over the chorus. I typically like when he cranks up that tenor (his voice is in rare form), but this song has such a nice slinky, sexy, whispering vocal quality to it that I want all the vocals to be like that (see "Golden Age" by TV on the Radio). Now, I do recognize that the "you don't know" is the hook that will be planted in everyone's ear. But this song would've been better without it. Don't like his "Yeah, hey, hey, hey" thing at the end either.

That said, there are so many instrumental layers and sonic gems in this song that I really like. My favorite part of the song is the almost awkward "you don't know how/...beautiful" first line of the chorus. The way "beautiful" is sung down low in the mix, as if by a bedouin campfire, is irresistible and infectious. I almost see camels. :)

Love the low dirt grunge of Edge's guitar, too, but once again it's too polished. That will improve live. Also love the middle eastern colors around the chorus and the industrial, electro-beat bang and clatter at the end.

It'll be a modern radio hit, but like The Fly, it won't be the song that identifies this album, and that's good.

Bottom line: I like it; it'll be great live and it will keep them on top and relevant, once again avoiding the Aerosmith-like downward trend that will have to come at some point. And it's MUCH better when played at ear-splitting level. But I was hoping for something that, like The Fly, was a huge departure from what we were used to, and took more time to grow—something a little less disposable. I have enormous hopes for the rest of the album in that regard.

Something to note: Fanning said this is track 6 on the new album, which makes it sunk deep in the middle, a strange place to stick a rocker in an ambient group of songs, as described by both Bono and Eno. I find this promising, as it means 2,3,4 and 5 are a 20-25 minute run of pure mood. I think there's more to the context than this- if "Elevation" had come in the middle of a "somber" or more emotive album, it would have said something different than being up front as track 2.

Bottom Line: I think I like where this album is going, and think "Winter" was moved because it would have pushed the album too far over the edge...

it really makes me wonder how "Crazy Tonight" (yes, that what i'm calling it) ends, and if it ends on an upbeat note. the way GOYB starts out suggests some kind of blend between tracks 5 & 6.

GET ON YOUR BOOTS

The future needs a big kiss
Winds blows with a twist
Never seen a moon like this
Can you see it too?

Night is falling everywhere
Rockets at the fun fair
Satan loves a bomb scare
But he won’t scare you

Hey, sexy boots
Get on your boots, yeah

You free me from the dark dream
Candy floss ice cream
All our kids are screaming
But the ghosts aren’t real

Here’s where we gotta be
Love and community
Laughter is eternity
If joy is real

You don’t know how beautiful
You don’t know how beautiful you are
You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you?

That’s someone’s stuff they’re blowing up
We’re into growing up
Women of the future
Hold the big revelations

I got a submarine
You got gasoline
I don’t want to talk about wars between nations

Not right now

Hey sexy boots...
Get on your boots, yeah
Not right now
Bossy boots

You don’t know how beautiful
You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you?

Hey sexy boots
I don’t want to talk about the wars between the nations
Sexy boots, yeah

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, sound
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, I’m going down
I don’t wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Yeah hey hey

Kind of like "The Fly" (ducks)

Actually, while The Fly I think is a much better song than Boots, you can say the same thing to an extent. The Fly was released after R&H stuff, so it was so different that it drew people into the new sound and made them curious enough to buy the album whether they liked The Fly or not.

I think Boots will have the same effect post-HTDAAB.

So here's my mini review after about 10 listens with headphones last night and 6 listens on the drive to work this morning with the volume cranked to 11:

Let me start by saying that I love Get On Your Boots, and I am a fan of U2's work this decade. I think Get On Your Boots rocks harder and has more depth than Vertigo; so far I think it's a better lead-off single.

That being said, I just don't see this as a "new sound" for U2. The track is derivative of Vertigo, Big Girls Are Best, Fast Cars, Discotheque, Bono's rock/rap improv on Rockin' In The Free World, and other previous works. Electronic drums and some squeaks in the background do not a "new sound" make.

Yes, there are some sonic differences between Vertigo and Get On Your Boots, but are they as big as the yawning chasm between Desire and The Fly, two previous consecutive lead off singles. Certainly not. I just think that with their post-punk beginnings, the atmospheric UF-JT era, the experimentation of the 90's, and the back to basics sound of the last two albums, they've covered too much sonic ground in their career for me to be shocked and amazed by any "new sound" that they've created.

Maybe my opinion will change when I've heard the whole album, but for now, my favorite band of all time has released a rockin' new single and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Earlier this morning a radio station in Philadelphia took some calls about the song. The reviews were mixed, with the general consensus that the song is okay; not their best, but not their worst. A few people mentioned that it sounded more like a U2 bside than a lead off single.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom