You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have thought it would go straight only Radio 1's A list. I think even WITS did?

I was also thinking that, but i am in no doubt that it will end up in the A-List anyway, considering your from liverpool have you heard it being played on Radio City (assuming you listen to it?), i heard it this morning at half 8 on the breakfast show for their premier of the song, they seemed to like it,

Would have thought it would go straight only Radio 1's A list. I think even WITS did?

Discoteque went straight to the "B" list on Radio 1 in 1997. Most of the songs in the current "A" list have been out a while or are available to download. Sure Boots will be on the "A" list in couple of weeks.....:D

BBC - Radio 1 - Playlist

Just joining the party...

2 listens in the books, about to hear it a third time. Don't know what the hell to think about it. I understand all of the comparisons to Vertigo, Discotheque, and Big Girls are Best, but NOT The Fly. I don't see that connection one bit. I don't want to start doing a U2 single showdown against their previous singles, but I don't know how people could say that its better than Vertigo as a single. Vertigo was catchy with its riff and the "Hello Hello" lyric. I don't think this song would ever have that same impact in an ipod commercial.

That being said, it may be a better song then Vertigo in a sense because of the better written lyrics and rhythm section....not sure yet. And thats okay because Vertigo was arguably the best song on HTDAAB and I doubt from what we've been hearing that GOYB is. So its not fair to compare them. Its like sending your fourth or fifth starter up against the other teams ace pitcher (for all you baseball fans)

I understand what that "hip hop twist" is now....and I kind of like it. Sounds like a bunch of Boots marching in formation. Very fitting. As someone said before, I don't know if I like the quality of Bono's voice. Seems whiny and weak. But it could be one of his characters...who knows?

All in all a good song...but it makes me want to hear the album even more because just like The Fly didn't quite do it for me in the first few months I heard it..this song might not do it either.

The thing that really excites me is that when the beach clips came out, this song, clip 3, was the one that I was the least thrilled about by far. Now after listening to it about 5 times loud with headphones, it has really grown on me and pretty much fucking rocks! That bodes really well for this album:hyper:!!!

BVS, I'm curious to hear your take on the song. My bad if you already posted your thoughts earlier.

I've only given it a two listens, but as I'm doing other things so I really haven't had time to sit down and just listen without distractions, but so far I think it's a strong single...

Much more textured than we've had recently, which I think boads well for the album.

I hear a lot of people mention Vertigo, Discoteque, and The Fly as comparisons, but the first song I thought of was Big Girls are Best... which I really like.

Okay, got it on repeat and I'm starting to have some fun with it. But I think that's just because it's NEW U2 After so long. But having fun with a silly fun rock song is okay, right? I mean, they can't all be Streets, right?

2nd listen:

Once more, I want to maim, hurt, permanently disfigure and/or kill whoever mixed Edge's guitar. I've had this beef ever since The Joshua Tree.

When is Edge gonna stop being so modest and get his ass out in front like he is live? It's so fucking frustrating. There's a brief moment after Bono sings let me in the sound where he comes front and centre but then he retreats again.

Well the upside I suppose is that we know how it will go down live, and it will melt our faces off, which is great.

A good dance tune :up:

I was also thinking that, but i am in no doubt that it will end up in the A-List anyway, considering your from liverpool have you heard it being played on Radio City (assuming you listen to it?), i heard it this morning at half 8 on the breakfast show for their premier of the song, they seemed to like it,

I listened to it at about 8.15 on Radio 1 before I rushed to a morning exam at uni... Didn't think to listen to City!

A U2 song that starts off fast instead of slow beginning with a build up?! Yes, please! I love it already! The riff is awesome! It’s raw and aggressive but with a zen like quality! The chorus is not as fun as the title made me think it would be but I like it. I doubt this will be a big hit but it might make some noise among non U2 fans as well. I wish Bono would start to sing a bit louder and make it feel like he’s more excited about it. Put a little more excitement there. It sounds a little dead and boring when he sings like he’s singing to a baby and the song is going to other way around.

I gotta admit, I don’t like the fact that the verses on this song are just bass and drums with Bono singing over it with a kind of Gary Glitterish melody that is almost as if he’s rapping. It’s the very much same thing they did with Vertigo (I’m talking about songwriting approach and not the actual melodies) so it kind of feels like they ran out of ideas and are trying to fool people doing the same thing again since Vertigo was such a big hit. It’s a shame. I do very much like the eastern groove that it has. It’s sexy and fun.

And I know it might be silly but it kind of bothers me that this song’s melody is so similar to that Wild Wild West song. I hope the people that don’t like U2 too much don’t start shit about this and make it overshadow the release of what can be a great record and probably a great tour as well. People love to step all over successful bands.

I’m sure many of this things that I don’t like will not be as strong to me in some months as it is now but still this is what I first felt when I heard this song.

The great thing about this song is that it’s more layered than, say, Vertigo. It’s sonically more interesting, it has a lot going on with the drums and I like what I could understand from the lyrics, they feel like Bono gave more attention to it than he’s been giving on the 2 last albums. “Satan loves a bomb scare but won’t scare you” is a great piece of lyric. Again, it makes me happy that this song starts more aggressively and faster than usual, I really feel like U2 were lacking songs like this. I think this one will sound great live.

The more I hear it the more I want to hear the whole album.
Only minor thing is the lack of a long(er) solo or 'guitars-going-nuts' kinda ending.
It's too good to be so short

I have only heard it once this morning but my first thought was that there is way too much going on in the song....will have to listen to it a bunch more times though.

Thanks for calling me ignorant and then agreeing with me!

Sorry, I guess that was kinda harsh.

The Animal Collective comment was ignorant. Their new record is outstanding and deserves to get acclaim. Pitchfork will give good scores to good music, as seen today with Antony and the Johnsons. That statement is the one I disagreed with - that is why I only quoted that part.

I thought the 6.8 comment was accurate.

I just turned on KGSR here in Austin, and they're playing Vertigo... wow, what a difference.

How do you think you did ? My last one is tomoz morning at 9.

This was a seen exam so it was "okay". Hopefully get a first in that. 10am tomorrow and 10am Wednesday then I am done. Just one more set till I graduate!

Economics :down:

How about you? Did you have the tune in your head in the exam? I did :D

2nd listen:

Once more, I want to maim, hurt, permanently disfigure and/or kill whoever mixed Edge's guitar. I've had this beef ever since The Joshua Tree.

When is Edge gonna stop being so modest and get his ass out in front like he is live? It's so fucking frustrating. There's a brief moment after Bono sings let me in the sound where he comes front and centre but then he retreats again.
I see your point. But, I think by mixing this way, the parts where Edge is in front get more attention than when all guitarparts would be mixed to upfront.

Love the really different drum sounds due to Larry using the electronic kit...can't wait to hear more of that stuff on the album. Definately somewhat of a progression from their recent sound. Really like the Morrocan influence which is similar to what they did with Fast Cars. I like most of the lyrics barring the gasoline/submarine bit (not that I hate it) and Bono's voice sounds much better here than on Vertigo, maybe even Beautiful Day. I just hope that the rest of the album will be this sonically different from the last two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom