Winter (Song) (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey does anyone here wanna talk about Winter??

I do!
Some Coldplay in there, don't ya think mate? :wink:

:cute:
j/k
It's like I said, it has the potential to be freakin' awesome, but it's nowhere near as that in the way it is now imo.

I do!
Some Coldplay in there, don't ya think mate? :wink:

:cute:
j/k
It's like I said, it has the potential to be freakin' awesome, but it's nowhere near as that in the way it is now imo.

Agreed. I think it has great potential, but not quite finished. Well done them for not releasing yet eh?

Love the ending though. Not sure about the "butter on toast" line though. :giggle:

I hope we get a good copy of Winter soon, I'd like to appreciate this without Bono's voice tearing.

it's kinda like butter on burnt toast.

Agreed. I think it has great potential, but not quite finished. Well done them for not releasing yet eh?

Love the ending though. Not sure about the "butter on toast" line though. :giggle:

I gotta agree that Bono has no taste in food. Y'know what butter is good with? Sugar and bread. A lot of sugar. :drool:

I hope we get a good copy of Winter soon, I'd like to appreciate this without Bono's voice tearing.

I don't know if it's just me (I have the mp4 verson, thanks mikal) but I hear a lot of wheeze on it.

I'm glad I have the song, but glad it didn't make the album. It has promise but needs more work.

the lyrics suck badly.. way too many silly lines, in my opinion.. not his best effort there.
And the 'oohh part toward the end doesn't work.

The intro is definitely way too reminiscent of Viva La Vida. It sounds like B-side at best. Like White as Snow much better and it adds a great counterpoint musicwise/tone wise to the album. This track Winter would have sounded like a filler.

In my humble opinion.

Being that the poster Tripoli is an alternate identity of someone who was already banned once, I don't know why you're even bothering with him.

Yes, why are we? I am trying to find out about a song I have not heard yet and I am treated to his shit when things have been explained rationally to him by multiple posters. Eno, the same one who produced such snoozefests as JT and AB? Get this guy some meds. And its high time this troll with as many posts in 1 month as I have had in 13 to be banned again.

Will be back when I hear the song!

I think Eno was pushing for Winter to be on the album because he shared songwriting credits...unless he didn't share them after all. But I'm assuming he did.

This song should be relegated to B-side status. It's like a warm-up to recording...let U2 get all the U2isms out of their system, and then its "alright boys, that was a fun stroll down memory lane, now lets really get to work."

Does anyone else here think the first two notes coming out of Bono's mouth sounds exactly like the highpitched guitar COBL riff?

Its interesting how divided the opinion on Winter is. Almost like its a Mercy-backlash. The anti-Mercy.

Also its interesting how people get hung up on lyrics that seem too mundane or 'every day life'. "heavy like a truck". "force quit, move to trash". "scent from a new born baby's head".

Some people seem to really like abstract lyrics. "the altar of the dark star", "i'm at a place called vertigo", "where the streets have no name", "you and i will magnify".

Sorry to add to the mess a few pages ago, but it is very common knowledge in the music industry that "shared credits due" always go from those that contributed more to those that contributed equal or less. As in the case of "producer," Eno would be considered primary with his name listed first. It is how credits work. I have to check the cd booklet itself, but if it is listed as that, then Eno would be the primary producer. Silly lawyerisms I happen to remember.

Flood is first, Eno second, and then Edge.

Last edited:
now this might sound ridiculous, but Winter sounds like it was inspired by....

get ready, drumroll, here it come....

coldplay.

Unfortunately I have. Its the one I dont listen to now the most. Thats not to say I havent listened to it numerous times searching for something good. The only thing good is Bonos voice.

For those who havent heard it yet, its being streamed at snoozefest.com

I sincerely hope you take this comment in the spirit of friendship that it's meant: Move on. You won't like anything U2 ever does again. It's not them, it's you. This happens sometimes.... No one is to blame.... but if Moment doesn't touch you, U2 won't ever be able to touch you again. :hug:

I really like this song- don't care that it's unfinished. Good thing is that finishing the song can only make it better! I probably like it because I tend to listen to the instruments prior to really listening to the lyrics. Love the opera ending too. For what its worth- i'm one of the ones in the mercy=awesome camp.

Its interesting how divided the opinion on Winter is. Almost like its a Mercy-backlash. The anti-Mercy.

Also its interesting how people get hung up on lyrics that seem too mundane or 'every day life'. "heavy like a truck". "force quit, move to trash". "scent from a new born baby's head".

Some people seem to really like abstract lyrics. "the altar of the dark star", "i'm at a place called vertigo", "where the streets have no name", "you and i will magnify".

Earlier in the thread, it seemed like many people heard similarities to Mercy in Winter, and some even thought it is Mercy, reworked. Maybe that's why some seem to love it and some don't?

Back
Top Bottom