Trump General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Supreme Court is definitely something to be concerned with, but Trump's conservatism seems to be basically focused on economics. He really isn't super conservative as far as social issues are concerned, so it will be interesting to see who he nominates. Does he give in to the party and nominate someone ultra conservative, or does he follow his own path and maybe nominate somebody moderate? We can only wait and see, but its possible it may not be the crisis it would be if Pence were atop the ticket.
In the meantime you live in a state that is as liberal as they come, that's frankly more important than anything on a federal level.
He gives in and nominates who they want so that they won't fight him on his big making America great plans.

We're fucked.

He gives in and nominates who they want so that they won't fight him on his big making America great plans.

We're fucked.

Yes, take a careful mental note of the across-the-isle relationship with the Republican never-Trump folks. Because in a month or two, you won't be playing for the same shit as half of them.

The Supreme Court is definitely something to be concerned with, but Trump's conservatism seems to be basically focused on economics. He really isn't super conservative as far as social issues are concerned, so it will be interesting to see who he nominates. Does he give in to the party and nominate someone ultra conservative, or does he follow his own path and maybe nominate somebody moderate? We can only wait and see, but its possible it may not be the crisis it would be if Pence were atop the ticket.
In the meantime you live in a state that is as liberal as they come, that's frankly more important than anything on a federal level.

If the news reports from the end of the primary are true that Trump was offering potential VP's basically complete control of policy, then it may be functionally the same as if Pence were at the top of the ticket.

We're fucked.

Or he nominates somebody moderate and gets full Dem backing in exchange for their backing of some other things, and there's enough middle leaning Repubs to get the nomination through .

Time will tell.

Or option 3, he forgets that he is supposed to nominate someone and we get an 8 justice SC till 2020

True, but it turns out keeping cool and calm is pretty hard to do when you've been dreading coming out as transgender for longer than you've been posting on this board (and it says I joined in 2002, so...) out of general fear of things like getting murdered, and just as it was starting to seem like it was getting less scary, the side that writes things like this wins. Supreme Court should reject Obama's radical social experiment (Commentary) | masslive.com

Jesus. I'm so sorry.

There are way too many groups in America that I feel the need to say that to in this new reality.

Jesus. I'm so sorry.

There are way too many groups in America that I feel the need to say that to in this new reality.

:(

Most people celebrating are white men who, from their perch of privilege have no idea what life is like for those around them.

:(

Most people celebrating are white men who, from their perch of privilege have no idea what life is like for those around them.

My whole Facebook today has been celebratory white women.

Oh and my gay male cousin who I want to punch in the face right now.

My whole Facebook today has been celebratory white women.

Oh and my gay male cousin who I want to punch in the face right now.

Yes, to be fair at least 50% of white women are no better. If anything, are worse.

I'm taking a social media break - 95% of my Facebook and Twitter are like-minded so it's not about avoiding gloating, I just don't want to talk about it or read about it at all right now. So .... see you guys around.

I'm trying to find any sliver of positivity at all in this nightmare. Regarding the SCOTUS, as of now, there's only one seat to fill, and that was Scalia's. He was already about as conservative a justice as one can imagine. Point being, appointing a conservative justice to that seat doesn't in itself alter the makeup of the court to the point where gay marriage or roe v wade or whatever else could be overturned. The five votes we had in June 2015 are still there. To truly change the makeup of the court, one of the four liberal justices, or Justice Kennedy, would need to pass or retire(or in the case of Kennedy, change his mind).

I am confident that none of them will willingly retire while the new POTUS is in office. We must just hope like we have never hoped before that none of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Stephen Breyer, or Thomas Kennedy passes in the next four years(Sotomayor and Kagen are young enough that I don't think we need to worry about them) and that we take back the White House in 2020.

I'm trying here, guys.

One reasonable way of looking at it. But honestly, there should have been a vote on Obamas nominee, and the GOP could have just voted him down.

Also, not a concept that replacement is similar to the first guy. T Marshall to C Thomas, what a radical shift.

Export Development Canada has already come out with a statement that a repeal of NAFTA combined with a 10% tariff (you will recall that Trump was talking about 30-40% tariffs in his speeches) would have the instant effect of cutting the Canadian GDP by 3.9%. Mexico would be obviously exponentially more catastrophic. So when you bankrupt your southern neighbours, I guess you best build that wall since the migration north will be like a sea of humanity.

(Nevermind what American consumers will be paying for products, could be a great case of buyers remorse when Walmart prices are more like Nordstroms.)

I think congressional term limits are something 75% of Americans favor.

Trump started touting that in the final weeks. It takes a true outsider to possibly make that happen.

Plus a five year waiting period for elected executive/congressfolks to enter certain lobbying industries

That can be a silver lining to a Trump presidency.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think congressional term limits are something 75% of Americans favor.

Trump started touting that in the final weeks. It takes a true outsider to possibly make that happen.

Plus a five year waiting period for elected executive/congressfolks to enter certain lobbying industries

That can be a silver lining to a Trump presidency.

This is the one solid and honest idea.

Which will NEVER happen because you'd require people to vote against their own self interest.

Which will NEVER happen because you'd require people to vote against their own self interest.

Chris Christie invested in the apple pie stock when it was just $5 a share, if I can semi-quote Trevor Noah. He's probably going to reward him. Conversely, Trump threatened to derail his opponents who didn't support him. I imagine the end is neigh for Paul Ryan.

This is asking for Trump to actually care about congressional term limits, which I don't think he will, but something tells me he could probably intimidate his congress into just about anything within his powers. Which is scary as fuck.

Statement of Angela Merkel:

“Germany and America are connected by values of democracy, freedom, and respect for the law and the dignity of man, independent of origin, skin colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or political views. I offer the next President of the United States close cooperation on the basis of these values. The partnership with the United States is and remains a foundation of German foreign policy."

Only somebody on the way out would go and stick it to him like this.

Again, trying to find bits and pieces of good where I can in the darkness.

Someone on CNN just said that if/when the ACA is repealed, the plan it would be replaced with would probably be Paul Ryan's plan. I am sure the plan on the whole will please me much less than the ACA fiscal conservatism, but the person on CNN said Ryan's plan would allow for people with pre-existing conditions to continue receiving coverage.

No idea if that's true, but need to hold on to anything at the moment. It would be one good thing if true.

My plan is pretty lenient to congressmen/women. Might be a passable proposal.

8 - 2 year terms in the house = 16 years

3 - 6 year terms in the senate = 18 years.

Granted many will slide from the house into the senate before a full sixteen years.

Let's say on average a politician will be there 14 years with this system. In some combination of roles.

We will cut down on the powerful dinosaurs that amass influence past 35 years. At that point many vote for their own power points than the will of their constituents.

Senators probably won't go for anything less than 18.

Right now the wind is at Donald's back with surprise hold of the senate. The current dinosaurs are nearing retirement so it won't effect them.

Someone on CNN just said that if/when the ACA is repealed, the plan it would be replaced with would probably be Paul Ryan's plan. I am sure the plan on the whole will please me much less than the ACA fiscal conservatism, but the person on CNN said Ryan's plan would allow for people with pre-existing conditions to continue receiving coverage.

No idea if that's true, but need to hold on to anything at the moment. It would be one good thing if true.

Trump wants make the insurance market closer to what you can do with car insurance options. Instead of being stuck with two shitty choices you could theoretically browse 20 plans to fit your lifestyle. Basically by opening up state markets

I would like the pre-existing conditions to remain as a basic human right.

Not much good at actuarial science. So I can see some insurers taking a bath on profitability

Plus trump wants families to be able to deduct child care expenses from their taxes at the end of the year.

More power in the hands of the individual instead a top down approach crafted by technocrats

It won't be repealed because there isn't a super majority for it.

But parts of it will almost certainly be reconciled.

Trump wants make the insurance market closer to what you can do with car insurance options. Instead of being stuck with two shitty choices you could theoretically browse 20 plans to fit your lifestyle. Basically by opening up state markets
Yeah, Republicans tried to push this before, it's not going to happen, and it shows they've had 8 years and they haven't done their research.

Medical procedures and licensing are defined differently from state to state. For example one state might define podiatry up to the ankle, the next state might define it as knee down. So a mid ankle break could be operated on by a podiatrist in one state, but not the other. So you have the nightmare of going in and defining the exemptions for all of these discrepancies, or you write it so broad with the worse case scenario as the base point to which you just increased my ankle surgery in TX by double because Illinois requires you to go to an orthopedic surgeon.

Plus trump wants families to be able to deduct child care expenses from their taxes at the end of the year.
I can like this :up:

Yeah, Republicans tried to push this before, it's not going to happen, and it shows they've had 8 years and they haven't done their research.

Medical procedures and licensing are defined differently from state to state. For example one state might define podiatry up to the ankle, the next state might define it as knee down. So a mid ankle break could be operated on by a podiatrist in one state, but not the other. So you have the nightmare of going in and defining the exemptions for all of these discrepancies, or you write it so broad with the worse case scenario as the base point to which you just increased my ankle surgery in TX by double because Illinois requires you to go to an orthopedic surgeon.

I can like this :up:

Lotta red tape. That's where Federalism cuts both ways. Give the states power, and you end up with different results. States are laboratories of Democracy. Co-opt what works and what doesn't.

So many states love the Colorado model on Marijuana and look at the spread on ballot initiatives.

Lotta red tape. That's where Federalism cuts both ways. Give the states power, and you end up with different results. States are laboratories of Democracy. Co-opt what works and what doesn't.

So many states love the Colorado model on Marijuana and look at the spread on ballot initiatives.

But, this is a result of us giving states the power :huh: hence why there is no universal definition therefore insurance won't work across borders.

But, this is a result of us giving states the power :huh: hence why there is no universal definition therefore insurance won't work across borders.

We put men on the moon. I'm hoping lawmakers can figure this out.

The election is over, but as citizens we need to remained engaged and lobby for good ideas.

We put men on the moon. I'm hoping lawmakers can figure this out.

The election is over, but as citizens we need to remained engaged and lobby for good ideas.

I agree. I'm just letting you know why that rehash won't work, unless there is federalism involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom