The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Volcano would of worked even better with the advert.

But I can also see why they chose The Miracle.

I wonder what made them think Miracle is a single :hmm:

I find this song meh. The chorus is weak...the build up is good but then.....it kinda drops off. The uh ohs are the only thing good on this song. I also think California would have made for a better first single.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

The only real thing that it lacks is a truly killer hook, imo. Otherwise, I think it does the job well for the most part.

I wasn't a big fan of The Miracle at first, but I should have known better. All U2 songs are growers and this is no exception. Could it be that this was initially supposed to be called
"Sirens". Bono has mentioned now in two interviews something about hearing Joey Ramones' "girly voice" was like hearing sirens (don't recall exact quotes). Just saying.

Not my favourite song on the album, but it fits the advert and sounds good on radio (even though they don't play it where I live, but they hardly ever play U2 at all).

This may have been asked before, but: Are there any signs that the band have made a video to go along with the song if it's really the single?

Are we going to get a music video for this song? Is it really the lead single? Or was Tim Cook just calling it that because they played it. Wish U2.com was giving us SOMETHING about singles, music videos, or tour news.

So what part of being part of a major press conference, being part of an iTunes commercial, and no other song being part of anything led you to the conclusion that this might not be the lead single?

Wondering what happened to the video they shot in Dublin on the bridge etc?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Wondering what happened to the video they shot in Dublin on the bridge etc?

I think it will be released within the next week or two at the most. They have a plan, they ALWAYS have a plan. It's not always a good one.....but they do have one ;)

Are we going to get a music video for this song? Is it really the lead single? Or was Tim Cook just calling it that because they played it. Wish U2.com was giving us SOMETHING about singles, music videos, or tour news.

The music videos are promotional tools and will be tied in with the physical release, since Universal are the ones paying for them. And they didn't spend all that money making expensive videos to promote a free record that they've already been paid for. That's why the band hasn't done much in person promotion either. Promotion is meant to sell something, and right now U2 doesn't have anything to sell. They want to be out there promoting it when there's something for people to buy, not when people can get it for free.

Apparently, it took some convincing to get U2's label to go along with this, and a chunk of that money went straight to Universal. They still want to sell CD's when this thing "officially" drops, hence the hold off on the videos and other promotion. It would not make much sense to heavily promote a record now that won't be on sale for a month.

My guess is that we'll see the video, and more band promotion, closer to when the physical album is released. Besides, U2 just got a boatload of "free" promotion for their free record.

So you people think we'll get a video with fake Edge on a bridge in rainy Dublin? Sounds exciting :lol:

My guess is it will be about U2 discovering the Ramones, hence the younger versions of themselves. Could be a cool video if done correctly.

I have a great experiment in relativity for everyone:

Step #1: Watch the GOYB video.
Step #2: Watch 'The Miracle' (Echoes) video from Apple.
Step #3: Try to watch the GOYB video without cringing or laughing hysterically.

Sometimes when people give GOYB any credit as a lead single I feel like I'm in some strange U2 twilight zone. From what I'm seeing/ hearing, 'The Miracle' has already blown GOYB out of the water.

Cleaner sound, genuine emotion, loads more musicality, and 10 times as cool. In fact, it's getting to Vertigo levels for me, if not surpassing it.

For me, lyrically it blows Boots out of the water. I can identify with the song (we all have had that first song experience) and I can follow it(I know what the song is about). To this day, I still don't know what the shit GOYB is really about and even if I did, its not identifiable.

As I type this, the Miracle commercial is playing during the Steelers game!

For me, lyrically it blows Boots out of the water. I can identify with the song (we all have had that first song experience) and I can follow it(I know what the song is about). To this day, I still don't know what the shit GOYB is really about and even if I did, its not identifiable.

Get on your boots was about a funfair Bono and his family were at while they heard jets going to Iraq. Bono did not like that. That's what it was about. Let me in the sound was a play on words with sound/water/birth water/born again christian/sound in a concert as a communal experience put together. It's like wanting to escape to something better than what was happening.

Wow! That was convoluted. :lol:

Ah man. Watched GOYB video for the first time. Jesus.

If you ever need to convince someone that U2 is garbage, look no further than that. As such I'll be trying to forget that video exists. And I will not be listening to GOYB (it's even worse now).

Ah man. Watched GOYB video for the first time. Jesus.

If you ever need to convince someone that U2 is garbage, look no further than that. As such I'll be trying to forget that video exists. And I will not be listening to GOYB (it's even worse now).

Should we judge you from a single post...if so...haven't you already been judged? Saying something like "U2 is garbage and then pointing to one song...I can point out magical mystery tour beatles...or if you think some other band is infallable...please feel free to inform us about this infallable band.

Boots were a bit of song about emancipation. The idea was basically if human race was led more by women and not men macho pronciple it could all turn out better for mankind :) Because thanks to their birth giving ability and motherhood they are generally more sensitive and less destructive, so the song is kind of a tribute to women and support of women leadership.

Let me say the video is mindblowing...

And so is the song :)

The added bonus of this song, which I really really like now (it wasn't even a favorite on first listen) is that it made me rediscover the Ramones. I had a greatest hits CD but never paid it that much attention beyond a casual listen here and there. I am listening to Rocket to Russia album and it's great stuff! Rudimentary instrumentation and simple lyrics but somehow it all works and creates something unique and powerful.

Should we judge you from a single post...if so...haven't you already been judged? Saying something like "U2 is garbage and then pointing to one song...I can point out magical mystery tour beatles...or if you think some other band is infallable...please feel free to inform us about this infallable band.

Woah, I'm not saying U2 is garbage. They are my favorite band. I would not be on a forum dedicated to them if they were not. I was just making a joke. If you watch the GOYB video alone, it looks like U2 is a pretty crappy band. But I obviously don't believe they are.

GOYB just appeared and sounded too formulaic after the success of Vertigo (too many echoes of Vertigo). There are obviously some interesting ideas in the song but I don't know if U2 were able to make it work which was what I feel about NLOTH today. Interesting ideas and sounds but somehow they don't add up... I think that kind of preconception turned me off from The Miracle at first b/c the first thought was Vertigo part 3 after hearing the riff. It's not actually the case after taking in the album for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom