The 2010-2011 NBA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh_snap_chocolate_bunny_easter_card-p1375243380226618287l0u_325.jpg

the lakers season has been fascinating to watch, with their up and down play... i have to believe they'll have more of these fluctuations as the season goes along... coasting for a while, then turning it on to show they can still do it, then coasting again, before eventually turning it on in the playoffs.

This is getting ridiculous:

The Post has learned the Nuggets made a whopping demand one week ago that is more exorbitant than recent reports. According to a league source debriefed on Carmelo Anthony negotiations, Denver asked for Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, Landry Fields, Raymond Felton,Timofey Mosgov and a first-round pick (obtained via Anthony Randolph) for Anthony and point guard Chauncey Billups.

What's next? Do they also want the Knicks to include Madison Square Garden in the trade?

Any of these Top 4 matchups in the East will be a blast, and we're mostly guaranteed two of these in the second round:

Chicago/Miami, Chicago/Boston, Orlando/Miami, Orlando/Boston, Boston/Miami, Orlando/Chicago

Holy shit.

I have no idea how the West will shake out.

But sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Denver Nuggets -- after widespread reports on Wednesday said the Nets have indeed rejoined the New York Knicks in trying to trade for Anthony -- are operating under the assumption that Prokhorov and Anthony will finally meet face-to-face at All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles

exactly what does "sources close to the situation are acting under the assumption" that a meeting will take place mean?

chris broussard says a meeting will take place because somebody close to the nuggets thinks it will?

from the bergen record...

The Nets and Nuggets have reached a tentative agreement on a deal involving Carmelo Anthony, multiple NBA sources told The Record. The deal is pending Anthony agreeing to sign a three-year, $65 million contract extension.

If Anthony says yes, the Nets will get Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Sheldon Williams, Melvin Ely and Renaldo Balkman from the Nuggets. In turn, the Nets will send Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Troy Murphy, Ben Uzoh and four first-round picks to Denver.

The Nets won’t do the trade unless Anthony agrees to the extension. They’re expected to meet with him during this All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles to try and convince him to join them.

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, general manager Billy King, CEO Brett Yormark and part-owner Jay-Z are in Los Angeles and likely will meet with Anthony to try and sell him on the future of the franchise and the move to Brooklyn.

this would be tentative deal #3.

He would be stupid to go there. There's no way the Nets will be a contender by giving up so much in the trade.

The Knicks roster after the proposed Curry+Felton+Gallinari+Fields+Mosgov+pick(likely acquired for Randolph) for Melo+Billups would look like this:

Turiaf/?
Amare/S.Williams
Anthony/?
Chandler/Walker
Billups/Douglas
(knowing D'Antoni though, he'd probably play Amare at C, Melo at PF, Chandler at SF, and start Douglas at SG, and they'd get killed.)

There's other players on the roster but they've hardly played. This would be the rotation unless NY gets more players back. Chandler playing out of position, no front court depth. It just doesn't seem smart to me to give up that much. The Nuggets have been asking for too much from everybody.

There is some speculation, however, that Jimmy Dolan might overrule Walsh if Walsh won't do it.

namkcuR said:
The Knicks roster after the proposed Curry+Felton+Gallinari+Fields+Mosgov+pick(likely acquired for Randolph) for Melo+Billups would look like this:

Turiaf/?
Amare/S.Williams
Anthony/?
Chandler/Walker
Billups/Douglas
(knowing D'Antoni though, he'd probably play Amare at C, Melo at PF, Chandler at SF, and start Douglas at SG, and they'd get killed.).

First off, the Knicks had their best stretch when Amar'e started at the 5 and chandler started at the 4. In that scenario melo would still play his natural 3. It would more or less be the same lineup they've won the most game with, with melo and player x replacing gallo and fields. Ideal? No. Killed with that lineup? Come on... no way.

Mozgov has barely started this year. He went a month+ where he never saw the floor, and Turiaf was injured at the same time.

They also have azabuke just about ready to return from injury. Many thought he would be the starting 2 this season, before his injury turned out to be worse than expected.

That said, holding on to fields would be the key to the deal for me. He can stay at his natural 2 position. That gives them a quality starting 5... bench would ne very thin, but there undoubtedly will be vets who are bought out after the trade deadline. Expect earl barron, who played very well for the Knicks at the end if the season last year, to be resigned to help fill out the roster.

I am fine with the reported deal as long as fields is taken out. They can address position issues in the offseason. I'm not expecting a serious title run this year. I'm expecting it next year.

First off, the Knicks had their best stretch when Amar'e started at the 5 and chandler started at the 4. In that scenario melo would still play his natural 3. It would more or less be the same lineup they've won the most game with, with melo and player x replacing gallo and fields. Ideal? No. Killed with that lineup? Come on... no way.

Mozgov has barely started this year. He went a month+ where he never saw the floor, and Turiaf was injured at the same time.

They also have azabuke just about ready to return from injury. Many thought he would be the starting 2 this season, before his injury turned out to be worse than expected.

That said, holding on to fields would be the key to the deal for me. He can stay at his natural 2 position. That gives them a quality starting 5... bench would ne very thin, but there undoubtedly will be vets who are bought out after the trade deadline. Expect earl barron, who played very well for the Knicks at the end if the season last year, to be resigned to help fill out the roster.

I am fine with the reported deal as long as fields is taken out. They can address position issues in the offseason. I'm not expecting a serious title run this year. I'm expecting it next year.

I didn't know they played Amare at C for an extended stretch this season - I thought Amare had made a point in the offseason about wanting to play his natural position and not wanting to play C...although I guess with Turiaf/Mosgov there wasn't much of a choice but to play him at C.

Anyway, now apparently Gallinari is the sticking point rather than Fields?

Gallinari Sticking Point To Getting Deal Done For Carmelo? - RealGM Wiretap

The Knicks' refusal so far to include Danilo Gallinari is reportedly the sticking point to completion of a trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to New York.

The Knicks and Nuggets continue to talk and Frank Isola of the New York Daily News reports that Chauncey Billups and Anthony Carter are two players who would be coming back to New York in any deal. Presumably Raymond Felton would be headed to Denver in such a trade.

If I was Knicks' management, I would also try very hard to keep Gallinari out of the deal if I could. Dude's a baller.

I really did not think that this was possible, but the Carmello drama has become more obnoxious than that of LeBron last summer. Some revisions need to be made to the free-agency rules. I don't know what those revisions are, but it's fairly ridiculous that one player has commandeered this much attention.

If I was Knicks' management, I would also try very hard to keep Gallinari out of the deal if I could. Dude's a baller.

I would rather trade Gallinari than Fields. Agree?

I really did not think that this was possible, but the Carmello drama has become more obnoxious than that of LeBron last summer.

I disagree...it's annoying, but isn't 'Melo kind of doing what people wished LeBron had done?

Steep price, but you gotta do this deal. They could still have reasonable cap room in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom