Sydney III Setlist & Watch Party ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
Wow, awesome show, especially I Will Follow and the disorganised but really, really fun Party Girl. Sydney II was probably still better, but this one felt like a party, it was really upbeat and awesome. I noticed the set last posted lacked a couple of snippets, so here's what I put up on U2VT:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo / Pump It Up (snippet)
Elevation / Spinning Around (snippet) / I Should Be So Lucky (snippet)
I Will Follow
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Blackbird (snippet)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Angel Of Harlem
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / No Regrets (snippet)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (snippet) / One

Encore(s):
Until The End Of The World
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You
The Saints Are Coming
Party Girl / I Should Be So Lucky (snippet)
Kite

There was also something else snippeted at the end of Beautiful Day after Blackbird (maybe in French?), but I have no damn clue what it was.

Oh yeah, and the kid on stage during SBS was GREAT, really passionate. He yelled out the "no more"s with lots of enthusiasm.

I...I...

That's just a bloody awesome setlist. Hopefully they'll play something interesting like that for Melbourne I. If Melbourne II get a better setlist I might stab someone :wink:

Earnie Shavers said:
Photo that will no doubt end up in PLEBA and in a million signatures - Bono wandering down the ramp holding the microphone from behind so it was sticking out, umm, between his legs, and waving it around at the front rows.

Lots more, but my head is spinning. Un-fucking-believable show.

What song was that? :shifty:

Last edited:
Benh5555 said:
Was Sydney III concert sold out like 2 previous Sydney concerts?

Was it a half empty stadium or almost full?
Not sold out. Probably 2/3 full. Capacity is 70,000 and I'm guessing there was 45,000 - 50,000 people there.

AndrewCowley said:

Not sold out. Probably 2/3 full. Capacity is 70,000 and I'm guessing there was 45,000 - 50,000 people there.
wow sounds emptier than thought it would be :|

Galeongirl said:

What song was that? :shifty:

I can't remember. Pretty early in the set, maybe around New Years Day/Beautiful Day? On Adams side. As soon as he did it, I saw 2 dozen flashes go off and I instantly thought "that'll be in PLEBA first thing in the morning".

U2Man said:
How embarrasing.

Not really. Out of a potential 225,000 tickets in Sydney, 210,000 were sold. What was missing were the last 10-15 rows of the upper, upper, upper level. It's not like you really notice that far back either. The lighting hardly ever reaches that far back, it's up hiding in the darkness regardless of whether it's full or empty.

200,000+ is mammoth in Sydney. I was going to have a look around this morning because I'm pretty sure it would be this cities record for one act in one visit - which I think Bono hinted at during the show. The way I see it, you had two capacity shows - an amazing achievement on it's own - and then a 3rd put on for all of us who wanted/needed to see it again, which I bet is what made up a majority of that crowd.

Can anyone else here think of a Sydney tour that pulled more people? Ever? All of those 10 night stands at the Entertainment Centre or wherever are still only nudging over 100,000. Michael Jackson did two nights at the SCG over a decade ago, but he only used half of it, so you're probably looking at 150-160,000. I've never heard of an act doing more than 2 nights at the SFS, and that's less than 100K total. I'm pretty sure this would be the record.

Earnie Shavers said:

Can anyone else here think of a Sydney tour that pulled more people? Ever? All of those 10 night stands at the Entertainment Centre or wherever are still only nudging over 100,000. Michael Jackson did two nights at the SCG over a decade ago, but he only used half of it, so you're probably looking at 150-160,000. I've never heard of an act doing more than 2 nights at the SFS, and that's less than 100K total. I'm pretty sure this would be the record.
In the mid 80's Dire Straits did a mammoth run of shows at the Sydney Entertainment Centre. 21 shows (source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_Straits). The total attendance for this will have topped U2's total attendence here.

Earnie Shavers said:

Not really. Out of a potential 225,000 tickets in Sydney, 210,000 were sold. What was missing were the last 10-15 rows of the upper, upper, upper level. It's not like you really notice that far back either. The lighting hardly ever reaches that far back, it's up hiding in the darkness regardless of whether it's full or empty.

200,000+ is mammoth in Sydney. I was going to have a look around this morning because I'm pretty sure it would be this cities record for one act in one visit - which I think Bono hinted at during the show. The way I see it, you had two capacity shows - an amazing achievement on it's own - and then a 3rd put on for all of us who wanted/needed to see it again, which I bet is what made up a majority of that crowd.

This sounds amazing!
Greetings to Australia, it is really one of the most beautiful countries in the world and obviously a great U2 fan base.

you're all having orgasms on the saints are coming-party girl-kite encore?????tell me i'm wrong.
kite saves the day.
the saints are coming???is that song something special or something that band likes or God forbidd something that the crowd asked for with a great 40ft lemon?????
NOPE.this song,if it should be played at all,should be at the begining. Party girl???where is fly,zoo station, bad???anything!!

UTEOTW-MW???that's like so special

Pero said:
you're all having orgasms on the saints are coming-party girl-kite encore?????tell me i'm wrong.
kite saves the day.
the saints are coming???is that song something special or something that band likes or God forbidd something that the crowd asked for with a great 40ft lemon?????
NOPE.this song,if it should be played at all,should be at the begining. Party girl???where is fly,zoo station, bad???anything!!

UTEOTW-MW???that's like so special
Were you there? Having seen it all 4 times I can say that Saints is an awesome encore song. The crowd are way into it. I find it very refreshing that U2 can play a brand new song and the crowd (1) know it well (we were all singing the words) and (2) generally go nuts jumping up and down. Saints causes more of a rush than Pride and NYD earlier in the set.

AndrewCowley said:

Were you there? Having seen it all 4 times I can say that Saints is an awesome encore song. The crowd are way into it. I find it very refreshing that U2 can play a brand new song and the crowd (1) know it well (we were all singing the words) and (2) generally go nuts jumping up and down. Saints causes more of a rush than Pride and NYD earlier in the set.

If I would be able to choose between the worst U2 song ever and a lousy cover song (actually, any cover song), I would choose the former.

On Friday, going into the first show, I didn't care for Saints, kind of annoyed I knew it was going to be in there and 'stealing' the spot of another 'true' U2 song, but going into last night I was really looking forward to it. They blister through it, the crowd loves it, and it's actually the #1 single in Australia this week. It's a short, loud, fun, manic song live and it has been a highlight both times I've seen it now.

I think you'll also find people loved the last couple of encores last night because they were so much fun. Were the song choices that special? No. But the way they were performed was. Plenty of people are describing it as a real party atmosphere, and it was. I'm sure video will surface soon - check out Axvers footage of Party Girl, and hopefully soon Until the End of the World (not that you'll see much of Bono in it, as he spent most of it down in the crowd).

I´m positive the performance was excellent, but I do believe it could have been much better for the hardcore fans who went to all three shows. And it would satisfy the casuals as well.

djerdap said:
I´m positive the performance was excellent, but I do believe it could have been much better for the hardcore fans who went to all three shows. And it would satisfy the casuals as well.
I went to all 3 Sydney shows (4 if you include Brisbane) and having not seen the guys in 8 years trust me there is no need to feel sorry for us. It is a privilege to see them play! And trust me again that Saints really does work as an encore. It's new, fresh and lots of fun.

If I didn't attend, and just read that setlist, I'd agree wholeheartedly. However, I think last night they could have ended by playing the theme from Sesame Street and it would have brought the house down.

Earnie Shavers said:
If I didn't attend, and just read that setlist, I'd agree wholeheartedly. However, I think last night they could have ended by playing the theme from Sesame Street and it would have brought the house down.
Yes, agreed. This is becoming reminscent of the Vertigo x2 arguments. The setlist analysts hated it (for the same reasons as given here; stealing the place of another song etc...) but many who were actually there said it was great.

Lets just accept there's a difference between being there in person and being part of a setlist party thread! And remember that most people really do only see one show. We are not most people. I got into the GA line at 10:30am for Sydney 2 and 3 and chatting to those around me many people were amazed that I was seeing multiple shows, even more surprised to hear I am travelling around the country. So even the pointy end of the GA line is seeing one show only.

AndrewCowley said:

Quite right Andrew. Why do people, who did not attend a show, feel the need to swipe at the people who were at the show by saying the set list was nothing special?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but a lot of people here are seeing U2 for the first time and maybe they liked what they heard and saw. We all have different tastes. I know I'm always on a real buzz after leaving a great show and for someone to jump in and piss on your parade by finding non existent faults just pisses you off, so I can understand where Andrew is coming from.

I could easily sit here and say that the set lists have nothing on those I saw during the Joshua Tree/Lovetown and Zoo TV tours because those eras are my favorite, but that is just my opinion. I still loved the sets I saw during UF/Pop/Elevation and Vertigo. It really wouldn't matter to me what they played because they have been my favorite band for the best part of 20+ years.

Those who went, I'm glad you had a good time.

^ second that.

Reading all this is making me very impatient for Thursday, and for Melb II - what will they do for the last show of the Oz tour?

U2's setlist cater to everyone...and are highly choreographed so if you're looking for major 'surprises' in the setlist you'll be highly disappointed. U2 aren't like Pearl Jam or other bands who play a varied setlist every show or throw in little known songs every show. They just don't. Hardcore fans or not, we all get the same show and U2 have never really been known to change up the setlist ever.

They work within the structure of their show, and I must say I've rarely ever been disappointed seeming them live, even when I knew the setlist inside and out, forward and backward.

Awesome show........ for me the highlights were Streets, WOWY (crowd was really into it... reports of its live demise... based on the sydney shows seem baseless), and of course UTEOTW and Mysterious Ways. I was upset to see The Fly replaced, but man the endinng of Mysterious Ways made up for that.

I saw all three Sydney shows, they were my first u2 shows, and they were spectacular. I would say Sydney 2 was the best. Cant wait for the Melbourne shows!!!!

I would've prefered Out Of Control rather than I Will Follow if they were gonna bring back an older one but IWF should still be good.

Bir surprised 'Stay' hasn't been played on this leg. It was one of the highlights on the Sydney DVD.

Hopefully Walk On comes back in And 'Stuck' is played in Melbourne.

I can't wait! So excited. 4 days to go!!

Back
Top Bottom