Sydney III Setlist & Watch Party ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:
How embarrasing.

Yes, how terribly embarrassing for Sydney, the only city IN THE WORLD to outdo Sydney for Vertigo Tour attendance is Dublin.

Los Angeles, New York, London, Milan, Buenos Aires - none of them passed the 200,000 mark. Only Dublin and Sydney did.

I wonder now will they revert back to the Brisbane and Sydney 1 setlist for Adelaide? I liked Yahweh and heck would like to see some of the other Bomb songs like All Because Of You and Crumbs. I have loved the shows to pieces but it's now a toss up as to whether this is the HTDAAB tour or the U218 tour.

AndrewCowley said:

In the mid 80's Dire Straits did a mammoth run of shows at the Sydney Entertainment Centre. 21 shows (source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_Straits). The total attendance for this will have topped U2's total attendence here.

Didn't the Beatles have 300,000 people outside thier hotel in the summer of 1964? I've seen the photos and video.

AndrewCowley said:
I wonder now will they revert back to the Brisbane and Sydney 1 setlist for Adelaide? I liked Yahweh and heck would like to see some of the other Bomb songs like All Because Of You and Crumbs. I have loved the shows to pieces but it's now a toss up as to whether this is the HTDAAB tour or the U218 tour.

My predictions for remaining Oz dates are as follows:

Adelaide - Same set as Brisbane/Sydney1

Melbourne1 - Sydney 2 set

Melbourne2 - Brisbane/Sydney1 set (maybe with MW replacing Zoo Station)

I definately think it's now the unofficial U218 Tour.

Is Sydney III the only show on the Vertigo tour to not sell out by the show date? Not saying it's bad, cause 200,000+ in Sydney is really fucking good. I know Honolulu isn't sold out yet, but it still has a few weeks to go.

U2FanPeter said:

Didn't the Beatles have 300,000 people outside thier hotel in the summer of 1964? I've seen the photos and video.
The important distinction here is we are referring to paying concert go'ers at a proper concert. Are we comparing apples and apples here?

Ive seen Bris, Syd 2 and 3, and Syd 3 was amazing. Great set list, and I wasnt a fan of saints until i saw it live - what a song to get the crowd pumped even more. Party Girl was a surprise, but Bono looked a little fake trying to make the crowd believe they had stuffed up the song, although it was great for pure entertainment value. Love and Peace or Else just continues to be my dark horse of the shows - it is brilliant! Maybe because we actually get to see Larry!

Well its onto Melb 1 and 2 for me :) Cant wait!

I know INXS did a 2 week "victory lap" tour of euro stadiums and festival for 2 weeks in 88 - including 2 nights at Wembley of full audiences.

I know Jacko was mentioned, but the BAD tour is when he did some really big numbers(7 nights at Wembley!!!) Did that tour go down under?

I also wonder about Genesis, who were a stadium act on both sides of the Atlantic abd likely made trips down under.

u2fp

I posted this earlier. Without any doubt Dire Straits hold the record. U2 did NOT break it with these 3 shows. Dire Straits did *21* sold out concerts at the Sydney Entertainment Centre back in the mid 80's. 21 x 13,000 (my guess at the crowd size) = 273,000. I will stand corrected if anyone wants to post otherwise, but I believe this talk about U2 breaking records is wrong. Wishful thinking.

drifter269 said:
Ive seen Bris, Syd 2 and 3, and Syd 3 was amazing. Great set list, and I wasnt a fan of saints until i saw it live - what a song to get the crowd pumped even more. Party Girl was a surprise, but Bono looked a little fake trying to make the crowd believe they had stuffed up the song, although it was great for pure entertainment value. Love and Peace or Else just continues to be my dark horse of the shows - it is brilliant! Maybe because we actually get to see Larry!

Well its onto Melb 1 and 2 for me :) Cant wait!

That was no fake look from Bono...Party Girl was a shambles!! It's gone almost as badly as that before believe it or not, but they evidently never rehearse it. Bono always forgets his lyrics, so it's a good job Edge remembers both those and his guitar parts or it could have been worse!!!

Enjoy the Melbourne shows!

AndrewCowley said:
I posted this earlier. Without any doubt Dire Straits hold the record. U2 did NOT break it with these 3 shows. Dire Straits did *21* sold out concerts at the Sydney Entertainment Centre back in the mid 80's. 21 x 13,000 (my guess at the crowd size) = 273,000. I will stand corrected if anyone wants to post otherwise, but I believe this talk about U2 breaking records is wrong. Wishful thinking.

True. But comparing arenas in the 80's to stadiums in the 00's is apples and oranges. For starters you have to factor in inflation etc etc, which I'm sure would come out on side of U2. But also I would imagine it is much more difficult to sell 70,000 seats in a stadium in one night, than 70,000 in an arena over 3 nights by virtue of the fact you need to flog off seats that are miles and miles away. I'm sure the only record they would be claiming is for Telstra Stadium, which means they beat the Rolling Stones and a couple of shindigs back when it opened. No biggie.

But the attendance for these shows sure makes the caution from the promoters look rather silly. Weren't we talking about not being sure if they could sell out Telstra Stadium one night and that they might put the stage half way! :lol:

timothius said:

True. But comparing arenas in the 80's to stadiums in the 00's is apples and oranges. For starters you have to factor in inflation etc etc, which I'm sure would come out on side of U2. But also I would imagine it is much more difficult to sell 70,000 seats in a stadium in one night, than 70,000 in an arena over 3 nights by virtue of the fact you need to flog off seats that are miles and miles away. I'm sure the only record they would be claiming is for Telstra Stadium, which means they beat the Rolling Stones and a couple of shindigs back when it opened. No biggie.
I think limiting the horizon to just a few shows at a new venue is short sighted. So I'll still put Dire Staits at the top of the tree as a far as attendance records in Sydney is concerned. Bottom line is on that tour back in the 80's Dire Straits played to more people in Sydney than U2 just did. Dunno why I'm pushing this as I find Dire Straits particularly boring.

Dire Straits history at the EntCent:

http://www.sydentcent.com.au/index.cfm?s=content&p=event_searchresults&yyyy_mm=&keyword=dire

I'm sure the record would have to come from something like this, as stadium gigs are very rare here. There would be a lot of years where there are none at all, and I've never heard of more than 2 at any venue, with Telstra Stadium being easily the largest (and it is usually the Sydney Football Stadium - home of ZooTV & Popmart - which is half the size).

Dire Straits - what the fuck was Sydney thinking? Go the 80's...

No, any city that only got one Bomb heavy arena show got fucked. Sydney got 29 (?) songs over 3 nights from a band clearly relaxed and having fun with 210,000 people singing along at the top of their lungs, having not seen U2 for nearly a decade. However, if by "fucked" you mean an experience that left me physically and emotionally drained and needing a stiff drink and a cigarette, you would be correct.

:yes:

When the Australian tour is done, we need an Australia got fucked thread, because otherwise everyone else in Australia will feel left out. :(

neilm said:

That was no fake look from Bono...Party Girl was a shambles!! It's gone almost as badly as that before believe it or not, but they evidently never rehearse it. Bono always forgets his lyrics, so it's a good job Edge remembers both those and his guitar parts or it could have been worse!!!

IT WAS FAKE

Bono has done the old forget the lyrics with Party Girl before on the Eurpoean leg of the tour - its meant to be funny. If you dont believe me, let me know and i'll find the reviews for you to read from our European friends

drifter269 said:

IT WAS FAKE

Bono has done the old forget the lyrics with Party Girl before on the Eurpoean leg of the tour - its meant to be funny. If you dont believe me, let me know and i'll find the reviews for you to read from our European friends
so how does that make it fake?, it is possible the stuffed it up in europe aswell,

drifter269 said:

IT WAS FAKE

Anyone who knows anything about Bono's dreadful memory knows it is quite real. Party Girl certainly isn't the only song to have suffered like this. Are you perhaps familiar with a little number called Walk On and Bono's attempts to sing it last year?

Plus, Bono's never quite stuffed up Party Girl that spectacularly before. That had to be the technically shoddiest version the band has ever played.

Anyway, U2 are perfectionists (Bono's memory notwithstanding). I find your argument hard to believe.

Axver said:

Anyone who knows anything about Bono's dreadful memory knows it is quite real. Party Girl certainly isn't the only song to have suffered like this. Are you perhaps familiar with a little number called Walk On and Bono's attempts to sing it last year?

Plus, Bono's never quite stuffed up Party Girl that spectacularly before. That had to be the technically shoddiest version the band has ever played.

Anyway, U2 are perfectionists (Bono's memory notwithstanding). I find your argument hard to believe.

Spot On Axver.

As much as Party Girl is not meant to be a serious song at all, if it was a planned addition to the set list, it would have been rehearsed and played relatively well. I've seen them play it quite a few times in the past and I can tell you that it's never, ever been played as badly as it was last night. Not even close!!!

The fact remains it was evidently unplanned, and as Axver rightly says, technically the shoddiest version of the song the band has ever played. There is no way they would go out and purposely do that, even with a sense of humour.

Still it was fun to watch and listen too (from the You Tube clip on Axver's site as I did not attend Sydney 3).

Ps - drifter269 - I am actually English although I am a permanent resident here in Oz. 40+ of the U2 shows I've seen were in the UK and Europe.

Last edited:
Just arrived home from 5 days in Sydney, what a blast!

6th row A Reserved on Edge’s side, great view Friday night - same setlist as Brisbane. Crowd was pretty mellow in and around the elipse, still a good show. Celeb sightings - Sharon Stone was in the elipse.

Lined up at 6am on Saturday morning and was 70th in line, came down with the flu, shocking security – an absolute MESS (apparently GA had gone through this the day before with Syd 1 including bag searches by police and sniffer dogs). The American ‘line number chicky’ from the Brisbane show was there handing out tickets and co-ordinating a great line only to have security shatter her duties by pushing us all forward to the front of the line where some evil fans sneakily crept closer to the GA gates. Ended up on the rail, right b-stage absolute BLAST. The press were great and allowed space for me to shoot pics as bono came up onto the b-stage during COBL. Bono posed in front of me for a few pics and loved my mate and I giving him a solid two thumbs up on a few occasions, he passed on a few wicked grins as did Larry and Adam when they ventured down, Adam posed for a couple of pics too, I will post when developed. The crowd was absolutely nuts for syd 2. Main setlist changes were 'walk on' replaced with 'stuck in a moment' and ‘desire’ acoustic which ended up with bono gathering the group together for a full band version! Absolutely brilliant, even if they did have to improvise a little on the songs structure. A great show! 10/10! - Dedications also went out to Kate Blanchette (sp?)..

Last night we had 3rd row a reserve on Adams side – this ended up being front row as row 2 (there was no row 1?) was empty. Clear view and no one in front of us. Bit of a setlist shake up with the addition of ‘I will follow’, no ‘Zoo station’ encore, ‘UTEOTW’ flowed in after the slot machines and followed with ‘Mysterious ways’. 'Party girl' was as much of a surprise for us as it was for the band, there was some improvisation once again as there was with ‘Desire’ the night before - it still sounded great. Bono drenched the elipsers’ with champagne and guzzled down his own few mouthfuls too. He promised he wouldn’t make us wait so long until next time – fingers crossed. There were heavy rumours circulating at one stage that Kylie was to join him, it never happened. There was also dedication to Michael Hutchence, and thanks to Midnight Oil, I assume they were there. Bono thanked everyone for 'The Saints' going to number 1 - a brilliant song indeed!

This morning while having breakfast I managed to find myself on the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald, a great shot that was taken on Saturday night, anyone on the b-stage rail (Adams side) check it out - your famous! :wink:

May have missed bits here and there, Syd 2 was the major high point of the 4 shows attended. Have met many more lucky people going to all shows in Oz and New Zealand, to those who are - have a blast!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom