*Spoilers* - Rehearsals in Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/TomZillich
1) Not seeing a lot of chatter about #U2 private show in Vancouver last night... dress rehearsal for tour for 750 people at Pacific Coliseum

2 ) People there said it was amazing... Hosted by NetJets, a jet company financially backed by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway.

3 ) ... NetJets invited Special Olympians and also veterans, I'm told. #U2 played a lot of new stuff, but classics toward show end

4 ) "Very unique stage" says viewer. No cellphones allowed, had to be surrendered to security.

There are sponsors for dress rehearsal gigs now? And the sponsor was NetJets. Just in time to supply the lavish jet that the boys will be cruising the world in this year.

There are sponsors for dress rehearsal gigs now? And the sponsor was NetJets. Just in time to supply the lavish jet that the boys will be cruising the world in this year.
They also "sponsored" the Denver 360º dress rehearsal a few years ago.

I just hope this new long stage that covers the entire floor of the arena wasn't created just to be able to fit SALESFORCE.COM on the top of it. Has there been any news on the concert app they were creating for the band.

Should they be driving a beat up 1993 Chevy G20 van across the country to hold onto the hipster street cred then?

Nope, I don't blame them at all for taking what people are willing to give them. Whatever it takes to put their minds at ease so they can go out and play a kick ass show every night is just fine by me.

Gotta admit I'd prefer some different song choices that what I've seen, but honestly these guys are great and I'm sure whatever they play will be fantastic. I'm more of a Pop fan myself and would love to hear Mofo, Do You Feel Loved, Please. Also am on the Acrobat fan club. Who knows, maybe they mix it up for this tour and blend in some of those. I enjoy the new album and really hope they work in SLABT. I actually think they could make that work live...they could make that song monster when the guitar comes in. Anyway, looking forward to seeing them in Boston...it will be great!

For what it's worth, what are the # of shows, distance, and money quotas that I have to spend to be let into every dress rehearsal? Do I have to keep my receipts for proof?

I think minimum you have to spend 51,000 $ to get a free show and have to have traveled 20,000 km and attended at least 50 shows to be that elite fan that gets in to a free concert! You have to fill a form and show all proof of shows payment and travel. :)

Does reporting on every single show for over a decade count for the superfan rehearsal entry? I've got to get some sort of reward out of this one of these days, right?

Does reporting on every single show for over a decade count for the superfan rehearsal entry? I've got to get some sort of reward out of this one of these days, right?

You just fall a tad short on the "likes U2" criterion.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I have ZERO sympathy for anybody who "lingered" around that dress rehearsal and didn't get in. Why any fan would feel they are entitled to it just because of how many shows they've seen or how far they traveled or how much money they've spent on the band is beyond me. Absolutely absurd to think you shoud be let in. If you had been let in great but if not oh well. Acting like self important, entitled whiners is embarassing and boycotting the shows because of it is childish and stupid. It's painfully obvious nobody is boycotting the shows because of being "physically" threatened by U2 staff. This all boils down to an odd sense of entitlement and feeling as thoug they were snubbed by the band. You are not royalty. And let's be VERY REAL, what caused the U2 staff to "threaten" anyone. Maybe I'm wrong but honestly what I've been reading just sounds like self important fans who feel butthurt they weren't shown the "respect" they deserve. You didn't have tickets to the dress rehearsal, you weren't invited so being disapointed you didn't get in based on your level of fandom or that you've gotten in, in the past is pathetic. Sorry but it's true. Boycott the shows. Go ahead. Guaranteed you'll regret it.

As for Springsteen, I can't picture his fans camped out reporting dress rehearsal setlists minute by minute.

I'm a big Springsteen fan, but his concerts are totally different from U2 concerts. Honestly, there were a couple of his shows where I was checking my watch at the end wondering wtf. His concerts are like a big block party, and you listen to the old songs and you feel all nostalgic. U2 shows are an event, a complete spectacle of technology and music. When you come out of a great U2 show, you can literally feel drained, physically and emotionally.

I first saw U2 in 1985 on the Unforgettable Fire Tour and I've seen multiple shows on every tour since. I've also seen Bruce over 200 times and am part of a group that has seen thousands of Springsteen shows in total. Bruce's rehearsals are always reported on. He often rehearses in Convention Hall in Asbury Park and people camp out and every second is reported on. Beyond that, the Springsteen fan talk over a set list FAR exceeds U2 (as you would expect when 150-200 songs are being played on a tour and the set changes radically every night). There is absolutely no comparison, this board gets 1/100th the discussion the main Springsteen discussion sites gets on these issues.

Bruce generally ends the rehearsals with public shows in Asbury in Convention Hall, which holds around 2500 people. He did that in 2000, 2002, 2005 (this was an acoustic tour and the rehearsal shows were in the Paramount Theater next to Convention Hall), 2006, 2007, and 2009 but did not do it in 2012 prior to the Wrecking Ball Tour. I've attended every one of those shows and they are a great treat. He handles it one way and U2 handles it another. They do far fewer events for their die hard fans like that, though in my case, I should point out that I did attend both the U2 show at Irving Plaza in 2000 and the 2005 Verigo Tour warmup at the LA Sports Arena and those were both awesome events too.

To the self entitled "superfan" who is all pissed because he didn't get the golden ticket to last nights show.. you can go pound sand. Where the hell do you get off? I couldn't give a flying fiddlers fart how many times you have seen them or how much money you spent. Do you even have a job? Or better yet do you have a life? Why does U2 attract so many low lifes and losers who feel that the band owes them something. Do us all a favor and sell your tickets because you will be one of those morons screaming that you didn't get your coveted rail spot. End scene..

People are complaining about not getting into the rehearsal? Yikes...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

That's it, I'm quitting being a U2 fan and will only go to Bruce shows from now on. Maybe if I make an Acrobat/Heartland/RHMT medley sign, he'll do a cover..

Go ahead protest. You're a douche.

4 hardcore fans from 3 different continents who've seen a total of 220 u2 shows across 20 countries and have probably given the band $50,000 directly to the band were not considered "friends" enough gain entry last night.

A dozen plus laminent carrying u2 employees(the ones that interacted with vertigo GA lines) dating back to ZOOTV who recognize 3 of those fans were horrified that u2's upper management let nobody in and gave us some free food from inside.

A 100+ u2 show South American fan(who's never even met the band) got a u2 experience he's never had before: Hearing a u2 show with an audience while outside the venue. He never complained a single but it absolutely broke my heart to see the sadness in his eyes and how he was just glad for everything u2 have done and he had the freedom to see a dozen of two shows a tour.

Guest list was 1/3rd full and the pair U2 employees had at least 200 extra wristbands in their white envelope.

This along people hired by u2 physically and legally threating me while standing in a public park(they had no permits for 90% of the area outside the venue) has the single worst fan experience I've had in my 30 years and 700 shows I've ever attended. Fans got into at least 3 past u2 dress rehearsals and I had no problem getting into the 2007 Police Dress rehearsal here and multiple Prince club gigs.

I'm strongly thinking of given the 2 Vancouver shows a pass. New songs sound great light show looks neat but everything I've now heard 5 times and the lack of rarities I crave.

Umm, guys.... Peter is the one who got everyone in this thread, and thousands more because of the sites re-sharing, most of the info you have you have about rehearsals. He didn't get paid. He shared with you to help you (us).

Can we all agree that if we could have gotten him in to the show, we would have? Because we're good people who like to reward good behavior?

And also, I'm sure if U2 offered to let him go in on the condition he didn't tell anyone what he saw, he would swear to that and keep his word.

Umm, guys.... Peter is the one who got everyone in this thread, and thousands more because of the sites re-sharing, most of the info you have you have about rehearsals. He didn't get paid. He shared with you to help you (us).

Can we all agree that if we could have gotten him in to the show, we would have? Because we're good people who like to reward good behavior?

Yeah, what's up with the vitriol, especially from obscure randoms.

I don't agree with the extent of U2FP's outrage, but I can see why he's disappointed, especially when it seems some of the crew had extra passes but weren't able to give them out. U2 definitely seem to keep their rehearsals more closed nowadays - there used to be stories of people being let into soundchecks or dress rehearsals but that's been exceedingly rare on recent tours.

Being physically/legally threatened by staff employed by u2 has caused me to skip shows.

Past tense? as in this has happened to you before? What is that you are doing that U2's staff feels the need to "threaten" you on more than one occasion?

Also, then, 12 other U2 employees gave you U2's food?

Huh. Sounds like you should definitely stay home.

This along people hired by u2 physically and legally threating me while standing in a public park(they had no permits for 90% of the area outside the venue) has the single worst fan experience I've had in my 30 years and 700 shows I've ever attended. Fans got into at least 3 past u2 dress rehearsals and I had no problem getting into the 2007 Police Dress rehearsal here and multiple Prince club gigs.

What the h#*@? Are you six years old? Grow the f#@% up! It was a closed rehearsal. You and the uberfans were not on the guest list. Get over it. The band owes you NOTHING.

And to expect after revealing all of the details of numerous rehearsals to the world that you would be given a wristband is absurdity. You, sir, are the least deserving of anyone.

I am embarrassed for anyone who considers themselves a fan of this band.

Doesn't give him the right to rant and piss and moan about it. I don't care how many shows or what he has done. He didn't get in, move on. Acting like a kid at Toys R Us is not cool. Go ahead protest and not go. Like so many self entitled fans he seems to be a real piece of work. I don't know who is but I can only imagine what the g.a will be like if things don't go his way. Yeah I get he is disappointed but going online and basically giving us his U2 resume is rather childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom