SPOILERS - Rehearsals at Nou Camp Part TRES - SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am absolutely delighted to see The Unforgettable Fire and Ultra Violet making a comeback, so far I am not feeling the rest of this rehearsal setlist. I Still Haven`t Found, Elevation, Vertigo, Pride and In a Little While kinda leave a bad taste in my mouth. The main problem is that it lacks some really hard rocking songs like The Fly or The Electric Co. on the last tour (those who are saying Elevation and Vertigo belong in this circle - thanks but no thanks). A little love for tracks like Mofo, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Exit, Dirty Day or dare I say - ACROBAT!!! - would not hurt at all.

If not, more realistic choices like The Fly, Until the End of the World or Gone would fit just fine.

Wow.. are they contemplating streets as an encore opener? When was the last time that happened?

Streets has very rarely opened encores. I can only think of a couple of occasions from the JT Tour.

ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, it was always late in the main set. For Vertigo's first seven gigs (eight counting the public rehearsal), it was the second song of the first encore before the Pride/Streets/One trio moved to its familiar spot at the end of the main set.

I honestly expect nothing to come of that video.

But I will be fucking delighted if Electrical Storm does make an appearance.

It might not pop up right away. They could also be waiting to break songs after they get in the groove. If I remember correctly, Original of the Species, Bad, The Ocean, and Until the End of the World didn't show up until after 5 or 6 shows. It may also pop up every now and then like Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses did.

There's always the possibly that some of these songs will be replaced for the second leg as well.

For parts of the Vertigo tour, they opened the encore with Zoo Station/The Fly (Zoo TV opener)... now it appears they're rehearsing Streets to open the encore (a la JT tour opener)...

Would it be cool to have a Pop Muzik/Mofo encore at some point on this tour? Or should that be left in the past? Thoughts?

Maybe they should at least do it in Vegas - just to make up for 1997 (not that I think they need to or anything).

It might not pop up right away. They could also be waiting to break songs after they get in the groove. If I remember correctly, Original of the Species, Bad, The Ocean, and Until the End of the World didn't show up until after 5 or 6 shows. It may also pop up every now and then like Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses did.

There's always the possibly that some of these songs will be replaced for the second leg as well.

You're quite right. The Ocean didn't show up until seven shows in; OOTS, Bad, UTEOTW, and WGRYWH were even later. We had, I think, heard reports of The Ocean being soundchecked before the tour began, and OOTS and UTEOTW were both not terribly surprising as they'd been done live before the tour.

My innate skepticism of anything from U2.com and the sheer fact that I'd fucking love to hear Electrical Storm live make me ... rather cautious, though.

For parts of the Vertigo tour, they opened the encore with Zoo Station/The Fly (Zoo TV opener)... now it appears they're rehearsing Streets to open the encore (a la JT tour opener)...

Would it be cool to have a Pop Muzik/Mofo encore at some point on this tour? Or should that be left in the past? Thoughts?

I would die if they did that. :drool::drool::drool: Even if it alternated every show.

maybe they are working on 2-3 mellow songs....electrical storm, igwsha, maybe a 3rd, and will rotate those in a certain point of the setlist where they want to bring it down a bit. i wouldn't mind hearing ONE of those a night, but wouldn't want to hear all three and i'd give them props for mixing it up.

i didn't catch that until now...agreed.

Rocket Man snippet? Niiiiiice.

-dan

SO excited to hear how Drowning Man and IGWSHA come out in the show, if they do play them. Seconds would be amazing, I hope they consider it!

I do think people posting about how they are tired of hearing Elevation, Vertigo, Streets, Pride, One, etc (just pick a major hit) are just so unrealistic. Do you not realize that 90% of the people coming to these shows are not diehards like us, but casual fans who only know the major hits? Have you not been to a show of a group you didn't follow closely - what did you want to hear, songs you knew, or random songs that maybe 10% of the audience knew?

U2 has to find a balance of playing mostly the hits, songs from NLOTH, and throwing in a few randoms for fans like us. Its not an easy balance, they have such a huge catalogue. But so far, I'm really liking their choices!!

They did try Pop Muzik/Discotheque in Toronto on 17 September 2005 ... sounded fucking cool to me. I'd love to see some sort of a Pop throwback like Vertigo's typical ZooTV throwback.

In my ideal world, that'd be a Mofo/LNOE/Gone encore, but if we're being realistic, I could handle something like Discotheque/IGWSHA/an older song like WOWY.

Maybe, though, to avoid looking like a perpetuation of a Vertigo gimmick, that sort of segment could be incorporated into the show elsewhere.

They did try Pop Muzik/Discotheque in Toronto on 17 September 2005 ... sounded fucking cool to me. I'd love to see some sort of a Pop throwback like Vertigo's typical ZooTV throwback.

In my ideal world, that'd be a Mofo/LNOE/Gone encore, but if we're being realistic, I could handle something like Discotheque/IGWSHA/an older song like WOWY.

Maybe, though, to avoid looking like a perpetuation of a Vertigo gimmick, that sort of segment could be incorporated into the show elsewhere.

Yeah, I think doing a 'throwback' set like they did for ZooTV during the Vertigo tour is okay in moderation. They kind of over-did it during Vertigo... but if I missed a Pop Muzik/Mofo revival by one night I would be real bummed.

A PopMart-themed encore would be pretty freaking awesome. Especially if they lit up the claw's "arches" to be yellow...

they did rehearse velvet dress a pretty good bit at soundchecks and to my knowledge wanted to bust out Discotheque/Velvet dress for an encore and I assume into WOWY for the string of 5 NY shows in October of 05. Didn't happen, suffice to say.

Have you not been to a show of a group you didn't follow closely - what did you want to hear, songs you knew, or random songs that maybe 10% of the audience knew?

I go to see a band play songs they're enthusiastic about and put in their best performance, not to see them trot out songs because they think they "should" or "have to" and play them lifelessly. If they're my favourite songs, all the better, but if they aren't - I'm more than happy with a good performance. As I posted yesterday, people who go with the express intention of hearing a particular song, be they a casual fan going to hear a radio hit or a fanatic with a list of favourites, have the wrong attitude and will be sorely disappointed sooner or later.

I'm not saying here that the set should lack hits or classics, or should be dominated by rarities, or anything like that, so I hope nobody interprets it that way. Just that if a band's enthusiastic about playing a song, be it a hit or a rarity, the audience is going to enjoy it; if the band's just doing it because they think they must and their hearts are not in it, it's going to be a letdown (e.g. Bono not wanting to play Pride on Popmart).

I'd prefer Pride --> I am a bit worried about this Crazy Tonight remix thing. I hope it's nothing and they're going to stick with the proper song. It was excellent on the promo tour and I'd love to hear it live.

Didn't Edge say they had to rework it to play it live and replaced the piano with guitar? Mayby (hopefully) that's why it is called a remix.

i just thought of this....

the people who analyze each episode of lost probably think we go a little overboard

-dan

they did rehearse velvet dress a pretty good bit at soundchecks and to my knowledge wanted to bust out Discotheque/Velvet dress for an encore and I assume into WOWY for the string of 5 NY shows in October of 05. Didn't happen, suffice to say.

Didn't help that Edge didn't like the Vertigo re-invention of Discotheque. (Personally, I think he was mad.)

Didn't Edge say they had to rework it to play it live and replaced the piano with guitar? Mayby (hopefully) that's why it is called a remix.

That was the promo tour version. It wasn't a remix.

Didn't help that Edge didn't like the Vertigo re-invention of Discotheque. (Personally, I think he was mad.)

The impression I got from Edge was that it wasn't so much the re-invention he didn't like, but more that he didn't like how it fit in with the rest of the set.

I do hope they play that promo tour version and they're not resorting to that dance remix that's out somewhere !
Dance remix? I'm having trouble imagining a dance version of CT. Was it an official remix, or some fan thing?

Dance remix? I'm having trouble imagining a dance mix version of CT. Was it an official remix, or some fan thing?

A couple of remixes by Dirty South will be b-sides on the forthcoming Crazy Tonight single.

hey one of the rare times i agree with you :wink:

i was lucky to be in Toronto for the Pop Muzik/Discotheque... was too cool. easily the best version of discotheque for the 3 tour versions we have of it. shame it wasn't played more. the lighting effects were really cool too for the popmart intro- on the four screens it had a radio dial, finally settling on a station and pop muzik, with the dial turning into the 4 pop faces from the album cover and then the pop symbols.

too cool.

:|
Yeah, I think doing a 'throwback' set like they did for ZooTV during the Vertigo tour is okay in moderation. They kind of over-did it during Vertigo... but if I missed a Pop Muzik/Mofo revival by one night I would be real bummed.

I loved the AB/ZOO Station mini-set!
AB being my favorite U2 album (NLOTH is a very close second or equal), and in the top 5 of of my fav all-time R&R albums :drool: :D

I only got to see ZOO-TV once 3/4's way back and ?8 rows from the top? :yikes: :lol:

I got to hear 2 of my fav AB songs again and closer up those times was :hyper::love::drool::hyper:

OH I'd love to hear some stuff from POP!
Last Night on Earth
dirty day :lol:

& one other I can't think of :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom