***SPOILERS*** U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour - Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope you're all looking forward to the re-launch of the website before the European leg as U2farts.com

there's actually no argument here.

if you don't want people punching back at you, don't post asshole comments. that's what you did, and that's what you got. it's pretty simple.

I don't care if you punch at me, tissue paper would cause more damage than your punches. You said ASOH wasn't good live and I said that continues your pattern of holding bad opinions. Apparently that means I'm a chronicler of U2's farts. Bit of a fizzer, that.

I hope you're all looking forward to the re-launch of the website before the European leg as U2farts.com

I don't care if you punch at me, tissue paper would cause more damage than your punches. You said ASOH wasn't good live and I said that continues your pattern of holding bad opinions. Apparently that means I'm a chronicler of U2's farts. Bit of a fizzer, that.

ASOH on JT30: it was not good. This is an opinion the crowds, and the band, agreed with. Sorry you dont like it.

Calling an opinion 'bad': this is so dumb it's hard to believe you keep saying it.

Oh wait, not hard to believe.

ASOH on JT30: it was not good. This is an opinion the crowds, and the band, agreed with. Sorry you dont like it.

Calling an opinion 'bad': this is so dumb it's hard to believe you keep saying it.

Lots of people liked it and the band liked it enough to play it on two of the three legs, so try harder.

And your opinion does suck. Sorry mate, I don't make the rules.

Lots of people liked it and the band liked it enough to play it on two of the three legs, so try harder.

And your opinion does suck. Sorry mate, I don't make the rules.

You're confused. An opinion you don't agree with is not one that sucks.

Oh dear, you are almost beyond helpless.

But i think I love you anyway, adorable little Kiwi Snippet Boy.

Go All Blacks!

If I don't agree with it, then it follows that there's a fair chance I will also suggest it sucks.

But it's been fun taking the piss out of you. Now let us all sit down and enjoy the dominance of New Zealand rugby.

(We won't talk about what happened to Otago tonight.)

Lolz

Your stating that an opinion can't be bad is also an opinion, which you say is dumb, meaning you're doing the same thing that you say is dumb.

Which is dumb, IMHO.

you're even more confused than Snippet Boy.

Dude, let it go. You have an opinion. In my opinion, having seen TJT tour, it's a bad opinion. I respect that it's your opinion and you have every right to it. But it's a bad opinion, to me. That's how this works.

If I don't agree with it, then it follows that there's a fair chance I will also suggest it sucks.

But it's been fun taking the piss out of you. Now let us all sit down and enjoy the dominance of New Zealand rugby.

(We won't talk about what happened to Otago tonight.)

I'd love to watch some All Blacks. Loved them at the HK Sevens.

It's been great chatting with you as well, as it's highlighted our basic differences: when I don't agree with an opinion, I will say so and counter it. You simply say it sucks. Par for the course from what I have seen around here.

Now let's talk about facts: based on data from a world famous fan site, whose author [sometimes] seems to be a world class ass but does have his numbers lined up:
- ASOH was played exactly 8 times on the JT30 tour, out of 131 shows. 8 times.
- That is only one more than U2's other setlist staple: Happy Birthday. Yay, Happy Birthday.
- The only standard U2 songs played fewer times were MLK, Spanish Eyes and Sweetest Thing.
- They abandoned ASOH after 4 attempts in May 2017, gave it another go on June 4, then abandoned it until the Europe leg, when they played it exactly 3 times before tossing it altogether before Leg 3 started.

But hey, it sounded great to a few people. That's fantastic.

Dude, let it go. You have an opinion. In my opinion, having seen TJT tour, it's a bad opinion. I respect that it's your opinion and you have every right to it. But it's a bad opinion, to me. That's how this works.

and I get to counter it if I disagree.

that's how this works. move on if you don't like it.

i thought the version of ASOH they played on JT30 was pretty meh when it did appear but that doesn't mean i wasn't super disappointed that they didn't play it at the show i attended.

I'd love to watch some All Blacks. Loved them at the HK Sevens.

It's been great chatting with you as well, as it's highlighted our basic differences: when I don't agree with an opinion, I will say so and counter it. You simply say it sucks. Par for the course from what I have seen around here.

Now let's talk about facts: based on data from a world famous fan site, whose author [sometimes] seems to be a world class ass but does have his numbers lined up:
- That is only one more than U2's other setlist staple: Happy Birthday. Yay, Happy Birthday.
- The only standard U2 songs played fewer times were MLK, Spanish Eyes and Sweetest Thing.
- They abandoned ASOH after 4 attempts in May 2017, gave it another go on June 4, then abandoned it until the Europe leg, when they played it exactly 3 times before tossing it altogether before Leg 3 started.

But hey, it sounded great to a few people. That's fantastic.
I agree. It's all opinion of course but it's fair to say that TJT2018 version just wasn't very good, it seemed to kill the momentum of the pre - TJT set and the band dropped it. I just watched the Paris version to refresh myself, and once the song kicked it it was alright, but the slow synthy electro start sort of kills it for me.

I would take the JT30 ASOH any day because I really like the song. With that said, none of the videos I saw online of that song seemed to connect with fans (to my surprise). I would think this song is right in the JT nostalgia wheelhouse and would argue that this song, if any from that era, was perfect for this tour. Why didn’t it connect? I can’t say for sure but IMO there was a lack of energy from the band when playing that song + the arrangement seemed to be slowed down. I would have expected “Gloria” type energy but it seemed to fall flat.

I guess this song would be my “Acrobat” where it would really be exciting to hear it live.

Now, if they could figure out a way to play ASOH true to the album version, I’d be in heaven. I LOOOOOVE that version. The WAIA version is of course better suited for live performance, but they really lost something IMO that was present in that album version.

They didn’t seem to play ASOH with much confidence in 2017, and it was too slow. Play it exactly like on WAIA and they’d have had a winner.

Wrong. I was present for it at LA1 and it was incredible. The crowd in the floor was all singing along. I will never forget finally hearing it live.

Same here. It wasn't perfect but considerably better than I expected it to be. And certainly not something poor enough to be dropped.

Putting Bad in its place that early in the show was a far worse move than the ASOH performance.

Wrong. I was present for it at LA1 and it was incredible. The crowd in the floor was all singing along. I will never forget finally hearing it live.

Yes, this. We were on the floor too near the tree stage and I was thrilled when they played it. And I sang along, probably very off key :lol:

I guess they played those extra 80 shows in Oceania without telling anyone

Yes, this. We were on the floor too near the tree stage and I was thrilled when they played it. And I sang along, probably very off key [emoji38]
I wish I could remember it better, I was just so wrapped up in the moment that I couldn't focus on much else other than that they were actually playing it.

Also Willie made it clear that they shortened the main set to get to Streets quicker, that the initial set had too much without the screen on.

Of course there were other solutions to that than just dropping one song, but of course they didn't take those routes. And out of SBS, NYD, ASOH, Bad, and Pride, it's not a shock which one of those was made to take a walk and live off the fumes of rotation.

Right there with you.

No, really, I was about 20 feet in front of you singing as loudly as I could.

Can't believe it only received a handful of performances after that. :(

I thought asoh was a highlight of opening night for me, I loved it and was thrilled to finally see it live. It seemed to be really well received at both nights

Back
Top Bottom