SPOILER - Rehearsals at Nou Camp Part II - SPOILER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they'll come up with a highly atmospheric Eno-esque arrangement of Vertigo to follow TUF with.

Might be the one way to make the song good!

Actually, it's interesting they've shifted Vertigo to this point, since it did look like they were considering it to open the encore.

I think the previously rehearsed order of UF --> COBL seemed good.
Relistening to the end of UF...yeah, that would work about a million times better. I'm imagining them playing an extended version of UF's string outro over the PA, which, after a few seconds, morphs into the strings playing the melody to COBL. Then, the strings fade out, Edge fades in, and we're off.

:drool::drool::drool:
EDIT: Eno-esque version of Vertigo? Man, I'd love to see the looks on the faces of the casual fans if they did that.
"Wait a minute...is this the iPod commercial song? It sounds all...weird."

Relistening to the end of UF...yeah, that would work about a million times better. I'm imagining them playing an extended version of UF's string outro over the PA, which, after a few seconds, morphs into the strings playing the melody to COBL. Then, the strings fade out, Edge fades in, and we're off.

That is exactly what I had been envisaging. It's just about :combust:-worthy.

That is exactly what I had been envisaging. It's just about :combust:-worthy.
Yeah, if they're going to do a segue from UF to a HUTDAB track, they might as well do it right.
On another note: does anyone know what time the next U2.com "clip of the day" goes up? (Yes, I AM planning on counting down to the next stage of a countdown. I'm not addicted. I can quit whenever I want.
...Oh, who am I kidding? Bring on the 7 Days Left clip! :hyper:)

Yeah, if they're going to do a segue from UF to a HUTDAB track, they might as well do it right.
On another note: does anyone know what time the next U2.com "clip of the day" goes up? (Yes, I AM planning on counting down to the next stage of a countdown. I'm not addicted. I can quit whenever I want.

It's still the 22nd here!

the uf-> cobl, they have done that type of transition so many times, aiwiy to streets, aiwiy -> cobl, bad-streets, please to streets, and running to streets. it appears they are already are going to do mlk-> streets which would be similar. i see how it seems to make sense, mostly because its been done a lot already by u2. maybe they are actually trying to create a totally different feel. i don't think uf-vertigo is a great idea, but i think it could work and would be something different, instead of trying to make cobl into a streets type moment (which is never going to happen).

i think if they weren't already planning the mlk-> streets the uf->cobl would make more sense.

My only problem with MLK->Streets is that MLK just feels like a little intro to Streets, unlike Please or RTSS or Bad or AIWIY, which are their own "event", leading to a massive bridge of epicness between the two songs.

My only problem with MLK->Streets is that MLK just feels like a little intro to Streets, unlike Please or RTSS or Bad or AIWIY, which are their own "event", leading to a massive bridge of epicness between the two songs.

Yeah. And do we really need Pride before Streets again? That already hasn't worked before.

UF->COBL would probably be a good segue, but I was also thinking that, if they were to play Kite, UF->Kite would be great too, what with the organ at the end of UF and the organ intro to Kite.

Maybe they'll come up with a highly atmospheric Eno-esque arrangement of Vertigo to follow TUF with.

Or maybe they'll make TUF really rocky.

So far UF sounded so PERFECT (same as UV), very well rehearsed versions, classical arrangements (no dramatic changes here).

Also: Can redbook or anyone else "in the know" confirm what the "Space Chat" is about? I assume it's one of Bono's mid-show speeches, but, beyond that, I've got nothing.

not sure .... maybe it was the Desmond Tutu speech, maybe it was just random note on the setlist. You can ask gvox, the setlist master (tm), he sure knows :D

they seem to be unsure about some things (or maybe trying new things) as they are playing with some combinations (like UF with others, like different intros and openers), so I wouldnt take anything for sure judging from rehearsals.

I still have the theory we are going to see more changes than previous tours as they are playing more than once in most of the european cities.

not sure if this has been posted...

edit: I posted the 15min interview with Bono and Edge today for spanish TV.
Was it posted before?

Last edited:
I just hope they keep in mind that not everyone going to this tour has been to a previous tour (much less every tour for the last two decades or more), so its not as important to keep from "boring" someone who's already seen them perform certain songs on every tour as it is to satisfy those of us for whom this has been a lifelong dream that we are finally able to make happen this tour. Ive been wanting to see them in person for over 25 years, so Im going to be very disappointed indeed if they dont do NYD, SBS, Bullet, or The Fly, and if they skip all four of them, Im gonna be pissed. That would be my luck, this would be the first time they decide to skip most of my favorite U2 songs altogether. :angry:

On the other hand, I wish they had dropped Streets from the setlist long ago, even though I love the JT studio version, Ive never liked how that song sounds live (at least in the video versions that Ive been confined to experiencing them thru up to this point). Pride is another one that I dont much care for in its live version (though Im happy to see them rehearsing the song Unforgettable Fire and would love to see them do Wire!!)

Im all for hearing several of the NLOTH songs played, as I really like the new album alot (with the exception of Boots), and I think Unknown Caller in its concert version might end up sounding shatteringly epic (I wish they would do Fez too). But I do hope that they dont shortchange first-timers like myself on too many classic songs from the 80s like the essential War standards.

We shall see in a little over a week ... and tomorrow, the 23rd, begins the 4-month countdown to my show, 10/23 - Vegas baby! :D

I just hope they keep in mind that not everyone going to this tour has been to a previous tour (much less every tour for the last two decades or more), so its not as important to keep from "boring" someone who's already seen them perform certain songs on every tour as it is to satisfy those of us for whom this has been a lifelong dream that we are finally able to make happen this tour. Ive been wanting to see them in person for over 25 years, so Im going to be very disappointed indeed if they dont do NYD, SBS, Bullet, or The Fly, and if they skip all four of them, Im gonna be pissed. That would be my luck, this would be the first time they decide to skip most of my favorite U2 songs altogether. :angry:

On the other hand, I wish they had dropped Streets from the setlist long ago, even though I love the JT studio version, Ive never liked how that song sounds live (at least in the video versions that Ive been confined to experiencing them thru up to this point). Pride is another one that I dont much care for in its live version (though Im happy to see them rehearsing the song Unforgettable Fire and would love to see them do Wire!!)

Im all for hearing several of the NLOTH songs played, as I really like the new album alot (with the exception of Boots), and I think Unknown Caller in its concert version might end up sounding shatteringly epic (I wish they would do Fez too). But I do hope that they dont shortchange first-timers like myself on too many classic songs from the 80s like the essential War standards.

We shall see in a little over a week ... and tomorrow, the 23rd, begins the 4-month countdown to my show, 10/23 - Vegas baby! :D

I disagree with pretty much everything you just said.

I've never seen U2 live. I might get to see them next year if they make some time in their schedule to visit the fifth largest area in the United States. (If that's not too much trouble for them. The Norman's of the world need their shows, after all.)

If they play Bullet, I'm going to be disappointed. That song just sucks lately. All the punch of it is taken out. I'd only want to hear it if they played it like they did 17 years ago. Same with Sunday Bloody Sunday, which is so slow now.

Meanwhile, Streets is transcendent live, every time. I cannot believe you prefer Bullet or SBS live to that. Did you see the video of Bullet and SBS on Vertigo? They were slow and boring. Streets blew the fucking roof off.

+1.
(except I've seen them live every tour since UF)

Wtf?

I don't get the point you say you are uberfan, you have been waiting for long, never saw the band live but don't want to see Streets on the set? you are definitely not what i'd say "standard U2 fan"

approx 5am aus EST (it is 3:12 pm now, so just under 14 hours)

I'll gladly relieve the annoyance of going to see the concert for any fan who ends up not enjoying the songs they are playing.

On the other hand, I wish they had dropped Streets from the setlist long ago, even though I love the JT studio version, Ive never liked how that song sounds live (at least in the video versions that Ive been confined to experiencing them thru up to this point).

Wow... that has to be the first time anyone has said that (at least on this forum).

I think you will laugh at yourself for thinking this when you finally witness Streets live. It will not disappoint... and yes, they will be playing it - you can be assured of that.

Just thinking about EBTTRT (Perfecto Remix)... Is it just me, or could they be interested in it for the repeating "You take me higher" female vocal?

For some reason, I can see Bono (or even the whole band) being lifted up by some kind of wire system, as a sort of quick transition, then lowered down somewhere else maybe... as the stage rotates?

I dunno, I realize this isn't Cirque du Soleil, but with the Claw and a pre-recorded track playing, it almost seems like it could be a possibility? :hmm:

Plus, I do recall a shiny, 40-foot lemon of some sort serving as a means of transition while a pre-recorded disco/dance remix played through the loud speakers... :wink:

But I know, it sounds weird even to me... :lol:

I just hope they keep in mind that not everyone going to this tour has been to a previous tour (much less every tour for the last two decades or more), so its not as important to keep from "boring" someone who's already seen them perform certain songs on every tour as it is to satisfy those of us for whom this has been a lifelong dream that we are finally able to make happen this tour. Ive been wanting to see them in person for over 25 years, so Im going to be very disappointed indeed if they dont do NYD, SBS, Bullet, or The Fly, and if they skip all four of them, Im gonna be pissed.Im all for hearing several of the NLOTH songs played, as I really like the new album alot (with the exception of Boots), and I think Unknown Caller in its concert version might end up sounding shatteringly epic (I wish they would do Fez too). But I do hope that they dont shortchange first-timers like myself on too many classic songs from the 80s like the essential War standards.:D

Couldn't disagree more:doh:. It is your first gig, so three points:

1. Be happy, you see the greatest rock band on earth live. If you really have wanted to see them so desperately for 25 years (but have not seen them at least once – why?), it does not really matter what they play. But don't talk about being "pissed", when they play "x" and don't play "y". That does not make sense to me at all, especially for a first timer.

2. Be happy, you hear new songs from a new album. If you really have worshipped the band for 25 years, you should know, that this is an important part of each new U2 tour, if not the reason, they still exist as a band. Pre-judging, that "x" might sound like this, "y" might sound like that, does not make sense to me at all, especially for a first timer.

3. Be happy, you get (as far as we can see now), a great mix of songs everybody knows aka 'Greatest Hits' (Vertigo, COBL, WO, BD, One, AOH, Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Pride) and songs, that nearly every long-time U2-fan (what you at least declare to be ...) would kind of sell his mother for – to hear live once in a lifetime (UF, DM, UV). In a lesser degree this is also valid for MLK & IALW as also not that often played tunes. So this would be a near to perfect perfect setlist. If you don't feel it, it makes no sense to me, especially for a first timer – sorry.

But, hey, this is a free world (at least in parts of it): If you don't like, simply just don't go.
Me, I am so excited about the band taking this step of new material, 'Greatest Hits' and the dust-off of much too long ignored gems like TUF, UV, DM – I keep my fingers crossed, it stays this way ...

On the other hand, I wish they had dropped Streets from the setlist long ago, even though I love the JT studio version, Ive never liked how that song sounds live (at least in the video versions that Ive been confined to experiencing them thru up to this point).

Let me get this straight... See it live first. jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom