SPOILER - Rehearsals at Nou Camp Part II - SPOILER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm asking because RTSS to WTSHNN, even if you hadn't heard the new RTSS, still doesn't sound like a bad idea. UF to Vertigo sounds like an infinitely stupid idea.

It was a joke :)

What I mean with that joke was that we shouldnt count out that transition, the ideas that seems bad might sometimes be a genius one :)

saturday's night show was intended to be a full dress rehearsal

all the visuals and special effect (stage rotation etc) was played as a normal show and there were almost no breaks if i can remember well
Wait, stage rotation? What did I miss?

I'm asking because RTSS to WTSHNN, even if you hadn't heard the new RTSS, still doesn't sound like a bad idea. UF to Vertigo sounds like an infinitely stupid idea.

Maybe that's why they're rehearsing it so much?

At some point during the concert, there will be two songs that won't jive together as well as others.

i was told it is part of some visual stuff (similar to Lemon remix in 97) used to make some transitions... or at least that's what they tried. It was played in another rehearsal too if i am not wrong.

Yeah, that's what I thought from the start, too...the only way using the remix makes sense is if it's for some sort of transition.

It was a joke :)

What I mean with that joke was that we shouldnt count out that transition, the ideas that seems bad might sometimes be a genius one :)

No, I understand that you were trying to joke, but you used a good idea as a comparison. RTSS > WTSHNN is a good idea.

I can't think of a bad idea on paper that worked live. I can't. And it's not just a bad idea, UF > Vertigo. It's an AWFUL idea. There's so many great ways to use that atmospheric end to UF. Putting it up with Vertigo could be argued as literally the worst transition you could use after UF.

Yeah, that's what I thought from the start, too...the only way using the remix makes sense is if it's for some sort of transition.
Hmm...if I had to guess, I'd say that they'd play the remix while the screen expands. But I could be wrong.

to me the most surprisingthing from these rehearsals would be if they finally decide to leave apart some "untouchable" songs like NYD, Bullet, I will follow, M.Ways...

i'm catching up on the last few pages, but nirvana was thinking the same thing i was...maybe the ebttrt remix will use the screen in some way.

i was told it is part of some visual stuff (similar to Lemon remix in 97) used to make some transitions... or at least that's what they tried. It was played in another rehearsal too if i am not wrong.

in 92/93, didn't they end bad with a snippets of other songs ('help' comes to mind) and then launched into btbs.

If we want a decent ZooTV comparison, Bad --> Bullet is an example of something that on paper doesn't sound like too brilliant an idea.

RTSS --> Streets is quite obviously good, on paper and in reality.

it's been FOREVER since i've listened to tuf, i'm giving it more play on my ipod now. i am not against the tuf > vertigo transition. they will probably end it on the downbeat and cut out the last 18 seconds or so of light music...while the crowd is cheering, they give it a few seconds and then go into vertigo.

-dan

in 92/93, didn't they end bad with a snippets of other songs ('help' comes to mind) and then launched into btbs.

Yes, but Help wasn't used that way. The snippet was typically AIWIY.

Still looks bad on paper if you ask me, but sounded great when they did it.

Care to hook your friends up to anyone here who wants to be spoiled (and won't be in Spain)? :wink:

:raiseshandtovolunteer: :D

one of them is part of the crew... goes without saying i am not suposed to tell too much, and i want to be nice with him as i still expect him to let me get into the "official" rehearsal on the 29th :D

to me the most surprisingthing from these rehearsals would be if they finally decide to leave apart some "untouchable" songs like NYD, Bullet, I will follow, M.Ways...
Yeah, it definitely seems like this tour is focusing on some of the deeper cuts. It's not Lovetown 2 or anything, but it is nice to see stuff like Electrical Storm being considered.

I'm not too shocked about the absences of NYD, IWF, and MW. NYD missed half of Vertigo. IWF and MW have had some extended absences too. But Bullet is a very welcome and slightly surprising omission - it has only missed six concerts since its debut in April 1987 (five in 1989 and one in 2001). About time the band dropped it, really. I don't know how they could possibly keep re-inventing it to keep it fresh.

Same here, hard to believe a show without SBS as well. For those multiple city nights, they'll find their way in and hopefully some POP as well, but it's such a huge back catalogue and this is not a U218 or Greatest Hits tour.

Vertigo:

Rehearsal:

- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
- Stuck In A Moment
- Love And Peace Or Else
- Out Of Control
- City Of Blinding Lights
- All Because Of You
- Yahweh
- Bad
- Beautiful Day
- Pride (In The Name Of Love)
- Where The Streets Have No Name
- Walk On
- Elevation
- One
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- Vertigo
- Miracle Drug
- Bullet The Blue Sky
- With Or Without You
- Running To Stand Still

First Show:

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo / Stories For Boys (snippet)
3. The Cry
4. The Electric Co. / Send In The Clowns (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
5. An Cat Dubh
6. Into The Heart
7. Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
8. New Year's Day
9. Miracle Drug
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / No Regrets (snippet)
11. Love And Peace Or Else
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
14. Running To Stand Still
15. Zoo Station
16. The Fly
17. Elevation

encore(s):
18. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
19. Where The Streets Have No Name
20. One
21. All Because Of You
22. Yahweh
23. 40

So, yeah, we won't really know that much till the rehearsals closer to the first show.

Same here, hard to believe a show without SBS as well. For those multiple city nights, they'll find their way in and hopefully some POP as well, but it's such a huge back catalogue and this is not a U218 or Greatest Hits tour.
On the subject of U218, who else hopes that WITS gets an honest-to-God place in the setlist?

I'm not too shocked about the absences of NYD, IWF, and MW. NYD missed half of Vertigo.

I didn't remember NYD missed half of Vertigo, but to me it is one of the U2 tunes with unanimous acclaim: you will find Pride lovers and haters, same for SBS, Bullet, almost any U2 song... but you will find very very few NYD haters.

I didn't remember NYD missed half of Vertigo, but to me it is one of the U2 tunes with unanimous acclaim: you will find Pride lovers and haters, same for SBS, Bullet, almost any U2 song... but you will find very very few NYD haters.

Streets, NYD, and UTEOTW are three songs that really no one minds in a set.

Yeah, it was done at just 65 out of 132 gigs; it missed all 50 shows on the third leg. I've been surprised how many people I've seen call for NYD to be cut. Personally, I think it's one of the few big classics that still sounds excellent live; songs like Pride and WOWY sound really bad nowadays, but NYD has never stopped being great.

In any case, I reckon they'll do NYD in Chorzow even if it's not regularly in the set.

NYD is a timeless hit... they could play it as they always did and everyone would be happy :sad:

Had to leave before the rehearsals started...Were there any highlights?
Not really. They seemed to focus mainly on getting transitions and visuals down today.
Oh, and some guy lied and said Gone and MOFO were on the setlist.

Vertigo:

Rehearsal:

- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
- Stuck In A Moment
- Love And Peace Or Else
- Out Of Control
- City Of Blinding Lights
- All Because Of You
- Yahweh
- Bad
- Beautiful Day
- Pride (In The Name Of Love)
- Where The Streets Have No Name
- Walk On
- Elevation
- One
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- Vertigo
- Miracle Drug
- Bullet The Blue Sky
- With Or Without You
- Running To Stand Still

First Show:

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo / Stories For Boys (snippet)
3. The Cry
4. The Electric Co. / Send In The Clowns (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
5. An Cat Dubh
6. Into The Heart
7. Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
8. New Year's Day
9. Miracle Drug
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / No Regrets (snippet)
11. Love And Peace Or Else
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
14. Running To Stand Still
15. Zoo Station
16. The Fly
17. Elevation

encore(s):
18. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
19. Where The Streets Have No Name
20. One
21. All Because Of You
22. Yahweh
23. 40

So, yeah, we won't really know that much till the rehearsals closer to the first show.

Interesting. Is that rehearsal list taken from just one rehearsal or is it an amalgamation of all Vertigo rehearsals? Just wondering because Electric Co and An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart aren't listed, and they must have been rehearsed at one time or another.

Okay, while I was typing that, I realized that indoor rehearsals aren't conducive to overhearing what's being rehearsed, so we may be getting a better indication of what's being played this tour than we did last tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom