Song For Someone - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ending of this song is very good sang by Bono. Finally he is not pushing so hard like most of time on the album, little bit of restraining suits him

I don't know if anybody mentioned this yet but finally another song can be added to U2's small list of straight-forward love songs.

Sent from my GT-I9060 using U2 Interference mobile app

This is a pretty dang good song. Gets better every listen for me. The lyrics, vocals, etc are top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

this song is a cracker - there hasn't been as much love for it on this forum and I've never known why, I find it beautiful

Sorry, but that's the only song I'm starting to skip.... doesn't do much to me. Better than Wild Honey, Peace on Earth, One step closer and Grace, but very far from the U2 I love. The rest of the album is still great and I love it a lot!

He should stop referring to any and all things U2 related as punk rock.

This :up:....... on the list of irritating things b-man says/does this might top my list.

This is becoming one of my favorites on the album very good song... I especially like Edges backing vocals and how his guitar seems to lift the song up

I interpret it as one person in the relationship making all the sacrifices to keep it alive, being the martyr almost..and Bono saying he's a long way from being as dedicated as he'd like/needs to be..

But that might be a bit cliche,
I suppose.

At any rate I find those two lines to be among his most poignant and sincere in a good long while, for some reason. Maybe the way he sings them but I really think it's a special lyric and delivery.

Sent from my ass crack

I interpret it as one person in the relationship making all the sacrifices to keep it alive, being the martyr almost..and Bono saying he's a long way from being as dedicated as he'd like/needs to be..

But that might be a bit cliche,
I suppose.

At any rate I find those two lines to be among his most poignant and sincere in a good long while, for some reason. Maybe the way he sings them but I really think it's a special lyric and delivery.

Sent from my ass crack

Spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm curious, how do you guys interpret the 'Hill of Calvary' line?

My thoughts about it. Bono, Edge and Larry found Christ but yet they didn't surrender their lives to Him. They know they have found grace and because they know they know that the rock and roll life and the Christ lead life are polar opposites even though they have been trying to reconcile the two. They have now understood that it's grace. But having understood that they long to love Christ while still wanting to rock and roll. It's the duality of spirit that Paul spoke of in Romans 7:15. I believe personally that much of the hate directed at U2 is because of lyrics like this.

I just hate that "yeah" part in the middle, including the solo, which does nothing for me. Other than that, I really dig the Celtic-ey vibe in this song. Cool drumming. Although how many times has Edge used THAT guitar part now?

If Boy was, as has been said, about virginity, this is about losing it. But trying to keep it at the same time. It's pretty, but lyrically about the weakest in the album because it lacks specificity. The sentiment is pure though.

Sent from

I think Your hill of Calvary is specific. As far as a track being weak solely because it isn't specific...Someone is specifically revealed in the lyrics.

It's pretty clear it's about Ali and likely the fire to sexual encounter and the possibilities that opened. I know what it's about, it's the feelings and emotions that come across as too vague for me.

Sent from

Bono does mix sex and God together quite a bit, so I'm sure that could work as well. I'm viewing it from the understanding that this is about their teenage years in Dublin, and one if the more remarkable things about Bono is that he's still married to his high school sweetheart. I assume this song is him revisiting that time -- but it's certainly open to many different interpretations.

Sent from

Really interesting thoughts everyone :)

I tend not to put a religious interpretation on U2 lyrics - being an agnostic, it detracts from my enjoyment listening to their songs - but as we all know one of Bono's greatest talents is writing lyrics that allow for different interpretations. In this instance though, I could only see Christian themes...

Not anymore, thanks guys :)

Right. Because Bono would not write about sex. It was some other kind of first time. :cute:

Looooving the acoustic deluxe version. It lacks the cheese that I feel in the album version and is just a beautiful song.

The acoustic version really is quite something. That little piano solo is adorable.

I've personally always really liked SFS though so it's a great to have both versions to listen to.

Also, It's one of those tracks that works really well when listening either early in the morning or late at night.

Bono does mix sex and God together quite a bit, so I'm sure that could work as well.

Sent from

"You let me into a conversation, a conversation only we could make" vs. "Take this tangle of a conversation, turn it into your own prayer."

I always thought that DYFL verse was cleverly sexy...

This song should be a bland and boring pop song. Its starts off as a snoozer and the lyrics are straight forward for a love song and yet I keep checking my play count on iTunes and its in my top 3 most played! I'm finding that this song is becoming one of my favorites.

The lyrics, as straight forward as they are, are relatable and the chorus with Edges backing vocals is beautiful and soars. This might be one of the most disliked songs from SOI here (perhaps only behind Volcano and The Miracle) but it's climbing my list fast.

I picture this song being played acoustically live and everyone in the arena/stadium singing together "and this is a Soooooooooooooong for Someone" as loud as they can.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom