Random Movie Talk Part Eleventy-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be aware the Brakhage stuff is entirely experimental and most of it silent. Probably the best set Criterion has ever put together though.

Everything else is beyond essential.

Peeping Tom showing up on the B&N site is a trick. It has to be.

I'm gonna have to roll with a light haul this time around; splurged a lot on the impromptu Amazon sale a couple of months back and another half-off on the main site. The Great Dictator, Down by Law and an undetermined Blu blind buy may be it for me. I'm hesitant to go for many other DVDs due to them popping up on Hulu Plus or the surprise Blu upgrade.

Also, here's a nice Archers tribute on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/26166480

harry-potter-tenpointshermione.png

I was going to post the trailer for the new Scorsese film, but it's so awful I can't bring myself to.

I'm sure the movie itself is going to be great, but this was painful to watch.

I was going to post the trailer for the new Scorsese film, but it's so awful I can't bring myself to.

I'm sure the movie itself is going to be great, but this was painful to watch.

Wow...

Allow me the pleasure:

‘Hugo’ trailer

I'm not so sure the movie itself is going to be great. Unless Scorsese and/or the studio went so far our of their way and managed to find a group that talented at cutting together laughably awful promos.

The problem is that they used Sasha Baron Cohen WAY too much in the trailer. Like the whole film is about some kid getting chased around a train station.

Some cool stuff near the end. And of course, we can't see the 3-D effect yet.

Doubt at your own risk.

It would be a remarkable failure if a crew that talented could fail to bring to life such an exciting book. I didn't hate the trailer, though it was horribly attempting to be as commercial as possible. The one thing I hated was the color palette, I really hope it doesn't look that close to the fucking Polar Express like it did in that trailer. As to the 3D, I just saw the trailer in 3D @ HP, you wouldn't know it was shot in 3D, HP's converted effect looked far stronger. Hopefully that's just the case with the trailer.

Also, speaking of Harry Potter, as someone who grew up with the novels coming out and has been going to these films for a decade, it's the end of an era, and making me feel incredibly old and wishing JK Rowling would go all George Lucas on us and sellout so we can visit these characters and their world again. :sad:

Yeah, I really don't like the photography from what I'm seeing. The colors look totally fake and not in an interesting way. Richardson did a great job on Shutter Island but he looks like the wrong fit here.

Sure wish Marty would work with Roger Deakins again.

Again, I'm hoping the colors have been amplified for the trailer. I imagined this adaptation to be desaturated nearly to the point of black and white except for certain highlighted elements going from the novel's illustrations and feel. I was also expecting something exciting from the camera work given the segway and other rigs we saw them using during shooting.

Also I am still baffled why they would think it was more marketable to drop any recognizable reference to their famous/acclaimed source material for a title that sounds like it could be a biopic about Hurley.

From what I understand, the book was popular but not some kind of huge phenomenon.

The people who know it will recognize it from the trailer, but it's not like there's brand recognition.

I still think "The Invention of Hugo" would have been the best title.

Well it's not Harry Potter, but as a middle school educator I'll tell you it is very well known and so drawing the association with the title should be a given. The entire title is a bit long, but I think their original compromise of 'Hugo Cabret' was probably for the best.

The color scheme felt like The Aviator-lite moreso than Shutter Island, also shot by Richardson.

Between the amount of Sacha Baron Cohen slapstick and same fucking song from The Owls of Ga'Hoole trailer, I'd chalk it down to a bad trailer/bad targeting than anything else.

I am looking forward to Tintin than Hugo (than what's the Victor Hugo biopic going to be called???) at this point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom