Quasi-Baseless Speculation About New Material, Continued 'Wide Awake in Europe' etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, of course it'll sell. But it won't sell to their standards. For some reason they're still in that mindset that they need 15-20million records sold per album.

Unlikely to happen anymore. People just buy songs, albums are about dead (which is sad).

I want them to release something ASAP, and say screw the media and/or critics.

but they'll tinker with these songs thinking they'll get #1's out of them. Which of course always seems so odd to me that they try to get a big smash hit, yet they'll have no marketing for any single besides the lead off.

I understand your point, and am afraid that they're not going to do that. They'll ofcourse keep trying and trying to sell stuff anyway, just to keep pleasing everyone when there's no need to.

I'm taking it to mean it was just posted too early; I can't imagine it was never meant to be posted at all. I would imagine that pre-orders will stand, and if not, they'll send an email to those who did and ask them to do it again when the listing is up again.

Coming late to the party, it seems to me that an EP might be the perfect way to do one thing:
* Release Mercy (or hit single of your choice) and have a huge hit single that gets massive interest before Christmas
* 'Get rid of' all of the rest of the new songs that won't fit anywhere else - ie Stingray, Glastonbury
* Promote the musical by putting a version of Boy Falls from the Sky out there
* Add in a couple of live tracks - eg Bad

And hey presto, you have a big release in a small package that coincides very nicely with the Australian leg of the tour and attendant hype. But which should also hit the Christmas market.

But you also buy enough time to finish the record, put out a second single (the lead single being the first track on the EP and thus the one that gets most airplay) and then release an album in time for the US leg of the tour.

Format:
It would make sense to think that the vinyl will be part of a twin release, with a download, since CD singles are dead anyway. That way you give collectors something physical to own, while not needing to print needless CDs.

Precedent
Apart from Coldplay's mid-tour revive the record EP, there seems to be a bit of a trend towards EPs released very close to albums, of material that won't appear on the subsequent record. See Sufjan Stevens and Antony and the Johnsons in the last two months.

Disclaimer
Having said that, it's all just guesswork until we hear anything from the collective horse's mouth.

*seconds* But it'd have to be with the full AIWIY snippet.

Definitely. I think my head nearly exploded when he started singing that. I seriously don't know how I remained conscious.

Perhaps AIWIY was snippeted to stop it being 'Electric co'ed'

lol.... Is Singing in the Rain in the public domain yet? Cause that will eliminate a lot of shows from consideration. :lol:

And yeah, for us hardcore fans, I think a Live EP is super lame.

We've heard all these live recordings before. Some of us have heard them probably more times than is acceptable in normal society. Give us the studio shit.

But for a casual fan, or a new fan, or some other demographic, it could be a nice little purchase I suppose.

I agree with this. I mean, how many casual fans still have a record player and how many of those will actually pick this up? The same questions apply for hardcore fans. Since we already have heard pretty good quality live versions of the new songs as well as the older material I would suspect must people will get a rip off the internet. I do not see who the buying audience is for this. Just throwing it out there but an unmentionable band gave away a free live EP-length CD at their shows. Why couldn't U2 do the same here?

If it's live versions of older songs, I might not be all that excited about it. I'm really hoping for live versions of the new songs, as if they decided not all of them will fit onto whatever album they're working on.

That's the best case. I think it comes down to who the band is targeting with this release. If it is a wider group that includes casual fans then I think we would be lucky to get more than one of the new tracks.

i'm a hardcore, but i'm still looking forward to this release even if it is all live tracks. hopefully the songs they choose are good and one's that haven't been played on past tours.

Oh you didn't see the leaked tracklisting that was posted?

Really? I heard the tracklisting would be as follows:
1) In A Little While (Live from Torino)
2) In A Little While (Live from Moscow)
3) In A Little While (Live from Rome)
4) In A Little While (Live from Paris)
Bonus track for iTunes preorders: In A Little While (Live from Coimbra)

I wrote to Amazon and asked why they took the preorder down. Apparently they got the name of the EP wrong. It's not "Wide Awake in Europe" it's "Sound Asleep in Europe".

Oh you didn't see the leaked tracklisting that was posted?

I wrote to Amazon and asked why they took the preorder down. Apparently they got the name of the EP wrong. It's not "Wide Awake in Europe" it's "Sound Asleep in Europe".

:lmao: You rock. :heart:

And they probably aren't allowed to use the original title due to US censorship. It was "taking a piss break in Europe"

I wouldn't be surprised if U2 is going to try to return to a new vinyl era where the only downloads you get are at 128 mbps or you buy the vinyl. Of course you can always download a rip of the vinyl illegally, as most will do. I don't see the point really, and don't plan to buy a turntable, as I listen mostly on headphones. Still good to hear that an album may come out in a few months.

I just received "Pre-order" information from my supplier. They want their pre-orders in by the end of the month (wholesale orders). No idea how limited it is, or even if it is.

The tracklisting I was given is as follows:

1. Mercy (Live From Brussels)
1. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Live U2360 Remix)
2. Moment Of Surrender (Live From Paris)

I just received "Pre-order" information from my supplier. They want their pre-orders in by the end of the month (wholesale orders). No idea how limited it is, or even if it is.

Lila, anything about format? Is it exclusively vinyl?

Thanks. :kiss:

:|
I'll probably still buy it.

At least there's no IALW. :wink:

And yeah, for us hardcore fans, I think a Live EP is super lame.

We've heard all these live recordings before. Some of us have heard them probably more times than is acceptable in normal society. Give us the studio shit.

But for a casual fan, or a new fan, or some other demographic, it could be a nice little purchase I suppose.

I'm sure as shit not gonna buy it.

If it's even truly being released.

If the track listing is:

1. Return of the Stingray Guitar
2. Glastonbury
3. Boy Falls From The Sky
4. North Star
5. Every Breaking Wave
6. Mercy

You're full of shit. If it's just Streets, In A Little While and a handful of NLOTH songs repackaged, then I guess I can see where you're coming from. Really, it all depends on the track listing. If the one above is true, then hey, Mercy is out there. Good stuff.

Wow, so only three tracks, one of which was already on the Artificial Horizon fan club disc.

BUT.

Yay, Mercy! I'll take whatever they feel like giving us at this point. :)

So, if the info is correct, basically Mercy is the new single!!!!!!!! :ohmy:

I pre-ordered and my order is still there.....

Hmm, do you reckon it actually is gonna be a 'single' kind of release? Considering there's hardly anything on it, and it's apparently only going to be released in the US, only in 'indie stores', and only on vinyl, it seems its not the next big u2 thing, or even the clever EP Adam mentioned as a possibilty a few months ago... it strikes me as just an oddly humble, small-scale release for die hard collectors (who somehow didn't get artificial horizon (crazy tonight) or any bootlegs (mercy, moment of surrender) ) .

...in other words, its not the next u2 material we're all waiting for.

I don't understand why they're doing this when their fans are desperate for new songs, and they apparently want to stay as big as possible? It's just odd... and annoying me :sad:

Hmm, do you reckon it actually is gonna be a 'single' kind of release? Considering there's hardly anything on it, and it's apparently only going to be released in the US, only in 'indie stores', and only on vinyl, it seems its not the next big u2 thing, or even the clever EP Adam mentioned as a possibilty a few months ago... it strikes me as just an oddly humble, small-scale release for die hard collectors (who somehow didn't get artificial horizon (crazy tonight) or any bootlegs (mercy, moment of surrender) ) .

...in other words, its not the next u2 material we're all waiting for.

I don't understand why they're doing this when their fans are desperate for new songs, and they apparently want to stay as big as possible? It's just odd... and annoying me :sad:

Mercy is on it's own on Side 1, which to me screams single. Yes, it's a collectible edition, but I really think it's a supplement to the actual single we will be seeing on iTunes and hearing on the radio.

You're full of shit.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, if the three song tracklist that we are currently discussing is actually what's being released, I can't help but think that it is weak as hell.

Crazy that an official release of Mercy, a song that I adored in its original form, would bring about a negative reaction from me. But its new arrangement, coupled with two live recordings of NLOTH songs, one that was already released in some format? I'll pass, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom