Quasi-Baseless Speculation About New Material, Continued 'Wide Awake in Europe' etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitchfork will probably give the EP an 8 just because it's on vinyl and no one is going to buy it.

"Following the egregious U2-but-not-U2isms of 2009's flop No Line On The Horizon, Wide Awake In Europe, as its title signifies, is a return of the U2-patented histrionic pulse of the Unforgettable Fire era."

Pitchfork will probably give the EP an 8 just because it's on vinyl and no one is going to buy it.

"Following the egregious U2-but-not-U2isms of 2009's flop No Line On The Horizon, Wide Awake In Europe, as its title signifies, is a return of the U2-patented histrionic pulse of the Unforgettable Fire era."

:up:

that vague compliment aside, the rest of the review will focus on why readers need detest U2.

see: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8330-how-to-dismantle-an-atomic-bomb/

(which, were it any other band, would be a 7 out of 10.. pretty high praise for pitchfork)

You should write for Pitchfork, you've got the style down. :lol:

we can break down the words all we want, it doesn't change the fact that McG is 0 for 2 so far.

None of those vague talks were as strong as, for example, the "late 2008" talk for NLOTH, or the "we want to be fast this time/late 2003" talk for Bomb.

And in U2's case, I don't intend to blame the manager for any delays lies.

Paul said the same thing around xmas last year, or just after the new year. That they have an album worth of material ready, and they'd like to have it out before the American leg starts up, so June.

I don't see us getting another album in spring. It won't SELL. It didn't work very well for NLOTH and there was a tour to back it (although it wasn't starting in America, so probably less hype there).

Until there is a offical release from u2.com that states "Album release date XXXX", i won't believe a single word that's being spewed around.

:hmm:

- a live EP with 6 tracks from leg 3. :up: depending on the tracklisting.

- It will only be available in the US :hmm: EP is the new Ipod ad/Blackberry ad. The chosen songs being Mercy, Glastonbury, EBW, North Star, Boy falls from the sky and perhaps Bad, as hinted by the title of the EP.

- only on Vinyl and only in indie stores. :shrug: Bring on the album.

Paul said the same thing around xmas last year, or just after the new year. That they have an album worth of material ready, and they'd like to have it out before the American leg starts up, so June.

I don't see us getting another album in spring. It won't SELL. It didn't work very well for NLOTH and there was a tour to back it (although it wasn't starting in America, so probably less hype there).

Until there is a offical release from u2.com that states "Album release date XXXX", i won't believe a single word that's being spewed around.

It's a U2 album. Ofcourse it will sell. Just not as good as an album would've sold a couple of years ago. The market's changed.

For me it's another disappointment in the new-material-discussion. A live EP on vinyl?? I'll buy it as a collector's item. For the music I hope downloads will hit the net soon after it's release. So I can enjoy the songs too digitally. I do not have a record player. Another thing is the tracklisting. I hope they do not release the live-versions of the new songs. I would like to hear the studioversions first. EBW accoustic is fine, but a fullband studioversion would be more great to hear!

And then the new rumours of SOA. They should better be clear and honest now, because I'm starting to get sick of all the false promises (although real promises were never made). I'm very sceptic about a new album released in spring. I was hoping for this fall. Are they afraid of releasing? :doh:

And yeah, for us hardcore fans, I think a Live EP is super lame.

We've heard all these live recordings before. Some of us have heard them probably more times than is acceptable in normal society. Give us the studio shit.

But for a casual fan, or a new fan, or some other demographic, it could be a nice little purchase I suppose.

I'm sure as shit not gonna buy it.

If it's even truly being released.

And yeah, for us hardcore fans, I think a Live EP is super lame.

We've heard all these live recordings before. Some of us have heard them probably more times than is acceptable in normal society.

But for a casual fan, or a new fan or some other demographic, it could be a nice little purchase I suppose.

I'm sure as shit not gonna buy it.

If it's even truly being released.

I'm a hardcore fan.. have been for 20+ years.
It'll be wonderful to hear these songs on my stereo.

are you really satisfied with the shit-quality versions that are found on youtube? I am not.. bring on something that's been mixed properly and that hasn't been recorded on a fucking cell phone. :up:

I'm a hardcore fan.. have been for 20+ years.
It'll be wonderful to hear these songs on my stereo.

are you really satisfied with the shit-quality versions that are found on youtube? I am not.. bring on something that's been mixed properly and that hasn't been recorded on a fucking cell phone. :up:

Maybe we need to establish the different levels of "hardcore fan."

I'm a hardcore U2 fan, but this doesn't excite me at all. I'm not spending money to hear live recordings that I've already heard. You are. That's perfectly fine.

I want the studio shit.

If they release the EP to promote an album that's released in 2011 I'm all for it but if they just do it to please us for a while then it would be lame.

Maybe we need to establish the different levels of "hardcore fan."

I want the studio shit.

don't worry, I'm not trying to turn this into a IMABIGGERFANTHANYOU thing.

obviously I want the studio recordings as well..

but I'll take the EP.. they're throwing us collectors a bone..

what will really be interesting is if new songs do appear on the EP, but then do not appear on the following album

Wide awake in Europe ? Looks like live songs, assuming Amazon staff know what they're talking about.

Which they don't, I guess. :wink:

It's already been removed from the US Amazon site. :doh:

(by that I mean yesterday you could pre-order it, today you can't.)

i'm a hardcore, but i'm still looking forward to this release even if it is all live tracks. hopefully the songs they choose are good and one's that haven't been played on past tours.

If it's live versions of older songs, I might not be all that excited about it. I'm really hoping for live versions of the new songs, as if they decided not all of them will fit onto whatever album they're working on.

I find it quite funny that with all the hyperbole around them searching for 'exciting and innovative' new ways of getting their music out there, that now the rumours are that this will be released on vinyl. :hmm:

Yeah, it's been posted, and discussed ad nauseum. Key words in that article from McGuiness = "I would guess early 2011."

So don't get out your party hats and noisemakers quite yet.

Yeah, it's been posted, and discussed ad nauseum. Key words in that article from McGuiness = "I would guess early 2011."

So don't get out your party hats and noisemakers quite yet.

Still, it's in line with what he said over the summer when he said "wildly optimistic" would be this fall 2010. It makes sense to release an album before kicking off the North American tour again, since it'll be two years removed from NLOTH's release.

I'm not saying it's going to happen with certainty but I think things are looking increasingly optimistic.

Still, it's in line with what he said over the summer when he said "wildly optimistic" would be this fall 2010. It makes sense to release an album before kicking off the North American tour again, since it'll be two years removed from NLOTH's release.

I'm not saying it's going to happen with certainty but I think things are looking increasingly optimistic.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm just trying to emphasize the "cautiously" part. :wink:

It's a U2 album. Ofcourse it will sell. Just not as good as an album would've sold a couple of years ago. The market's changed.

Sorry, of course it'll sell. But it won't sell to their standards. For some reason they're still in that mindset that they need 15-20million records sold per album.

Unlikely to happen anymore. People just buy songs, albums are about dead (which is sad).

I want them to release something ASAP, and say screw the media and/or critics.

but they'll tinker with these songs thinking they'll get #1's out of them. Which of course always seems so odd to me that they try to get a big smash hit, yet they'll have no marketing for any single besides the lead off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom