Quasi-Baseless Speculation About New Material, Continued 'Wide Awake in Europe' etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This all sounds cool, but WHY basically reuse an old title? Just seems retroactive to me, which is very unlike U2. That said, if they include one of the recent performances of Bad from either Brussels or Rome, then really who gives a hoot.

:panic:

:lol:

I wonder if they'll even ship to Canada...

amazon.ca has it available, and you can even pre-order it still, too!

The 5000 copies thing, cool as it is, has me worried though that there won't be enough to go around (which is likely going to be the case anyway), and I'm hoping that amazon/best buy/etc. know what they're doing in terms of their preorder system.

Well, if all else fails, I guess I can go on ebay on Nov 23rd and pay a trillion bucks for it.

I pre-ordered it from vintage vinyl along with that Doors mono lp. Thought about getting the reissue of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, but I passed. No pun intended.

A dubplate is a pressing used mainly by DJ's to play and promote the song, exclusive one off track, or pre-release song. Mainly its use is to promote and test how well a track will sound and go down in a rave, club, dance-hall or radio.

In the dancehall scene the disc also usually includes a dub version of the track ie sans vocals, so that the DJ can have the MC (or any other MC or singer) perform over it, live, if that artist or another should pass through that night. Carrying it further, the dubplate "special" is a version of a hit that contains modified lyrics usually in the chorus, that the MC records on behalf of a sound system/DJ to help promote them - like, instead of "there's no business like show business I know" the singer will sing "there's no sound like the Stone Love sound I know".

So yeah what would be cool is if U2 did some "special" version of one of their songs that proclaimed the almighty world-dominating awesomeness of, you know, U2!!

:wink:

Btw...take a look at the tracklisting for Wide Awake in Europe.

Then take a look at the tracklisting for Wide Awake in America.

And then come to the swift realization that the cover of WAIE has NO freakin business conjuring up that sacred WAIA imagery.

:lol:

(only half serious, I'll probably like it no matter what. But seriously, nothing tops WAIA or UABRS, sorry)

i don't care to own this vinyl. it doesn't offer anything new to the table. a missed opportunity in terms of marketing and testing new material to a "beta" group of 5000.

I mean, there was U2 Medium, Rare and Remastered which was an afterthought of former ideas put forth to their legion of fans. Why not have this sort of dubplate release to the same legion of uber-fans to test their new work. Having an untitled b-side would drive discussion and interest, yet if it falters, there's no title linking the track (product) back to them. It's different than a demo, as demos are targeted to music execs and typically have a working title (ie Mercy).

I know all this doesn't matter as the WAIE release is locked in stone and the tracks are known. I am just thinking of interesting ways of promotion in a time of mp3 downloads and illegal distribution.

indie vinyl release should be of the first single w/2 b-sides for the next record, not this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom