Oct 23rd - Las Vegas - General Discussion & Gathering Thread III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Where are you staying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also way the fuck up a steep and sandy road. My 2 wheel drive/ high-ish clearance CRV had a little trouble making it.

Yeah I've heard that too... And we will be hiring a car so I gotta make sure we dont get a piece of crap :)

The plan is to leave LA super early and cruise our way to Cerro Gordo area. Spend the night there. If I can't organise to stay at Cerro Gordo we were thinking maybe Lone Pine.

Then next day, slowly make our way to Vegas via the Joshua Tree and the Ghostown of Rhyolite.

Do you guys know much about these areas? I'm basing this off a map and some basic googling...

Those two rides are not roller coasters!

They are off a high structure!

I am a roller coaster fanatic. And of course, my hometown had a ride malfunction and the cable cut off a teen's feet!

I will pass on those two rides. Big Shot I'll do!

But the big shot is right there with those other 2 rides on the structure, isn't it?

Yeah I've heard that too... And we will be hiring a car so I gotta make sure we dont get a piece of crap :)

The plan is to leave LA super early and cruise our way to Cerro Gordo area. Spend the night there. If I can't organise to stay at Cerro Gordo we were thinking maybe Lone Pine.
Lone Pine is a nice little town with plenty of good motels and places to eat. A much better bet than Cerro Gordo. Lone Pine is an easy four hour drive from LA. You could easily make Death Valley before sunset from LA. Now that I think of it, there's the Panamint Valley. I've never stayed at the motel there, but it always looked interesting. The Panamint Valley is technically in the Park, but a distance form Stovepipe Wells. http://www.panamintvalley.com/ http://www.deathvalley.com/psr/

Then next day, slowly make our way to Vegas via the Joshua Tree and the Ghostown of Rhyolite.
Rhyolite is out of your way. It's nice, but out of your way. You'll have to go way up to Beatty and then down to Vegas. Distances are always longer than you might think in the desert. If you go all the way to Death Valley the first day, you could do Rhyolite on the way, but I wouldn't advise it on the day of the concert.

Do you guys know much about these areas? I'm basing this off a map and some basic googling...

I've spent every Thanksgiving break for the past 16 years or so in the Owens Valley and surrounding areas. :) x1000

Also, if you're looking for U2 locales in Death Valley don't forget to stop at Zabriske Point where they shot the cover of the Joshua Tree album.

I'm cross posting from Zootopia, I posted this early today:

I probably posted this before here but I called UNLV and asked about Sam Boyd: confirms that there is wifi available for our night for any of you who many have had trouble in TO or Chicago getting out messages or pictures.

Re: twitter feed: We have the ability to email photos to twitpic from your cell phones so anyone who would like the email address to put in your phone or from your computer. I would like to suggest that I open it up to all of you going if you like, that way on concert night if you have taken a photo you would like to share, you could share it to twitter @VegasU2360 for all those fans watching at home in real time. The more the merrier me thinks. If we all uploaded our photos to it then we will have a great set of memories to look at later....
If there is one person who wants to live feed the set list to twitter let me know I am stil looking for a volunteer...it is super easy...I set up your phone and then you send text messages to 21212. Let me know if that sounds good to you.

RE: Charity event at 9 Fine....A suggestion came from U2graffiti wall that a U2 karaoke contest would be a great way to raise money....
Great idea. Logistically speaking though we'd have to have the bar on bord. Tony what do you think? *could* we?

God I am excited! 34 more sleeps!
hj

I'm cross posting from Zootopia, I posted this early today:

I probably posted this before here but I called UNLV and asked about Sam Boyd: confirms that there is wifi available for our night for any of you who many have had trouble in TO or Chicago getting out messages or pictures.

Re: twitter feed: We have the ability to email photos to twitpic from your cell phones so anyone who would like the email address to put in your phone or from your computer. I would like to suggest that I open it up to all of you going if you like, that way on concert night if you have taken a photo you would like to share, you could share it to twitter @VegasU2360 for all those fans watching at home in real time. The more the merrier me thinks. If we all uploaded our photos to it then we will have a great set of memories to look at later....
If there is one person who wants to live feed the set list to twitter let me know I am stil looking for a volunteer...it is super easy...I set up your phone and then you send text messages to 21212. Let me know if that sounds good to you.

RE: Charity event at 9 Fine....A suggestion came from U2graffiti wall that a U2 karaoke contest would be a great way to raise money....
Great idea. Logistically speaking though we'd have to have the bar on bord. Tony what do you think? *could* we?

God I am excited! 34 more sleeps!
hj

KARAOKE!!!!!! *raises hand and jumps up and down*

Hey guys I found out Our Lady Peace is playing the night before the concert. Anyone else going? Anyone have any info on how to get tickets? My brother and I have both looked online and haven't been able to find anywhere to purchase tickets.

Also, what time are those in GA planning on arriving? I'm trying to figure out how early I need to get there. Thanks

Rhyolite

STA71720.jpg

Hey guys I found out Our Lady Peace is playing the night before the concert. Anyone else going? Anyone have any info on how to get tickets? My brother and I have both looked online and haven't been able to find anywhere to purchase tickets.

Also, what time are those in GA planning on arriving? I'm trying to figure out how early I need to get there. Thanks

Americans know Our Lady Peace? :hmm:

I have been known to do karaoke. :shifty:

U2 songs are usually too low for me to sing, though. There are a few I can do comfortably, like Lemon and In a Little While. Those are fun to sing.

hi everyone.. this has probably been discussed here already but how are people getting to sam boyd from the strip?? is it only cabs? I plan on going around 7am from mandalay bay if anyone wants to share a cab?

Yeah. It was evening in November.

I was talking to my husband about this last night (!) and he thinks that if you left Lone Pine early, saw the tree, and booked on through Death Valley, you could hit Rhyolite by evening. It's an hour or so from there to Vegas. If you go to Zabriskie Point, I'd skip trying for Rhyolite, because it's south through the Valley, but on the way-ish to Vegas.

You could also do some of this on the Saturday between shows, on the way home from Vegas.

I wish I had time to go to Death Valley. Last time I was there, my camera was dead and I saw a dead kangeroo rat in some water at Badwater basin.

Poor kangeroo rat!:sad:

You want a picture of a poor little dead kangaroo rat?

A few months ago there was a Kangaroo Rat behind my washing machine.

It took me the good part of an hour to catch the little guy.

If you guys haven't bought a flight and/or hotel...Allegiant Air has a buy one air/hotel package, 2nd person flies free that expires September 25. I just got the email...if you're coming from California, it usually isn't too expensive. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom