New Album Discussion/Speculation Continued...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOST in the music.

Track 3 - Island of Forever.

KATE:
I tried to be a liar.
Thought that I could roam free
Thinking I'd be home soon,
Until my horse showed up here with me

JACOB:
The stone was on the scale, yo.
A game with my smokey bro.
Two souls too scarred to be...
in the realm of sexuality.
Blame it on a crazy ass mom.

MAN IN BLACK:
I built a well on the Island.
Straight down to the magic light.
It's not if I believe in the light
If the light believes in me
Oh, I'm getting the fuck out of here, Jacob.

JACK AND LOCKE:
On the Island of Forever
I crashed and lived to see.
But I did not notice any flyers-by
And they did not notice me

BEN:
I've been involved with black smoke
At the cabin of the dark one
My body's now tumor-free, thanks to
Jack working on my back.
But I'm back to playing the part.
Of the man that seems in charge.
Yet I'm a man that Jacob ignores.
And yet I only yearn...
To be the leader in control

DESMOND:
I was punching in the numbers...at the Swan EM machine...
I could see in the reflection...Penny's face staring back at me

DESMOND, JACK and LOCKE:
On the Island of Forever

RICHARD and TOM FRIENDLY:
I was leaving on the submarine.
Passed the station where Charlie died.
TOM FRIENDLY:
I was eyeing Richard the entire way.
RICHARD:
And I was hoping the looks would stop

WHOLE CAST:
On the Island of Forever

U2 has a song called Stranger in a Strange Land.
Lost has an episode called Stranger in a Strange Land.

Mr Eko said "Do not mistake coincidence for fate".

Also, Lost ended in 2010. 2010 + 4 (one of the cursed numbers) = 2014. Ha!

SPIN | Music News, Album Reviews, Concert Photos, MP3s, Videos and More

"From Eminem to Arcade Fire, from Gaga to Drake, it's one of the hottest falls in memory"

Again, I still believe their album was "delayed" due to all of these releases.

Side note, On Kings Of Leon's new album - "solid as any they've ever made" and billboard pretty much saying its their best. I at least have this to be excited for this fall.

SPIN | Music News, Album Reviews, Concert Photos, MP3s, Videos and More

"From Eminem to Arcade Fire, from Gaga to Drake, it's one of the hottest falls in memory"

Again, I still believe their album was "delayed" due to all of these releases.

Side note, On Kings Of Leon's new album - "solid as any they've ever made" and billboard pretty much saying its their best. I at least have this to be excited for this fall.

I highly doubt that U2, one of the most successful, innovative, and brave mainstream rock bands ever would look at a release schedule populated by a has-been rapper, a moronic rapper, and garbage pop masquerading as art and say to themselves, "Gee look at all these records by popular artists! Maybe we should hold back..." I seriously fucking doubt it. They're U2 for god's sake. They're certainly confident enough in their work to think that Drake, Eminem, Lady Gaga, and Arcade Fire (mediocre in every way) are no threat. If U2 weren't scared off by Nirvana in 1993 or GnR in 1991 they're not going to be scared off by those benchwarmers. The only conceivable threats to U2 in terms of attention were the surprise releases of the Bowie and MBV records. Only a shock that big could derail a U2 release. Well, that and the fact that people might not care all that much anymore anyway...

The only reason they're not releasing it is because it's not finished. It'll be out when they're ready to release it.

I don't think the fall releases had anything to do with U2 not releasing the album in the fall. The people buying albums by Eminem, Lady Gaga and everyone else are probably not U2 fans anyway. Arcade Fire, maybe, but I'd like to think that a consumer wouldn't get themselves into a shopping situation where they have to chose just one album to buy. I could be wrong.

I highly doubt that U2, one of the most successful, innovative, and brave mainstream rock bands ever would look at a release schedule populated by a has-been rapper, a moronic rapper, and garbage pop masquerading as art and say to themselves, "Gee look at all these records by popular artists! Maybe we should hold back..." I seriously fucking doubt it. They're U2 for god's sake. They're certainly confident enough in their work to think that Drake, Eminem, Lady Gaga, and Arcade Fire (mediocre in every way) are no threat. If U2 weren't scared off by Nirvana in 1993 or GnR in 1991 they're not going to be scared off by those benchwarmers. The only conceivable threats to U2 in terms of attention were the surprise releases of the Bowie and MBV records. Only a shock that big could derail a U2 release. Well, that and the fact that people might not care all that much anymore anyway...

The only reason they're not releasing it is because it's not finished. It'll be out when they're ready to release it.

If I had an album as good as Achtung Baby, I wouldn't be afraid of Guns'n'Roses or Nirvana either. If I had an album no better than NLOTH, I'd be scared.

I don't think the fall releases had anything to do with U2 not releasing the album in the fall. The people buying albums by Eminem, Lady Gaga and everyone else are probably not U2 fans anyway. Arcade Fire, maybe, but I'd like to think that a consumer wouldn't get themselves into a shopping situation where they have to chose just one album to buy. I could be wrong.

The "other fall releases" theory has credence, but not for the reason you suggested. It's less about fans having to decide which album to buy (you're right- there aren't many people buying both Eminem and U2) and more about general visibility, like magazine covers and chart numbers. The band may have wanted to avoid the fall not because they have a similar fanbase as other big artists releasing, but because they have a totally different fanbase. I'm not happy about it either, but anyone thinking U2 could top Gaga or a number of other artists on the charts are probably fooling themselves, and perhaps the band just doesn't want that. So they're waiting until it's a bit calmer. :shrug:

You're right that the same fans most likely won't buy Eminem or Gaga but I back that theory with the promotion schedules that all of these will take up space for. Kings Of Leon are on the cover of Q Mag in October. Im sure Pearl Jam and Arcade Fire will get tons of press as well.

I'm still going with January single and album start of March. There's no reason to think otherwise. Remember, Bono said they are NEARLY there. "Nearly" does not equal 12 months or longer, even for U2 surely!
I'm not aware of any other big releases planned around March. Time of year means bugger all, especially these days when physical copies barely sell. If the album is great it will sell accordingly. But if it's another NLOTH then expect the same results.

U2 has really been out of the mainstream for about 10 years (Vertigo is the last time most of the public has heard them). I have this strange feeling the new album is going to pack some serious punch and we're gonna be floored. I have faith these men are really onto something and they don't want arbitrary deadlines to screw with them.

I also predict that after the album is out and the tour is underway - they will release a large collection of "rarities" and "B-sides" and "jam sessions" (much larger than the HTDAAB) for 29 cents a song on iTunes.

It sounds like the album is "nearly" done. It sounds like the have decided not to release it for a variety of reasons and they unleashed a nervous Bono to let us know "no 2013" but warned him not to say anything they might regret or lock them into any promises ("no lying, Bono!" they sternly warned), hence his halting fallback on cliches and vague Bonoisms.

I see nothing to indicate any reason to panic. The U2 world is vast and complex, there is never a single explanation for anything. At the end of the day, yes, they are The Deciders, but they also aren't stupid. They've had a rather good career. I'd like to think, on average, they know what is best for them and for all U2 world.

We all know how valuable the hype machine is to U2. I find it less likely that they're worried about a crowded marketplace, and more likely that their usual allies in the music press -- Rolling Stone, Spin, Q, NME, etc -- will be too overwhelmed with promoting different albums and artists to give them The Push they are accustomed to. There are always back door dealings as far as promotion goes, and if there was concern about attention from traditional press (if they were negotiating for magazine covers etc and getting push back), holding back makes sense. Look at the blitzkrieg of promotion JT did this winter/spring -- he certainly reaped the benefits of a less-crowded marketplace as well as a massive, undiluted marketing push. As did The Civil Wars with a chart-topping late-summer release.

I also think that the success over the past few years of albums released in different quarters -- and the clearly backloaded fourth quarter of this year -- means that U2 are changing up their strategy again. Maybe they're dreaming it all up again. More power to 'em.

The album will be out when it is ready and we are happy with it and not a day before.

The album will be out when it is ready and we are happy with it and not a day before.

3vomyg.jpg

I also think that the success over the past few years of albums released in different quarters -- and the clearly backloaded fourth quarter of this year -- means that U2 are changing up their strategy again. Maybe they're dreaming it all up again. More power to 'em.

A bit different than last time, eh?

U2 1989: dreaming up music
u2 2013: dreaming up commerce

Seriously, I doubt that's what they're doing.

The mention of JT was interesting. U2 have to know that they'll get about a quarter of the attention that hack got. And they ought to be aware that they're not in competition with any of the pop stars putting out product this fall, nor are they competing with Arcade Fire. They occupy different spaces.

I can't believe anyone would think that U2 would be so crass as to delay their album for X months just because of a release schedule. Every fall has had a packed schedule, and that's obviously never been a problem before.

What's so hard about believing that the album isn't done?

What's so hard about believing that the album isn't done?

I guess people figure that after this long it MUST be. But in all seriousness I think it was at a point of nearly finished in June and they've decided to do some reworking. All going well I expect it to be finished before year's end, ready for a massive 2014.

My apologies if someone already brought this up, but I recall No Line was supposed to be released in the Fall of 2008 and it was delayed until March of 2009.

I heard about Bono's interview where he said the new album might not be released until 2014. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :huh:

At least Pearl Jam have got their shit together. :wink: They've already a got a new single, video (which they hardly ever make) and a release date. Good times! :up:

I think it's a bit naive and narrow-minded to suggest that they people who buy U2 albums don't also buy Eminem, Timberlake, ,Gaga, the artists listed in that article, etc.

Not that I think this is the main reason for releasing in March 2014, as I've mentioned there are other factors, but just the statement itself flies in the face of the fact that the 10 million people who are buying U2 albums are likely buying one if not all of those other artists as well. And U2 wants the people who buys those artists, also.

A trip through our own B&C section reveals this to be true, imo.

I saw in another thread Adam got married. I guess the rumors were true and I'm guessing the band has enough respect for Adam to give him time to enjoy his marriage/honeymoon. If they knew about the wedding Sept was out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom