LA #3 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not hyperbole at all. I genuinely think Bono has written very few decent lyrics since Pop, and I wouldn't expect that's a particularly controversial opinion either. The last four albums are littered with many absolute clunkers and very few gems. From 1984 to 1997 he wrote consistently great lyrics; yes, there are also some shockers in there, and I'm sure someone will cite them in reply to this post, but they were exceptions. A song like Miami grated not just because it's bad, but because it was thrown into stark relief by just how great the lyrics were in some other songs on Pop (though I'll concede that album is a bit more of a lyrical mess - part brilliance, part failure - than those preceding it).

Since 2000, Bono's lyrics have devolved into cheap cliches and sloganeering. It's like he's afraid somebody might miss his point, so he spells it out in as obvious a fashion as possible to beat you around the head. The subtlety and the nuance are gone; the slogans and the awkward metaphors are in. SOI shows some improvement from the bottom-of-the-barrel shit on the three previous albums (Elevation? Peace On Earth? ABOY? Vertigo? Breathe? Unknown Caller? And especially fucking Boots and Stand Up Comedy!), but good grief he's fallen far from his lyrical glory days. It's safe to say I don't expect Bono to ever again write lyrics on the level of A Sort Of Homecoming, One Tree Hill, Exit, The Fly, Love Is Blindness, Please, etc.

Totally disagree. Not only have the four albums post 2000 been awesome musically and lyrically, but so has there post 2000 non-album material.

I'd love to go to a U2 concert where every song was post 2000 non-album songs.

I think those complaining in here about the setlist are really overthinking their fandom and are suffering from following these live shows by-proxy.

Bono recently said he discovered how clean bathroom walls are these days and he thinks its because all those people spend their time posting that stuff on internet message boards now.

Oh, and on the topic of reactions when in attendance by those of us who take a balanced view towards U2 (appreciating the good stuff, slagging the bad stuff) and don't feel compelled to adore everything they do - I've enjoyed most shows I've been to. The three in Boston in May 2005 were incredible. The second show in Auckland in 2006 was something extraordinary because of the surprise mid-show performance of Bad and then the final song of the night being One Tree Hill. I felt complete after that gig.

But other shows have not been so flash. I was definitely a bit flat after the third Dublin show in 2009. For a band with a history of mixing it up at third shows, they suddenly went safe - after doing a very bold soundcheck, which just rubbed in what they could have done. However, nothing compared to the second Melbourne show in 2010. The first show was pretty good. The second show started great. I was really enjoying myself, thinking the show was even better than the first night... and then came the first notes of Stuck. The show fell apart completely. Then a totally uninspired performance of Pride. Then - even though I knew it was coming - In A Little While. Then fucking Ultra Violet in the encore rather than the beast that is HMTMKMKM; I'd already sat through UV seven times too many in 2009. Awful show. Apart from reporting for U2gigs, I didn't listen to U2 for ages after how much that show sucked.

Cobbler may reckon the first Brisbane show had a worse set, but I'll take North Star any day over Stuck. Check out the whole sack of crap here: U2 Melbourne, 2010-12-03, Etihad Stadium, 360° Tour - U2 on tour

I wish Melbourne night 1 (U2 Melbourne, 2010-12-01, Etihad Stadium, 360° Tour - U2 on tour) had been the second night instead so that my experience of live U2 in 2010 could've ended on a positive rather than a negative note.

It's not hyperbole at all. I genuinely think Bono has written very few decent lyrics since Pop, and I wouldn't expect that's a particularly controversial opinion either. The last four albums are littered with many absolute clunkers and very few gems. From 1984 to 1997 he wrote consistently great lyrics; yes, there are also some shockers in there, and I'm sure someone will cite them in reply to this post, but they were exceptions. A song like Miami grated not just because it's bad, but because it was thrown into stark relief by just how great the lyrics were in some other songs on Pop (though I'll concede that album is a bit more of a lyrical mess - part brilliance, part failure - than those preceding it).

Since 2000, Bono's lyrics have devolved into cheap cliches and sloganeering. It's like he's afraid somebody might miss his point, so he spells it out in as obvious a fashion as possible to beat you around the head. The subtlety and the nuance are gone; the slogans and the awkward metaphors are in. SOI shows some improvement from the bottom-of-the-barrel shit on the three previous albums (Elevation? Peace On Earth? ABOY? Vertigo? Breathe? Unknown Caller? And especially fucking Boots and Stand Up Comedy!), but good grief he's fallen far from his lyrical glory days. It's safe to say I don't expect Bono to ever again write lyrics on the level of A Sort Of Homecoming, One Tree Hill, Exit, The Fly, Love Is Blindness, Please, etc.

I'm not even gonna get into because it's personal opinion but you just copped out by doing exactly what I figured you'd do. Take some of the weaker lyrical examples this century and compare them with some of the better examples of the past. Anyone could do that in reverse but I won't waste my time doing that. For the record he's written many songs this century with lyrics that rival those. You can find them for youself though if you chose to. They aren't hard to find. It's whether you chose to acknowledge them or not. Music doesn't always have to be a pretentious competetion either so whether a lyric is vague with subtle nuances or not doesn't detremine the level greatness of it.

We'll have to agree to disagree I just think it's pure nonsense to suggest Bono has barely written a good lyric in the last 19 years.

Totally disagree. Not only have the four albums post 2000 been awesome musically and lyrically, but so has there post 2000 non-album material.

No era with a lyric as bad as "stop helping god across the road like a little old lady" can be redeemed.

A show of only post-2000 songs would be perfect in sealing in the opinions of every person from my generation that U2 blows. And they wouldn't be wrong to think so.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Not a chance would I pay money to this band to see them play a worst-of setlist.

Maybe I'm just different in the fact that I don't care as much about the set list rather I'm just grateful in seeing my favorite band live after 4-5 years. And this tour with the set up and light screen and cat walk and everything is really just phenomenal. Are you going to a show? I'm literally curious as to why so many people are just bitching about the set list. If you saw them live on this tour .. and same with everyone else .. I think the complaining would stop. It's easy to complain if you're not there.

Maybe I'm just different in the fact that I don't care as much about the set list rather I'm just grateful in seeing my favorite band live after 4-5 years. And this tour with the set up and light screen and cat walk and everything is really just phenomenal. Are you going to a show? I'm literally curious as to why so many people are just bitching about the set list. If you saw them live on this tour .. and same with everyone else .. I think the complaining would stop. It's easy to complain if you're not there.

:up:

I'm not even gonna get into because it's personal opinion but you just copped out by doing exactly what I figured you'd do. Take some of the weaker lyrical examples this century and compare them with some of the better examples of the past. Anyone could do that in reverse but I won't waste my time doing that. For the record he's written many songs this century with lyrics that rival those. You can find them for youself though if you chose to. They aren't hard to find. It's whether you chose to acknowledge them or not. Music doesn't always have to be a pretentious competetion either so whether a lyric is vague with subtle nuances or not doesn't detremine the level greatness of it.

We'll have to agree to disagree I just think it's pure nonsense to suggest Bono has barely written a good lyric in the last 19 years.

I'm honestly trying to think of what I consider to be decent lyrics post-Pop but not a whole lot is coming to me. Cedarwood Road and The Troubles have some very good lines. Fez is a good stream of consciousness, and Cedars of Lebanon, White As Snow, and NLOTH have some evocative imagery. I'm really struggling to think of much beyond individual lines that I appreciate from ATYCLB and HTDAAB - the songs I appreciate, I appreciate despite rather than because of their lyrics. I suppose there's When I Look at the World. I've also always liked Electrical Storm and felt it unfair that it cops so much shit for its lyrics when that awful "heavy as a truck" line isn't actually that representative of its general lyrical quality.

Running on a high from the show and I come in here to this...great.

Fun fact from someone who was there: Elevation and Stuck were two of the best songs of the night. Huge crowd reaction, band sounded great, lot of energy and emotion. Shocking, I know!

Favorite of the night was Bullet, god damn was Edge on fire. The new songs sounded good as well, especially Raised by Wolves and Cedarwood. Iris wasn't as awesome live as I was hoping but it was still great. Crowd reaction to these was obviously lesser than the hits, but I think Raised by Wolves and EBW will be the two to survive on in the future...big live songs.

Disliked how Bono changed the Streets lyrics. Everyone around me was confused for a while until we got back to the chorus.

And we were so close! I mean, damn, hard to imagine a better GA spot. By the end I was pretty much rail on Adam's side, which I've decided is a better place to watch Edge from than Edge's side! In the stands tomorrow but great show, boys were on top form. Hope we get Bad tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1433054573.328365.jpg

Oh, and on the topic of reactions when in attendance by those of us who take a balanced view towards U2 (appreciating the good stuff, slagging the bad stuff) and don't feel compelled to adore everything they do

Sometimes you just can't resist, can you? :wink:

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1433054599.353243.jpg

Tonight was so effing good. My favorite picture I took.

Moment of Surrender is great lyrically imo. But yeah, most of the 2000's-Present era has been awful. Songs like Dirty Day, One Tree Hill, Please, Tomorrow, Running To Stand Still, etc put them all to shame.

How was SBS, people who went? Some people were saying you could feel the energy being zapped away, but I disagree. I think it's breaths being taken away, and I don't think that's getting captured very well in the streams. I think its really special.

How was SBS? Some people were saying you could feel the energy being zapped away, but I disagree. I think it's breaths being taken away. I think its really special.

Lame in my opinion. Should be acoustic with Edge singing, and then blast right into Wolves.

Biggest complaint in my opinion was the lighting. It just wasn't used very effectively at all. Think of them just blasting every light imaginable on Streets once it kicks in, and tonight that didn't happen. Few other places where it felt flat. Iris and a few others come to mind. Hard to tell what was going on with the screen from where I was but it definitely seems cool.

I could go GA again tomorrow but really...feels like there wasn't a better spot to stand so I want to take it in from a different vantage point. Guess I'll head over to the dedicated pictures thread now.

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1433055314.699227.jpgImageUploadedByU2 Interference1433055332.791997.jpg

A show of only post-2000 songs would be perfect in sealing in the opinions of every person from my generation that U2 blows. And they wouldn't be wrong to think so.

What is your generation?

Just arrived back at my relative's home after the show. Some initial thoughts from me as well...

After doing GA three times during the 360 tour, I went into this tour wanting to have lower bowl seats for at least one show. I'm really glad I did it, not only for the vantage point, but also for the convenience and being able to do whatever before the show while still having a great view. Even though I still plan on doing GA twice next month in Chicago, I can easily see myself having seats to shows in the future and not having a problem with it. Nosebleeds, on the other hand... :lol:

Some Favorites of the Night: The Miracle (works as an opener for the most part), IWF, Cedarwood Road, UTEOTW.

The Favorite of the Night: Kind of a shocker here for me... but EBTTRT kicked all sorts of butt for me tonight. I kept reading on here about how it didn't fit in the set or came off a bit flat, which maybe had something to do with seeing it in GA? But I really liked the video that they did for the song and thought it was performed pretty well, especially with Bono's vocals.

Speaking of Bono's vocals... I did notice a few more screw-ups than normally, most notably on IWF and another song or two. It didn't do much to change my opinion for the show, but I'm sure some people will still wish they would perform 30+ songs like Pearl Jam anyway (even at the risk of even more screw-ups, haha).

And speaking of videos... I'm also glad that I did seats for this reason. It's nice to have at least one show under my belt where I could pay attention to what they're doing on the screens and how it came across. UTEOTW, Cedarwood, and EBTTRT particularly stood out for me here. Also the Raised By Wolves transition beforehand too (loud bangs and all!).

The crowd around me was a bit older with few younger faces, and a lot of them seemed to be there to party or just sit and watch. A few did get up and sing loudly though, especially for the well-known tracks. SBS actually got a huge reaction from everyone when it started, and the same for Pride. Like it or not, the warhorses get the biggest reaction and it's probably going to stay that way.

After hearing some people talk about it from prior shows, I did notice that aside from a good portion of the GA, there's a bunch of people that are used to sitting or watching without reacting. But maybe that does have something to do with the audience getting older and such... but who knows though?

For all the hatred Elevation has on here, it does get people jumping in the GA and everyone singing along. Stuck also had its supporters in the crowd... more so than EBW, where I noticed more people than normal taking bathroom breaks (I'm guessing the piano tracks didn't help in that respect though).

Overall, I'm happy with what I got. Would've been interesting to see tracks like Desire or The Troubles and such, but I still have at least two shows to go for some surprises to happen. We'll have to wait and see!

Photos and more stuff should be posted in the review thread by Monday!

Actually, how did the wristband/GA system work? When did they hand out the wristbands?

9 am for the first people in the GA line/list. Then you could go home or whatever and comeback at 4.
For people showing up the very day of the show and not on the line/list, they were giving wristbands through out the day until it hit 300 or 500, I don't rememeber.

--------------

Ok, I have to tell you this
Today (May 30) was my last show :sad: as I'm flying back to Chile on Sunday at 13:00.

I got in line yesterday (Friday), I was 67. I didn't had a ticket.
For the check-in at 10 pm I couldn't make it (I was in Irvine at a Bob Saget stand-up), so I got there at 1 am and was 88. Still no ticket.
I was there again at 7 am to check in and line up for the wristbands at 9. I was 87 now.
But I didn't had a ticket.
We waited all day at the box office, only for a guy to tell us at 6:something pm that there was no GA drops for the show. By that time the line had gone in, I lost my number, I had no ticket...

I started wandering around, talking to some friends. Then with a girl we started to ask to the late arrivals if they had extra GAs. Her mom and a mexican dude got tickets that way in less than a minute apart, so we kept going.
But then it was like 8:30, cold, windy, I was thinking of going to see San Andreas on IMAX... I asked to another couple/group if they had an spare GA. They said no, and the girl tels me they had started. Some loud music was playing.

And then, someone says "Hey!!!... come here..."
It was the last guy I had asked, giving me the "come here" finger.
"What's your name?"
"...Jose"
"Are you a big U2 fan?"
"... yes, I'm from Chile and I.."
"Here you go..."
"... :crack: ..."

He gave me TWO tickets... FOR FREE.
The girl was almost crying and saying to me "say thank you" but I was in shock and wasn't saying anything... we took them and got in.
As I was walking to the floor I ran into the guy again.
"Hey, what's YOUR name?" I said.
"Bobby"
"Thank you, Bobby, I really thank you"
Then we took a picture him, his wife and me (The girl was saying goodbye to her husband and got behind).
I went to the floor and there he was... Bono on the e-stage... STARTING THE SHOW.. OOOOOOH OOOOOOOOOOOOOH OOOOH OOOOH...

At that moment, it was truly the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard.
This was the night the miracle ocurred :D

(If only Bono would've read my "MY FINAL SHOW, CAN WE PLAY TOGETHER?" sign and make it happen, it would've been even better)

I tried to help you out, Pepo. I had a GA that went unused :sad:. Glad you got in in the end.

Guys, I had so much fun tonight. Sorry you all weren't happy. Show rocked the fuck out and it was far higher energy than what I saw from night 2 and what I experienced from night 1. Tomorrow's my last show,and I have obstructed view seats, so I don't expect much, but if the setlist is crazy enough, it won't matter :D .

I tried to help you out, Pepo. I had a GA that went unused :sad:. Glad you got in in the end.

Guys, I had so much fun tonight. Sorry you all weren't happy. Show rocked the fuck out and it was far higher energy than what I saw from night 2 and what I experienced from night 1. Tomorrow's my last show,and I have obstructed view seats, so I don't expect much, but if the setlist is crazy enough, it won't matter :D .

You were there? When? What number? :ohmy:

WHAT?
I wish I could've seen it.
I'm sorry. It would've made my life so much easier.
I would've gone to see the movie too jajajaja

Ugh, one of the two songs I REALLY hoped they'd give a rest this tour. :crack: Please do not keep playing that the next leg kthnxbai..

It is hyperbole, and it is purely subjective. It is also coming from somebody who will fanboy out at the drop of a hat if they play a song such as 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. Now, that is not necessarily a criticism; I value that passion and joy. To me, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock is a good song, with abstract lyrics that reflect Bono's style at the time as he learnt his craft. However, I don't believe it is an especially cohesive song, and I wouldn't describe the lyrics themselves as good. As far as U2 songs go, it is nowhere near the echelon of songs I wish to hear live.

As you acknowledge, Bono has changed as a songwriter. You describe it as a devolution. Like all of us, he has gone through different phases in life. I no longer feel like Bono is as affected by the angst that has assisted some of his truly great and introspective songwriting, but I believe he still writes intelligent lyrics. They just aren't to your taste.

To say he has barely written a single decent lyric - which you then backtrack on slightly to say he's written "very few" - is hyperbole. U2 are still critically acclaimed and have been a great success since the turn of the century. They have material in this period that stands amongst their best work, in my opinion. It may not be my favourite album, but I listened to All That You Can't Leave Behind this morning, and it felt both fresh and classic. You may disagree, that is your prerogative. But to position yourself as one of the fans "who take a balanced view towards U2" to my mind is false and entitled. More accurate, in my opinion, is that you can't see the forest for the trees. You provide a wonderful service with your cataloguing of all things live U2, but with that inevitably comes a level of apathy that 99.9% of other fans don't feel to the same degree. So to describe yourself as balanced, despite being the 0.1%, is a false balance in and of itself.

You don't like Stuck. I love it. You wish they mixed up their setlists. I wish I had abstained from any knowledge of their setlists so that when I see them in July, WHATEVER they play is a fresh surprise. This debate is all about perspectives and opinions. Just please don't insinuate that yours is more balanced than anybody else's, or that your utilitarian response to an artist is more or less equivalent to anybody else's.

I had a long reply typed out and then lost it and it probably wasn't worth sustaining the debate in the first place so I'll leave it be. Certainly I think some of your insinuations about me are either specious or entirely inaccurate, but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom