Finally we have an album: SONGS OF INNOCENCE!! DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just so fuckin' thankful that I don't have to debate resisting some sort of leak with this album. Because it has been so long, I was seriously considering waiting for a release date to take it all in. Now, I'm hitting the wine shop on the way home from work, A bottle, the record, and some drunk U2 fan posts. My night is set! :drool:

I think there's so much sheer joy and adrenaline going about this thing right now, I'm not going to say anything remotely negative about it...partially because right now I don't even trust my own ears regarding it, because I'm feeling joy and adrenaline about it myself, it's hard to be objective about it at this moment.

I like what I hear...saying much more than that, positive or negative, is probably pretty meaningless for me right now.

I think once things calm down in the next few months, we'll all have a pretty balanced opinion on the songs for the most part.

That being said, it's hard not to get caught up in the excitement of a sudden album drop. Not to mention that everyone is getting to hear the tracks for the first time almost simultaneously, which rarely happens these days!

I'm just so fuckin' thankful that I don't have to debate resisting some sort of leak with this album. Because it has been so long, I was seriously considering waiting for a release date to take it all in. Now, I'm hitting the wine shop on the way home from work, A bottle, the record, and some drunk U2 fan posts. My night is set! :drool:

I agree. Might have to get a bottle here myself!

I think once things calm down in the next few months, we'll all have a pretty balanced opinion on the songs for the most part.

That being said, it's hard not to get caught up in the excitement of a sudden album drop. Not to mention that everyone is getting to hear the tracks for the first time almost simultaneously, which rarely happens these days!

It's a pretty great experience.

Another random thought: I am a little surprised that Invisible is not here, because of how well it would fit lyrically. But I also think that it definitely would not be one of the better songs on this album.

Yeah...poor Invisible, seems like the unwanted stepchild.

Which is kind of strange, considering I think it would be a "standout" on this record (not necessarily in terms of quality, but in terms of its sound), and definitely would sound unique among these tracks, which I'm hoping over time will "separate" themselves more from each other for me. And you're right, it would seem to fit right in lyrically.

Invisible will go as Track 12 in my iTunes playlist on this record, I think. At least, until the bonus tracks with the physical release. :)

Can't be angry and/or depressed forever. While I find U2's dark stuff the most interesting (and it's too soon to rank this album with anything else), I think they are just in a different place in their lives. The ability to write in darker shades still exist. But I think they are more content with their lives at 50, than they were in mid 20's and 30's.

I remember when Bono talked about how the unreleased album SOA sounded, my expectations where realy high back then. Maybe those songs could be on this new album, but no.

The song are so flat :(

Maybe Songs of Experience will bring out the more depressed side of Bono's songwriting. To be honest, the second half of Songs of Innocence teeter on anger and frustration, so maybe the followup will go down that darker route.

Yeah...poor Invisible, seems like the unwanted stepchild.

Which is kind of strange, considering I think it would be a "standout" on this record, and definitely would sound unique among these tracks, which I'm hoping over time will "separate" themselves more from each other for me.

Invisible will go as Track 12 in my iTunes playlist on this record, I think. At least, until the bonus tracks with the physical release. :)

Yeah, it would probably be in the top half of the album for me, and that's just the edited version.

Not sure about it as a closer; I'm seeing it more as a track 2. Don't like how the energy created by The Miracle drops down so far with Every Breaking Wave.

WOW. "Sleep like a Baby Tonight" isn't near my favorite song on the album after first listen, but it's just such a cool sounding song and I love what U2 are doing with this record.

Fantastic. Can't wait to keep listening over and over.

WOW. "Sleep like a Baby Tonight" isn't near my favorite song on the album after first listen, but it's just such a cool sounding song and I love what U2 are doing with this record.

Fantastic. Can't wait to keep listening over and over.

Wish more of the songs were like this. Synth driven erotic dark stuff but not depressing. It's kinda what I've been waiting for. They've enough anthems already.

After first listen so this is just an initial reaction which may/probably will evolve -- have to say this might their best album since 2001.

Excellent - Songs I really like:

* Raised by Wolves
* Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
* This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
* California (There Is No End To Love)
* Iris (Hold Me Close)

Good - Songs I Like Quite a Bit:

* The Miracle (Joey Ramone)
* Volcano
* Cedarwood Road

OK or so-so songs:

* Every Breaking Wave (not hearing what others are, apparently -- it's just okay for me)
* Song For Someone
* The Troubles

I love having virgin ears untainted by leaks and reviews. Just plugged into Miracle . . . ahhhh

HOLY CRAP!!!

This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now

only one more new listen =( time for the troubles.

Ohh, this is cool for sure. Been a fan since the JT era but lately the faith has been all but totaly gone. NLOTH didn't touch me at all.

I've been around here from time to time without posting. Never felt the need. Until now. Cuz you know this one has swept my feet from underneath me... So strong! Quality shit this is. Second only to AB. I mean this one is so of it's times. Like AB was. Eating The Killers, Coldplay, Swift and such alive.

For the first time since forever U2 will kill the radio me thinks. AND I like the songs. Haha... this is just crazy!

As an old tired U2 fan I couldn't be happier.:heart: I will sleep like a baby tonight.

Thank You.

Ohh, this is cool for sure. Been a fan since the JT era but lately the faith has been all but totaly gone. NLOTH didn't touch me at all.

I've been around here from time to time without posting. Never felt the need. Until now. Cuz you know this one has swept my feet from underneath me... So strong! Quality shit this is. Second only to AB. I mean this one is so of it's times. Like AB was. Eating The Killers, Coldplay, Swift and such alive.

For the first time since forever U2 will kill the radio me thinks. AND I like the songs. Haha... this is just crazy!

As an old tired U2 fan I couldn't be happier.:heart: I will sleep like a baby tonight.

Thank You.

Pretty much agree with this wholeheartedly. In the same boat myself.

Still in the first listen, but it surprisingly has a very clean production to it; I was fearing it would be mess with the last minute changes... but very clean, very "poppy" and "up" feeling so far.

Boy! It took a long time to read all 47 pages! LOL

I'm in that befuddled stage which comes when U2 reinvents itself to this degree. In many ways, this sounds completely different from any of their albums. My favorites early on are Raised by Wolves, Volcano, The Miracle of Joey Ramone, and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight. I'm not into Song for Someone or California yet. I suspect that California is an example of a great band playing the hell out of a mediocre track, but we'll see how I feel in a few weeks.

It seems to be a back-heavy album.

All in all, a joyful amazing day. I spent a couple hours in the woods with my headphones on, just dancing.

I can't process all this... mostly my question right now what isn't Invisible on the album? Was there ever a delay or this was all planned? Or did it change...

Another random thought: I am a little surprised that Invisible is not here, because of how well it would fit lyrically. But I also think that it definitely would not be one of the better songs on this album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm not that disappointed.

Question...I don't own any Apple products (Other than an old Ipod). Must one have to own an IPhone or the like in order to have an iCloud? Thanks

I hope i :heart: this album in 3 months as much as i do right now

Its a fucking breath of fresh air and it sounds like something you shout from the highest mountain top

I wont bother anyone with my track by track bullshit opinion or anything like that. But this is pretty fucking WoW stuff here. <-- pretty sure i wont be embarassed by writing this later.

Well done band & production team.

Throw the mail on the desk and sort through it later. Fuck the chores. Listen to the waves and float away into the sunrise, sunset, wherever the heart can latch onto without limits or regrets, wind take me away from here and show me a different side of peace and joy ive been hiding from all of my life.

I can't process all this... mostly my question right now what isn't Invisible on the album? Was there ever a delay or this was all planned? Or did it change...

If there is indeed a follow-up album, maybe that could explain some things there.

Pretty good effort from a bunch of 50-something year olds. Sounds fresh.

Question...I don't own any Apple products (Other than an old Ipod). Must one have to own an IPhone or the like in order to have an iCloud? Thanks

If you have an iTunes account and it's downloaded onto a laptop/PC, that should be sufficient.

So what's left for part 2?

"The Light"
"Mount Zion"
"I'll Believe Her When She Sings"
"Mother of Pearl"
"If I Could Live My Life Again"
"Love Is All We Have Left"
"North Star"
"Lead Me In The Way I Should Go"
"You Can't Give Away Your Heart"

"The Sacred Heart of Malibu" -> California

So what's left for part 2?

"The Light"
"Mount Zion"
"I'll Believe Her When She Sings"
"Mother of Pearl"
"If I Could Live My Life Again"
"Love Is All We Have Left"
"North Star"
"Lead Me In The Way I Should Go"
"You Can't Give Away Your Heart"

"The Sacred Heart of Malibu" -> California

im still holding out for 'Dear Garrison' :sexywink:

Oh -- and as a Beach Boys fan, how the hell does the opening to California "hint" at or "sounds like an homage to" the Beach Boys as some of the mag reviews say? FFS -- unless I am crazy I think Bono repeats "Barbara Ann" about a dozen times. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom