Desert Island IX: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No preference. DI1 was the only one I didn't vote in so I don't remember how that went down. The world cup system didn't bother me, other than the fact that certain divisions wound up being stacked as fuck and totally unfair, whereas others had only 1-2 lists anyone liked.

I just feel like my rankings were always really forced and uninformed. Sure, you can bullshit your votes here and there with polls, but eventually they will mean something when you finally hear the list. You only have one chance with the rankings and if you haven't heard all the lists, well, it's pretty meaningless.

DI1 was a straight round robin bracketed tourney. No frills, very straightforward. The polling at least gave the listening an immediacy that the private ranking system lacked.

What really needs to be encouraged are livestream-type listening parties. Folks decide to do a running diary on a list at a given time. I'd be curious to see how it works.

Yep, immediacy is extremely important. DI doesn't happen much anymore so I'd like to make an event out of it. As much as we all loathe the Other Place, I'll create a thread over there (maybe have a mod sticky it) to encourage voting, listening and possibly participation if we need it. Ideally, I want to re-energize the whole contest and yeah, listening parties would be fantastic. I was thinking plug.dj might work well.

I'm cool with either single or double disc length this time around, although I've been playing around more with longer playlists after the last comp. Also, just really want a lot of music right now.

Streaming parties would be awesome. Good for the comp and the forum alike. We need some shit like that here.

Yep, immediacy is extremely important. DI doesn't happen much anymore so I'd like to make an event out of it. As much as we all loathe the Other Place, I'll create a thread over there (maybe have a mod sticky it) to encourage voting, listening and possibly participation if we need it. Ideally, I want to re-energize the whole contest and yeah, listening parties would be fantastic. I was thinking plug.dj might work well.

My only concern here would be that if people from The Other Place joined in they might end up voting for a list that has their favourite U2 song or their favourite Coldplay song or whatever over a list that is really well put together but has some more challenging, shall we say, artists on it. I like it a lot on paper, and would hope that it would entice more people to this forum and then to try more new music, but many in The Other Place are not well known for having good taste in music. Basically, you don't want the "Radiohead fkn sucks lol" crowd voting.

live-time, all-in shitting on mine and IWB's lists haha

Haha, didn't you win one of these things once?

My issue with the rankings system was always that ranks 3-third to last always wound up being an arbitrary thing where they were really pretty much tied, but rankings meant someone had to be 4th and someone else 12th even if I found them totally interchangeable.

yes. I'm much better at them now than I was.

I'm keen for this. Have got a list about 70% ready to go. Was planning on entering it in the last one but I didn't get it done in time.

Much better at sequencing? Or do you just mean much better at picking songs people here would like?

As pleased as I usually am to find out that people here don't actually only listen to what would amount to a sampler of pitchfork bnm bands/rappers, there are certain sounds that go over better than others. it doesn't matter how well the bruisers' never fall follows the oppressed's it ain't right, iyup is always going to hate it and the tourist will always cry ear rape. It's the reason I like playing, though.

Both. First time I did it my own taste was very limited so it lost by a record margin. But as I've listened to way more music (and my tastes have been shaped by this forum) the songs have been better as well as sequencing.

That's a fair complaint, Ax often says the same. There's a majority here that have reasonably similar tastes.

LeMel, is there a rough date when this would start?

I usually start asking for completed submissions 3-4 weeks after the signup thread is started. This is complicated by the existence of the neverending Bowie survivor; I would like to start the polls up after it's over so as not to flood the front page of B&C, but you know how it goes. You'll have plenty of time, honestly.

My only concern here would be that if people from The Other Place joined in they might end up voting for a list that has their favourite U2 song or their favourite Coldplay song or whatever over a list that is really well put together but has some more challenging, shall we say, artists on it. I like it a lot on paper, and would hope that it would entice more people to this forum and then to try more new music, but many in The Other Place are not well known for having good taste in music. Basically, you don't want the "Radiohead fkn sucks lol" crowd voting.

This is true. Just an idea I'm kicking around but fairly intrigued by. If there's a furor over it, I'm not going to pursue it.

I usually start asking for completed submissions 3-4 weeks after the signup thread is started. This is complicated by the existence of the neverending Bowie survivor; I would like to start the polls up after it's over so as not to flood the front page of B&C, but you know how it goes. You'll have plenty of time, honestly.

Okay, in that case I'm reasonably sure I'm in.

Pretty sure I found the playlists from the ones I did participate in, since even if we take the no repeats from previous lists rule out, it would probably suit me better than anyone not to include a song I've included before.

1) reading my old posts does make me cringe and fuck do I not know how to shut up.

2) I miss Reggo

I'm interested as well. Only problem is that I stream most of the music I listen to nowadays. So it would be a bit of a pain in the ass to make a downloadable file. Is it okay to only submit a streamable list?

After 9 editions and almost 10 years running, I don't think any restrictions are necessary anymore.

Except one song per artist. That was the worst thing about the first DI. I'm sure most people wouldn't do it anyway, but I would reinforce it.

But anything else is fair game in my book. I'd even include unreleased stuff, fan-made mixes/mashups, and any other types of sources.

As for how you end up running it, that's up to you. I obviously prefer rankings to polls, but do whatever.

You can add me to this for now, but my status is tentative due to other things going on and I'm not 100% sure I will be able to participate. And if I do, it will be a shorter list this time.

I'm interested as well. Only problem is that I stream most of the music I listen to nowadays. So it would be a bit of a pain in the ass to make a downloadable file. Is it okay to only submit a streamable list?

We've done it that way before. It's fine with me.

After 9 editions and almost 10 years running, I don't think any restrictions are necessary anymore.

Except one song per artist. That was the worst thing about the first DI. I'm sure most people wouldn't do it anyway, but I would reinforce it.

But anything else is fair game in my book. I'd even include unreleased stuff, fan-made mixes/mashups, and any other types of sources.

As for how you end up running it, that's up to you. I obviously prefer rankings to polls, but do whatever.

You can add me to this for now, but my status is tentative due to other things going on and I'm not 100% sure I will be able to participate. And if I do, it will be a shorter list this time.

Sweet, you will be added to the list. Really glad you chimed in.

Everyone who has expressed interest will be added to the list when I start the thread; if you change your mind and need the list modified, just let me know.

:up:

Personally I'd prefer streamable lists, but is there a program/site that will work for that? Sometimes transitions/flow* can be ruined by tracks cutting off early or whatever.

*wtf?

it doesn't matter how well the bruisers' never fall follows the oppressed's it ain't right, iyup is always going to hate it and the tourist will always cry ear rape. It's the reason I like playing, though.

Hey, don't point the finger at me. :wink: I'll have you know I have never voted one of your lists last.

Totally agreed.

And I'm also strongly in favour of streamable lists, if there is an easy way to make them.

As for polls, I'm hesitant. I think that as a forum we're past the juvenile vote harvesting, where it became more a popularity contest of who could get the most friends to show up for one vote and never listen to a note, but I'm still concerned polls produce worse results than a ranking.

Seriously, I think we're mature enough to base our votes on the music. This is an insanely insular competition and we're all friends here.

It's funny how insular it's become - the first two or three had much broader participation. But they were also much patchier and had a poor rate of retention.

And fuck it, this is a special occasion. I feel like every time one of these comes up I initially make a "nah don't think I will" post and then I get sucked back in. I think it's happening again. Put me down, but schedule an alternative in case I really do pike.

I'll probably go for a shorter, one disc version this time. I think this allows for a more cohesive playlist as you can focus on one particular sound without it becoming too monotonous.

Not sure how I feel about advertising in The Other Place. I've always felt that the most interesting part of the competition is the feedback you get, not so much the voting aspects of it. And I'm plenty happy with feedback from the usual B&C crowd.

Maybe there are specific users from The Other Place who appear to have good taste who could be invited directly via PM?

A free-for-all gives me a bad feeling.

Back
Top Bottom