Desert Island IX: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
So he were are: DI9. It seemed to have been a bit in doubt for some time, but thanks to the interest shown here in B&C, we're returning to the island with a few years of new songs and discoveries to share.

The premise is the same as it ever was: try to create the best playlist you can within the time allotted. As has been the case for the past several DIs, the winner will be determined by a series of rankings compiled by the participants.

THE RULES
1. Your playlist may not fall short of 60 or exceed 160 minutes, but however you choose to present the list within those constraints is fine (iPod playlist, vinyl sides, CDs, etc.). We've collectively chosen to adjust the rules on this matter to facilitate the listening process, as well as add a new dimension to playlist making. Please be aware that while I personally show no preference towards a short or lengthy list, others very well might. The kind of material you use may or may not benefit from a certain length, and taking that into account is an especially important part of DI9.

2. You may use only ONE song from a particular artist. If a track is broken up into several movements, please contact me and an exception will be considered.

3. Every track selected MUST BE OFFICIALLY RELEASED BY THE ARTIST IN QUESTION. No demos or bootleg tracks are allowed in this competition, unless said demos have been collected in an officially sanctioned compilation release of some kind. One exception is that tracks released on official websites, Bandcamp, MySpace pages, etc. are allowed.

4. Tracks may not be edited or shortened in any way, unless there is a hidden track at the end. This does not apply to officially released radio/single edits.

5. Do not rely too heavily on material from compilation albums/soundtracks, as those are essentially playlists themselves. Nonetheless, be aware that they are allowed. Contact me if you intend to use multiple tracks from the same compilation.

6. If you have competed before, you MAY NOT use tracks from any previous standard DI entries. Mini DI tracks are fair game.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
Do not post your entries in this thread, as it is against forum rules to post officially released material on the forum itself. All entries for this competition should be sent to either of the following:

• My PM box
  • whp555444@yahoo.com

Here is what is required for your entry:

• Your track listing (see below for formatting details).
  • Links the music contained in your playlist. You may either zip your music and upload it to a site like mediafire, divshare, rapidshare, etc. OR if you can create your playlist on a streaming service such as Spotify, Grooveshark or YouTube, send me the public link to it. Be aware that Spotify and YouTube have advertisements that will affect the transitions on your list. I would personally prefer if you send me both, but one or the other is all that is required as long as either contains every track in the playlist.

Additionally, you may also send me a title for your playlist, as well as artwork and an explanatory paragraph of merciful length. These items are not required, but may be preferred for some participants.

FORMATTING
Please submit submissions using the following format EXACTLY:

Forum name: [Your Interference name here]

Playlist:

PLAYLIST TITLE (if you give it one)

Track #. Band Name - "Song Title" - Album Name (Time in Minutes:Seconds)
1. Please - "Follow This Format" - Thank You (20:15)
2. It Helps A Lot - "If You Follow This" - To The Letter (10:45)
3. Life Is Easier - "When People Do" - What Is Asked In The Rules (15:00)
4. Rules - "Are Not Hard" - To Follow (15:30)
5. Grammar, Punctuation, And Order - "Should Be Just Like They Are" - In This Example (7:15)
6. Thank You Very Much - "In Advance" - For Adhering To This Style! (43:20)

Total runtime: 112:05

DEADLINE
All submissions must be sent to me by June 18th at 11:59 PM CST. The master list containing all entries will be posted shortly thereafter in a separate thread. You do not have to send me all of your material at once; you may send me a track listing here or artwork there, but make sure that your links are sent to me by the deadline.

LISTENING AND DISCUSSION
The intention is to have 15 playlists in this competition. Those 15 entries will be split into 3 groups of 5 playlists each and those groups will have their own listening threads. Each listening thread will have two weeks dedicated to it before we move on to the next one. In those threads, feel free to do running diaries of the lists and discuss them at your leisure.

VOTING
After all of the playlists have been sent out for listening (2 weeks per thread x3 groups = approximately six weeks), a mass PM will be sent out asking all participants to rank the lists, based on the criteria of their choosing. DO NOT VOTE FOR YOUR OWN LIST. Presumably, that means there will be 14 participants per list. The playlists will be scored in accordance with their placement on the list, so the first place playlist will receive 14 points, second will receive 13 and so on. DO NOT FORGET TO SUBMIT YOUR RANKING WITHIN ONE WEEK OF THE MASS PM: ANYONE WHO DOES NOT SEND IN A RANKING WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE COMPETITION.

CONTESTANTS
The tournament will have 15 contestants with 2 slots available for alternates in case someone drops out. The slots will be filled on a first-come-first-serve basis. As mentioned above, the contestants will be broken up into 3 groups of 5 and the playlists will be staggered accordingly. Details on group creation will be given in the Master List thread.

The list of contestants is as follows:

1. LemonMelon
2. bono_212
3. namkcuR
4. Joey788
5. iron yuppie
6. cobl04
ALT 1.
ALT 2.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Count me in.

Are we still good with using more than one song by an artist in separate groups, such as Nine Inch Nails and Reznor's soundtrack work or Radiohead and Thom Yorke solo tracks?

Count me in as well. Are we uploading these, or is it going to be a Grooveshark/Spotify joint?

Count me in as well. Are we uploading these, or is it going to be a Grooveshark/Spotify joint?

SUBMISSION DETAILS
Do not post your entries in this thread, as it is against forum rules to post officially released material on the forum itself. All entries for this competition should be sent to either of the following:

My PM box
whp555444@yahoo.com

Here is what is required for your entry:

Your track listing (see below for formatting details).
Links the music contained in your playlist. You may either zip your music and upload it to a site like mediafire, divshare, rapidshare, etc. OR if you can create your playlist on a streaming service such as Spotify, Grooveshark or YouTube, send me the public link to it. Be aware that Spotify and YouTube have advertisements that will affect the transitions on your list. I would personally prefer if you send me both, but one or the other is all that is required as long as either contains every track in the playlist.

Additionally, you may also send me a title for your playlist, as well as artwork and an explanatory paragraph of merciful length. These items are not required, but may be preferred for some participants.

In short, I would like both.

1. LemonMelon
2. bono_212
3. namkcuR
4. Joey788
5. iron yuppie
6. cobl04
7. Padj
8. gump
ALT 1.
ALT 2.

Over half capacity in 90 minutes :up:

I can post my entire list on Grooveshark except for one track. :down: No George Harrison on there. I doubt Spotify is any less picky about Beatles material.

Missed this edit:

Are we still good with using more than one song by an artist in separate groups, such as Nine Inch Nails and Reznor's soundtrack work or Radiohead and Thom Yorke solo tracks?

Yes, that's absolutely fine.

I had totally forgotten about the "no songs from previous DI lists" rule. Now I have to find my previous playlist...

1. LemonMelon
2. bono_212
3. namkcuR
4. Joey788
5. iron yuppie
6. cobl04
7. Padj
8. gump
9. IWasBored
10. phanan
ALT 1.
ALT 2.

5 more 2 go

We should reserve a spot for a newbie, Lemonmirrorsky, think he was pretty keen!

Haha thanks, man. Yeah I'd like to participate. But I'm pretty sure you guys would've heard a lot (if not all) from my playlist. I'm not very up to date with the latest stuff especially indie releases. Is that fine? Or is this competition's main purpose to introduce new music to others? Of course, whether I participate or not, I hope I can download some of these lists anyway. I've been a bit out of touch with new music and would like to listen to some good recommendations.

I'm still in. I just can't stream any music, so I'd need actual downloads.

Haha thanks, man. Yeah I'd like to participate. But I'm pretty sure you guys would've heard a lot (if not all) from my playlist. I'm not very up to date with the latest stuff especially indie releases. Is that fine? Or is this competition's main purpose to introduce new music to others? Of course, whether I participate or not, I hope I can download some of these lists anyway. I've been a bit out of touch with new music and would like to listen to some good recommendations.

My tastes have been shaped by this forum, and my lists have probably been the most familiar to people (outside of some Aussie and club songs), so I don't think that will be a problem.

This will be a great way to listen to new music!

Oh heck alright I'm in. And who knows.. maybe there's some stuff in there some of you may not know. :p

I'm still a little torn between making a 60 to 80 min short playlist OR a 120 to 160 min one. Will decide very soon.

As I've indicated before, I'm not particularly keen on competing, but I'm willing to act as an alternate in case somebody drops out. I've got a little electropop mix that I could quickly cobble into a DI-acceptable format if anybody dropped out at a late date. I'm also still interested in keeping up with the tournament so send me the links and stuff.

But if you fill up the sign-up list and two more people want to compete, install them as the alts in lieu of me.

Back
Top Bottom