Dalton and NSW's Beijing Olympics Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YAHOO!!!! I'm so proud!!!

Israel just won its first medal!!!

Our windsurfer, Shachar Zuberi, took third place and got the bronze for Israel!

Mazal Tov!!!!

:applaud::up::heart::hug::D

israeli_flag-763127.jpg

I watched it too and I'm a huge gymnastics fan and have watched for years. There was nothing obviously better technically about Nastia's performance. I thought they were about even to be honest. Furthermore, technically Yang Yilin, the bronze medallist was better than both of them and if there is any room for complaint, it is here.

As a huge fan of gymnastics, I think it's not hard to know how much penalty is for legs parted wider than shoulder?

o9xx4.jpg

and what about this dismount? Parted legs, squat and unsteady landing?

o21dp4.gif

Believe me, the only reason why Liukin was there and can win the woman's all around medal, is because of her father.

Shall we just look at her trade mark twisted legs, and frog jump again?

o4cj7.gif

Just in case the gif isn't clear enough...

o8av8.jpg

When I say it's trade mark, it means she consistently doing it...

o5sm2.jpg

Now let's have a look how it should look like when done properly...

2132.jpg

953980015107325tg5.jpg

And not even need to mention her beam routine....Let's look at her another trade mark "Liukin jump"..

9539852_15107325.jpg

Looks pretty, right? But gymnastic is a sport, therefore "look pretty" isn't the standard. Let's look at how other do it...

img212279453gl5.jpg

Or the Russian version of it...

89529248xm4.jpg

Another angle

87572104ar2.jpg

Don't they just make the princess frog jump Liukin a big laugh?

Shawn Johnson is the only one that should qualify the gold medal for women's all-around gymnastic in Beijing, however, perfect skill and lovely smile couldn't beat with some one's shameless father, who has a strong net-working influence among the judges, and wanted to become the coach of the national team for the next term...

Wierdest name at the olympics gold medal final.

1. LOLO Jones (laughing out loud oh whoops she tripped over the hurdle, and the Aussie lass gets Silver!)
2. SHAWN Johnson (Man's name, with a gold medal rigged in her favour)
3. KAMIKAZE (Aussie BMXer who talks the talk but can;t walk the walk)

Are you under 16?

Because, well...I'll try and put this delicately...

So you believe it's just fine for people to lie and break the rules and cheat everyone else and those who lose to the liars and cheats are only 'whiners'? Gee what a great message to send to the young up and coming athletes of the world:huh:

Usain Bolt is simply incredible. His 200m was RIDICULOUS.

WOW!!

I don't see a difference between American 12 year olds competing in junior events and Chinese 12 year olds competing in the Olympics. The only difference is the level of competition.

The difference is, you're supposed to be 16 to be in the Olympics, and if you have your birth certificate falsified, you are there illegally and should not be able to compete, or be stripped of your medal.

The age limit isn't there primarily to restrict the pool of competitors, but to prevent gymnastics coaches and parents from engaging in child abuse.

I think the age limit is pretty dumb precisely because it's so unenforceable, but if any of the Chinese gymnasts are indeed under 16, you can't possibly argue that the other teams aren't being royally jobbed.

Exactly. I don't even agree with the age limits, Nadia was only 14, but the fact is since there is one, it's not fair to those who play by the rules when others don't. Every gymnast over 16 from EVERY country was hurt by the cheaters/liars.

Bolt!

Martina silver for the Netherlands Antilles, he's a top runner too....

Walter Dix, funny name, funny looking guy, good runner though. Gotta feel for Spearmon, finally been put of his false ecstasy into the misery of disqualifiaction, poor bugger.

The difference is, you're supposed to be 16 to be in the Olympics, and if you have your birth certificate falsified, you are there illegally and should not be able to compete, or be stripped of your medal.

It still sounds like sour grapes. You said "Look at those little kids, they make 5'2" Nastia look like a giant.". Nastia also towers over the 4'9" Shawn Johnson.

ntalwar, do you really not understand her point? Are you playing dense to piss her off or are you dense?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

"Sour grapes" is commonly used as are comments of 'whining' but that is for real losses, not cheating. I mean, come on, someone isn't qualified to be at the Olympics, they shouldn't be beating anyone because they shouldn't be there. They take medals away from dopers, the rules should apply to ALL. I am not even complaining just about Nastia or even just the US but everyone from all over the world who was shafted because of this injustice. For example, a very good Russian team was completely shut out of medals, but they had a lot of 4th-5th place finishes and would have placed better if not for the underage cheaters pushing them out.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

"Sour grapes" is commonly used as are comments of 'whining' but that is for real losses, not cheating. I mean, come on, someone isn't qualified to be at the Olympics, they shouldn't be beating anyone because they shouldn't be there. They take medals away from dopers, the rules should apply to ALL. I am not even complaining just about Nastia or even just the US but everyone from all over the world who was shafted because of this injustice. For example, a very good Russian team was completely shut out of medals, but they had a lot of 4th-5th place finishes and would have placed better if not for the underage cheaters pushing them out.

To be fair Ann, you haven't changed, extrapolated or nuanced your argument since the first time you posted it. Sure, the other poster is winding you up, but giving your opinion more forcefully rarely changes other people's minds.

That's why I use Jedi mind tricks and the power of seduction. I gets minez.

The Russian team has nobody to blame but themselves because they way underperformed. The Romanians were only alright when they got the team bronze - it was the Russians that opened the door with mistake after mistake after mistake.

I think we shouldn't have an age restriction in gymnastics simply because there are countries that will cheat (frankly, China isn't the only one here, all the Eastern bloc countries have a long and illustrious history of various things). Furthermore, the diving restriction is 14, and if you are going to impose an age restriction in gymnastics, then there is no reason for it to be any higher than 14 either.

I do think though that while a younger age helps with flexibility and fearlessness, there is something to be said for experience on an international stage as well. People are acting as if that brings absolutely no benefit, which is wrong. The Chinese women/girls are particularly inconsistent and they always have been. This is not because of the weakness of their program, as it is very similar to the men's. It's because they have by far the least amount of experience of any team in international and major competitions. They hardly put these girls on the circuit at all. It is therefore unsurprising to see so many of them falter during the games. So don't discount experience, it absolutely matters.

To be fair Ann, you haven't changed, extrapolated or nuanced your argument since the first time you posted it. Sure, the other poster is winding you up, but giving your opinion more forcefully rarely changes other people's minds.

That's why I use Jedi mind tricks and the power of seduction. I gets minez.

Well I thought posting all those news articles from experts would be enough, especially since the Associated press found proof of their old birth certificates. Feel free to use any method you think might help, I do admire your work!

Shawn Johnson is the only one that should qualify the gold medal for women's all-around gymnastic in Beijing, however, perfect skill and lovely smile couldn't beat with some one's shameless father, who has a strong net-working influence among the judges, and wanted to become the coach of the national team for the next term...

Have you any evidence for this claim? Alleging incompetence is one thing. Alleging conspiracy is another.

On the eve of his 22nd birthday, one full of historic hyperbole, Bolt won by the biggest margin since the 200 came on the Olympic scene 108 years ago. In a sport dominated by hundreds of seconds, he beat the field by two-thirds of a second.

Amazing. Performance of these games, IMO.

am excited to watch Bolt tonight. :up:

me too! :hyper:

k, so i am watching synchronized swimming for the first time. really? this is in the olympics. huh. and get this...the commentator just called this one pair of swimmers a "phelpsian" duet. :lmao:

Japan+Open+Synchronized+Swimming+Championships+40mO5MjdRVul.jpg

=

20080817wp_phelps_swim2_500.jpg

?

Well to be fair, I'd drown a lot faster attempting the synchro moves than any of the swimming events. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom