Desert Island XI - Results, Aftermath and Playlist Exchange Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm quite happy with 3rd place! Thought it would be more divisive than that but I think iYup's beat me on that having so many number ones but finishing further down the ranking.

Apologies for not getting to round to writing my thoughts on the last few. I was trying to re-listen to everything as it ended up being so long since I originally listened to them in order to get my thoughts down.

But just to say I thought iYups was pretty awesome, I guess it felt closest to my own tastes and was a great mood piece as well. While Joey's finally made me check out more of Porcupine Tree which I had long ignored even though there are some big fans of them here! I think I tried before and just didn't gel with them but this time around...maybe a sign of greater maturity.

The Tourists I just loved and was an early favourite that just managed to stick in my head. It's so good to stick on in the lovely weather we have generally been having and Gump's I think was just a perfect execution of what he set out to do while remaining highly enjoyable. Cobbler's second electronic half was brilliant and I would really like to hear a list by yourself that went all in on that.

My top 5 was heavily biased to my own group, but again I think there was a great collection of playlists that just tapped heavily into my general taste.

The stats were great so thanks LN7!

Here's to next time:up: I already have a few ideas.
It was very cool how broadly well liked your list was despite being quite challenging. You nearly took second place with a list that started with a Haitian funeral march and maintained that mood throughout. I definitely thought your list was one of the strongest in terms of execution, so I'm glad you nabbed top 3.

I believe that’s a trifecta now, right?
Yeah, you're going to need to come in and defend the throne next time:

Phanan - 4 wins (III, IV, IX, Retro Island)
LemonMelon - 3 wins (V, VII, XI)
LMP - 3 wins (I, II, Best of 2000s)
Screwtape2 - 1 win (VIII)
Mr. V - 1 win (VI)
bono_212 - 1 win (X)
GibsonGirl - 1 win (Prog Island)
phillyfan26/Jerry Dunk - 1 win (Symphonic)
cobl04 - 1 win (Mini Island)

Last edited:
Here's a question: what reactions to your list surprised you?

There were a couple of songs on mine that I expected would elicit strong reactions, and they did not. I thought that "He Is Not" by Gold would be one of the highlights of the list, a consensus favourite, but it went almost ignored. The only review that I recall mentioning it was negative. I also thought a lot of you would consider "I'm Not Saying" by Purple Pilgrims to stick out as most unlike me, a retro throwback sonically (if not in date of release). But perhaps that effect was watered down by the fact that it's been so long between lists, the whole thing was a solid divergence from my past prog/metal/Kiwi jangle lists.

I also overrated the popularity of The Hundred in the Hands. I had the perception that they were known well for their debut of indie electropop bangers, and that people might be surprised to encounter something from their far more atmospheric and sprawling second album (although admittedly I chose one of the more direct tracks). I don't recall any responses along the lines of "oh these guys" or "so this is what happened to them". Anyway, Red Night fucking owns, it's such a good album and you should listen to it.

Hmm I think for sure the lack of love for Desire by Ought really shocked me. I thought that would be the freshest thing on my list.

A lot of things surprised me about mine. I really thought it would finish last, largely because I went all-in on a mood that is very particular to my tastes and did it in a way that deliberately eschewed a lot of the acts that are shared favorites on the forum. Beach House and Radiohead, for example, would have fit just fine, but I aimed to keep my usual suspects off the list. Probably Tim Hecker is the only artist on the list that I talk about a lot in B&C. Plus a lot of the genre choices aren't exactly accessible, especially with the avant jazz and drone toward the end. I thought I might have a chance with Gump and LM because they have talked about being jazz fans, and Laz if he had stuck around. I'm thrilled I had multiple high rankings. I must also have had multiple people rate it last, and I totally get why they would make that ranking. :lol:

A lot of things surprised me about mine. I really thought it would finish last, largely because I went all-in on a mood that is very particular to my tastes and did it in a way that deliberately eschewed a lot of the acts that are shared favorites on the forum.

It seems you and I both did well simply by making something entirely for ourselves. I just put together what I was passionate about at the start of the pandemic, arranged to articulate my mood. If I made the list right now, it would be different simply because some new (or new-to-me) releases have hooked me in the intervening couple of months, and because my mood has worsened as my future employment prospects decline amid the Australian government waging a culture war on our universities. There was a short metal/punk section that I took out of my list because I felt it interrupted the flow more than it added to my own enjoyment, while right now that section would be a larger cathartic centrepiece.

There were a couple of songs on mine that I expected would elicit strong reactions, and they did not. I thought that "He Is Not" by Gold would be one of the highlights of the list, a consensus favourite, but it went almost ignored. The only review that I recall mentioning it was negative. I also thought a lot of you would consider "I'm Not Saying" by Purple Pilgrims to stick out as most unlike me, a retro throwback sonically (if not in date of release). But perhaps that effect was watered down by the fact that it's been so long between lists, the whole thing was a solid divergence from my past prog/metal/Kiwi jangle lists.

I also overrated the popularity of The Hundred in the Hands. I had the perception that they were known well for their debut of indie electropop bangers, and that people might be surprised to encounter something from their far more atmospheric and sprawling second album (although admittedly I chose one of the more direct tracks). I don't recall any responses along the lines of "oh these guys" or "so this is what happened to them". Anyway, Red Night fucking owns, it's such a good album and you should listen to it.

i was very pleasantly surprised at how much people liked the joel plaskett and slade songs on my playlist. those are two highly underrated gems that i'm always happy to see peoples' reactions to.

Honestly most of the reactions to my list didn’t surprise me at all. I figured since I intentionally went so upbeat, in direct contrast to the world right now, that it would be met coldly. And for the most part, I was right on that.

I was surprised by all the positive toward Ricochet by Strange Names, and surprised by the general lack of reaction toward Canoe by Small Black. Maybe I’m misremembering, but if so it’s only because Canoe is probably my favorite recent discovery in general. But I was not surprised by the reactions to Beware The Dog or French Girls.

Honestly most of the reactions to my list didn’t surprise me at all. I figured since I intentionally went so upbeat, in direct contrast to the world right now, that it would be met coldly. And for the most part, I was right on that.

I was surprised by all the positive toward Ricochet by Strange Names, and surprised by the general lack of reaction toward Canoe by Small Black. Maybe I’m misremembering, but if so it’s only because Canoe is probably my favorite recent discovery in general. But I was not surprised by the reactions to Beware The Dog or French Girls.

I loved it ??*♂️

Only real problem is I knew literally all of it. That’s not a bad reason to not get first place praise.

I was surprised to get nearly no negativity towards Time by Pachanga Boys, and its pairing with Innerbloom. A couple of "not my thing"s but I was expecting some visceral negativity towards that part for its length.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Ax enjoying my second half, although not as pleasantly surprised by the time he said he really enjoyed Real Niggaz Don't Die by NWA.

and surprised by the general lack of reaction toward Canoe by Small Black. Maybe I’m misremembering, but if so it’s only because Canoe is probably my favorite recent discovery in general.

That one was a mild nostalgia trip for me, and a welcome one. :up:

I was also pleasantly surprised by Ax enjoying my second half, although not as pleasantly surprised by the time he said he really enjoyed Real Niggaz Don't Die by NWA.

:lol:

Revisited that a few times lately, for obvious reasons. Still good.

I was surprised that NO ONE liked Slide by Calvin Harris. Thought I kneecapped my own list. [emoji23]

Everyone having positive responses to Superbike by Jay Som was a very nice surprise.

My biggest disappointment with this competition was that Laz never commented on my list. A bunch of the tracks I specifically picked with him in mind.

Oh also, was surprised that the J. Views song was seemingly unknown by most or all, and surprised it went over so well. I mean, I love it obviously...

Woah. You knew my whole list? That’s incredible.

Well from a quick glance, I didn’t know:
Moody Bear
Marble Arch
Deep Sea River
Scuba Dvala

And I’m sure another 5-6 of the other songs were “I know the band/album but only 2 or 3 songs.” But a lot of the list was like my college stuff. By far the most familiar list to me, which I suppose means a lot because I don’t know a lot of music, even though my listening history goes off into some very specific allies.

Hey, LM, you called this thread a playlist exchange, but since over 100 posts have focused on the DI tournament, would you be happy if I started a new thread dedicated to sharing any playlists we might make? If people started posting new playlists in here now, it would be hard for someone to find where it starts if any discussion really gets going.

If you're cool with that, I might make the thread tonight. I've a list I'd like to share, and it could be a fun way to exchange music and gauge interest down the track for another DI.

Whatever you guys choose to do, just make sure to link to it in this thread so if someone comes here to post a playlist, they know where it's supposed to go. On a site with very limited traffic, consolidating threads is a good idea.

It was mentioned in the Random Thread, so I figured I'd give this a bump. What's the interest level in a mini DI? Anyone want to share that we might do this with some of the inactive crew? I would but I'm only really in contact with interference people through interference.

Is there going to be a theme? In the old days when we used to do mini-DIs, we always had a theme that everyone would adhere to. Is it going to be like that, or everyone just does their own thing like regular DI?

Is there going to be a theme? In the old days when we used to do mini-DIs, we always had a theme that everyone would adhere to. Is it going to be like that, or everyone just does their own thing like regular DI?
I know Tourist and I already have drafts of lists completed, so personally I would rather go without themes this time. Plus, debating over themes at this point takes time away from finding music and putting things together. That's just my take.

Maybe the theme could be that every list has a theme? [emoji23] I know mine does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom