2011 Tour Rumours/Discussion Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have U2 ever had trouble selling tickets for their Japanese shows?

Haven't other groups done well Singapore, Kuala Lampur and South Korea? I don't think Hong Kong has a big enough stadium.

Yes, but all those bands didn't perform in stadiums.;)

I own an extensive U2 tour documentary that states that the band wasn't able to fill up the Tokyo Dome and the Osaka Dome in the past.

And someone on Interference mentioned earlier that the band initially couldn't sell out Nissan Stadium on Vertigo prior to the final leg postponement.:shrug:

After doing some internet research, I've developed my own analysis on the possibilities of U2 360 visiting Asia.

Japan: If it's during the summer of 2011, finding an appropriate stadium shouldn't be a problem. Japan has tons of big stadiums- including Nissan Stadium in Yokohama and Ajinomoto Stadium in Tokyo. Both stadiums have hosted concerts. Otherwise, I don't think the Claw would fit inside the Tokyo Dome or the Osaka Dome.

File:Tokyo Dome 2007-2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.japanesebaseballstadiums.com/stadiums/images/OsakaInside.JPG

Mainland China: I don't get the whole argument about U2 not being able to play in China due to 'political reasons'. The Stones and Guns N' Roses have performed in China. Anyway, if U2 360 China were to happen, the Bird's Nest in Beijing and Shanghai Stadium in Shanghai would be on the radar screen.

South Korea: Seoul hasn't hosted stadium-sized concerts by Western artists in a LONG time. The only large-scale concerts in South Korea these days are put on by Asian pop singers. These concerts would usually take place at Seoul's Olympic Stadium, the World Cup Stadium, or Jamsil Baseball Stadium.

Hong Kong: HK is a growing market for Western artists. As U2FanPeter mentioned, HK has only one stadium. But hasn't been used yet for a huge concert by a Western artist. Contrary to what is believed, current Asian pop singers would do concerts at that stadium- albeit infrequently.

Cheer Chen’s full house in Hong Kong | Stareastasia

An outdoor U2 gig wouldn't go over well with HK Island residents, who often complain about noise coming from that stadium.

I should mention that a vacant lot now exists where the now-demolished Kai Tak Airport (north from HK Island) used to sit. Maybe U2 could build their own stadium and do a show there (a la Montreal).
scratchchin.gif

Singapore: Well, Singapore is out. As coolian mentioned, its National Stadium is now demolished. The new National Stadium won't be ready until 2014.

Singapore Sports Hub - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unless U2 and Willie are willing to let the Claw float.:lol:

Kuala Lumpur: Well, U2 have already gone to Turkey, another mostly Islamic country. Of course, the Istanbul show didn't have a high turnout. Why produce the same results?

Indonesia: Ditto. Even though Iron Maiden will be touring there.

Taiwan: No stadium big enough on this tiny island.

Philippines: Ditto. Unless U2 is willing to build their own stadium again at Manila's Fort Bonifacio, which has been used as an open-air concert venue.

India: I don't see U2 traveling all the way out to the middle of the continent of Asia to do one show. Besides, most stadiums in India are circular cricket stadiums that would be of the wrong configuration for the Claw.

It's been said on Interference that the possibilities of U2 going to Asia (outside of Japan) depends on two things: (1) finding suitable venues and (2) whether or not the native populations would be interested. I'm sure the band and LN would want to be quite cautious so as to prevent another major Moscow-like non-sellout.

Just my thoughts.:reject::wink:

Feel free to read my back posts via my profile.

I've been here a decade on and off and I've never received feedback that I'm a negative influence here. Throwing curveballs is part of my posting style.

I've never seen you as especially argumentative, particularly in comparions to the posters I would actually consider argumentative.

India: I don't see U2 traveling all the way out to the middle of the continent of Asia to do one show. Besides, most stadiums in India are circular cricket stadiums that would be of the wrong configuration for the Claw.

2 of the 4 Australian venues this tour were cricket stadiums.

Well, I'm not sure Subiaco has been used for cricket, but Aussie Rules and cricket use the same size field. Hell, Subi may have a larger field than any of the Indian cricket stadiums - it's fucking huuuge.

Japan: If it's during the summer of 2011, finding an appropriate stadium shouldn't be a problem. Japan has tons of big stadiums- including Nissan Stadium in Yokohama and Ajinomoto Stadium in Tokyo. Both stadiums have hosted concerts. Otherwise, I don't think the Claw would fit inside the Tokyo Dome or the Osaka Dome.

Tokyo Dome should be just fine for the Claw compared to other venues with low ceilings like BC Place in Vancouver.
U2, BC Place Canada 10/28/09 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
File:Tokyo Dome 2007-2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tokyo Dome - panorama | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Osaka Dome and roof is HUUUGE. Not how the roof can go up and down to allow sunlight.
Osaka Dome 2003觀戰 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Osaka Dome 2003觀戰 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Inside Osaka Dome | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Either way the acoustics in both venues should be leave a lot to be desired.

Mainland China: I don't get the whole argument about U2 not being able to play in China due to 'political reasons'. The Stones and Guns N' Roses have performed in China. Anyway, if U2 360 China were to happen, the Bird's Nest in Beijing and Shanghai Stadium in Shanghai would be on the radar screen.

Let's say both U2 and China want the HK or Bird's nest show to happen. Would the band be asked to remove the Tutu speach, Walk On and maybe one or two others? All setlists have to be approved in advance by the Government, not sure if it's "deposit" dependant.

Stones had Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Let's Spend the Night Together and Rough Justice deemed unacceptable before the show and the band consented. Humourously, the "dead man come" line in Satisfaction was OK.

South Korea: Seoul hasn't hosted stadium-sized concerts by Western artists in a LONG time. The only large-scale concerts in South Korea these days are put on by Asian pop singers. These concerts would usually take place at Seoul's Olympic Stadium, the World Cup Stadium, or Jamsil Baseball Stadium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Stadium_(Seoul)

The Olympic Stadium has been occasionally used to host concerts, notable examples being Bon Jovi, Roger Waters, Michael Jackson, Pussycat Dolls, Backstreet Boys, Linkin Park, Metallica, Tommy Lee, Celine Dion, Nine Inch Nails, and Limp Bizkit.

Kuala Lumpur: Well, U2 have already gone to Turkey, another mostly Islamic country. Of course, the Istanbul show didn't have a high turnout. Why produce the same results?

Wouldn't U2/Live Nation be happy with the result from Turkey/Russia? KL has some very deep pockets.

India: I don't see U2 traveling all the way out to the middle of the continent of Asia to do one show.

If they do Europe in the 2nd half of 2011, then India is on the way to Asia. Would the claws travel by boat from Europe (to India) to Asia?

I don't think U2 will perform in any of those countries, except Japan. I just don't think they will sell enough tickets there to warrant the cost of the Claw. They will have already done their "exotic" shows (Moscow, Istanbul, South Africa, Pittsburgh), all of which did not sell out.

If U2 get back to basics next time, maybe that will enable them to travel further afield.

I don't think U2 will perform in any of those countries, except Japan. I just don't think they will sell enough tickets there to warrant the cost of the Claw. They will have already done their "exotic" shows (Moscow, Istanbul, South Africa), all of which did not sell out.

McGuinness said "Asia" and not "Japan" or a specific city.

Didn't both South Africa shows sell out? Moscow and Instanbul sold more tickets than sold out stadiums in North American and Europe. Pittsburgh isn't exotic for u2 or other acts - Zeppelin played a stadium there nearly 4 decades ago.

U2 wanted to get to Singapore and Cairo in 1997. U2 could add at least 20 million to their world wide tally. Their breakeven point on shows is probably around the 20,000 range depending on which price ranges sell. How do other acts make money but U2 can't?

McGuinness said "Asia" and not "Japan" or a specific city.

Didn't both South Africa shows sell out? Moscow and Instanbul sold more tickets than sold out stadiums in North American and Europe. Pittsburgh isn't exotic for u2 or other acts - Zeppelin played a stadium there nearly 4 decades ago.

U2 wanted to get to Singapore and Cairo in 1997. U2 could add at least 20 million to their world wide tally. Their breakeven point on shows is probably around the 20,000 range depending on which price ranges sell. How do other acts make money but U2 can't?

Yes, I was the one who posted that quote from McGuinness a few pages back, but he might be generalizing about "Asia".

Both SA shows have pairs of good tickets available:

Computicket - the Ticket you can Trust - u2 360 tour

The Pittsburgh remark was a joke.

If U2 think it's worthwhile playing in front of 20-30,000 fans per night throughout Asia, maybe they'll consider it. Based on their history, however, I don't think they'll do it. Hope I'm wrong, of course!

Both South AFrica shows have pairs of good tickets available:

Computicket - the Ticket you can Trust - u2 360 tour

If U2 think it's worthwhile playing in front of 20-30,000 fans per night throughout Asia, maybe they'll consider it. Based on their history, however, I don't think they'll do it. Hope I'm wrong, of course!

It does sound like South Africa had brisk sales. Reviews on the u2.com concert pages have people saying they were shut out for initial sales. Blocks of tickets were added later along with the usual holdbacks.

My point is that if the CLAWs presumably come from Europe through Suez Canal and past India/Malaysia via boat why would shows be completely out of the question compared to the South Africa shows? I think they can do upwards of 200,000 outside Japan.

My point is that if the CLAWs presumably come from Europe through Suez Canal and past India/Malaysia via boat why would shows be completely out of the question compared to the South Africa shows? I think they can do upwards of 200,000 outside Japan.

Right, that's assuming the Claw comes from Europe in the first place...

How many shows would they have to play to hit that 200,000 outside Japan number? At $1 million per week to keep the Claw on the road, they would have to perform a number of back-to-back shows to make touring in India, etc. feasible, I would think. Not sure how many wealthy U2 fans there are in Mumbai and Kuala Lumpur. Perhaps transportation in the region is cheaper, however, making the logistical costs lower overall.

How many shows would they have to play to hit that 200,000 outside Japan number? At $1 million per week to keep the Claw on the road, they would have to perform a number of back-to-back shows to make touring in India, etc. feasible, I would think. Not sure how many wealthy U2 fans there are in Mumbai and Kuala Lumpur. Perhaps transportation in the region is cheaper, however, making the logistical costs lower overall.

I think the $1mil is 3 claws working at the same time plus land travel gas along with the stage building crew. Less active crew, boat travel and only 2 claws is cheaper.

There's wealthy people in both places that have paid for shows. The question is whether they are U2 fans plus if cheap nosebleed tickets would help fill a 100,000 stadium there. Tough to figure if MJ in 1996 can be compared to u2 in 2011. Also of note is that the Stones travelled with reduced staging outside US/Euro on some of those far flung international date tours.

Another thing I don't know is how leapfrogging stages, CLAW set ups along would boat travel would work around the Pacific Rim. I think U2 did OK in 2006 between Oz/Japan/Hawaii. I think the Vertigo leapfrogging scaffolding still took several days to set up.

So you think the last 3 cities on the 360 tour will be Minneapolis, Pittsburgh and 1-2 japanese city like Tokyo or Osaka? If in August U2 could play their first ever outdoor show in Japan - not sure of any western artist doing a non-festival show outdoors, since all big names play T-Dome.

The Europe 2011 rumours seem to have gone quiet. Weird when European festivals are announcing headliners and the fight for fans concert dollar with early ticket sales has already begun.

Paul McGuinness told to A Japanese woman living in Perth that there'll be no shows in Japan.

her blog;Venus World : U2のコンサート (written in Japanese)

She attend U2 shows in Perth with her friend who's a Irish guy and McGuinness's close friend.
After show,she met McGuinness in backstage and ask him possiblity about U2 360 visiting Japan.
He said I'm sorry that there'll be no shows in Japan because of lack of venues to fit The Claw in.
He didn't mention about other countries in Asia.

OMG!!

If U2/LN thought there was potential to make a shitload of money/play to a shitload of people in Asia, they would find a way. There are plenty of stadiums in Japan U2's stage could fit in, they just couldn't draw enough people to make a decent profit, especially when Japan is that far away from everything.

If I were U2/LN I'd find a way to modify the 360 tour to fit in arenas, and play Asia. Not only to please the fans in Asia, but to get those dollars added to the overall gross.

The Europe 2011 rumours seem to have gone quiet. Weird when European festivals are announcing headliners and the fight for fans concert dollar with early ticket sales has already begun.

Yes, one might think the European rumors would be getting stronger at this point. I can see U2 doing a couple of dates in Ireland/UK, but not much beyond there, maybe something in Holland or France again.

If U2/LN thought there was potential to make a shitload of money/play to a shitload of people in Asia, they would find a way.

Right, where there's a will....

I just wonder about weather concerns and scheduling conflicts with local sports teams. The main monsoon season in India runs from June to September, so playing there after the end of September seems like the only option.

Perhaps they'll knock out 8-10 smaller shows in October throughout Asia, not including Japan and mainland China (thus, probably eliminating South Korea, as well). I might travel to Hong Kong to see them play on that floating bit of wood.

Paul McGuinness told to A Japanese woman living in Perth that there'll be no shows in Japan.

her blog;Venus World : U2のコンサート (written in Japanese)

She attend U2 shows in Perth with her friend who's a Irish guy and McGuinness's close friend.
After show,she met McGuinness in backstage and ask him possiblity about U2 360 visiting Japan.
He said I'm sorry that there'll be no shows in Japan because of lack of venues to fit The Claw in.
He didn't mention about other countries in Asia.

OMG!!

DSC00258 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
This is the bigger bang stage in the Tokyo Dome. Willie Williams bragged that the CLAW could fit over it. The 360 spire mirror ball would be a snug fit.

File:Toyota sta 0313 2.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Inside of Toyota Stadium with retractable roof closed

File:Sapporo Dome 001.jpeg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Inside of Sapporo Dome

Madonna played an outdoor Japanese stadium in April 1990 featured in the truth or Dare movie that got drenched in rain. Some Fuji Rock Festival sets in late July have heavy rain.

I think that Toyota Stadium mentioned above has the height requirement to host The Claw. The problem is that it's not in a major city, but it's near the major city of Nagoya.

Tokyo Dome? I'm not sure. Unless they go a-la Dallas.

So is it theoretically possible that the final 360 Tour shows have already been announced?

Maybe Santiago and Sao Paulo #3 were the last ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom