Glasgow Setlist Party Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pepokiss said:
was the edge on fire?

He was immense, his guitar soaring over hampden during the Fly was like listening to Achtung Baby on the biggest speakers in the world. The whole band was on fire....peaking during the middle section of Still Havent Found, Wild Horses..not one of my favourites but live was simply stunning, then city of blinding lights.

Atmosphere was electric especially during where the streets have no name, hampden was rockin..sunday bloody sunday was bouncin too.

Vertigo 2 works sends you home elevated and thirsty for more.

As for the static setlists, i hoped for bad or all i want is you, but wouldn't swap a half hearted mistake ridden rendition for a sublime Wild Horses. What you read as another same old setist does not do the night justice 20+ songs delivered to perfection.

Joyful night and the crowd loved it.

WASTID said:
Wild Horses intro.......yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
and what a nailed on rendition as well. Bono sayng at the end "only the 2nd time we played it in full live so hope we did it okay"... fukin right it was okay Bono. outstanding would of been a better description tho.

I love this song, it sounded perfect in Boston also. Hope they keep it in the set.

I wonder if Bono is the person feeding the facts to u2.com?

Zoomerang96 said:
oh, so you guyses were talking about me i guess?

:hug:

"don't let the bastards grind you down"

lame.

look, i'm glad you had a good time, seriously. but to consistantly play the same song twice in the same show is ridiculous, ESPECIALLY when you have a catalogue as big and grand as u2's.

and four times in two shows in the same city? you can't 7ustify that. not when people pay big money to see them, that's not right.

and don't tell me bad, until the end of the world, mofo or please wouldn't have kicked ass twice as hard as vertigo x2?

Never ceases to amaze me how people can deliver a show verdict when they haven't seen it. No doubt there were other songs not played that people would have preferred, but that's always going to be the case.

As Bono said, they are citing opera when an encore would mean just that, the performance of one song (if not the opening) song from a concert. There's a reason behind it and even tho people like yourself don't agree with it, the reason is valid in the eyes of the band.

Jesus, all the band are doing is trying something new...creating a buzz at the end of a show rather than letting it end on a soft note. They know Vertigo gets a great crowd reaction, so they play it again...big deal. Old arguement, boring arguement, move the hell on for God's sake.

Be assured that if U2 had delivered a poor show in terms of performance, I would be telling you and everyone that they did. To call a STUNNING 23 song show lame based on ONE song being repeated, is to use your own word, "lame"! Especially when you weren't there mate!

Interesting that despite you saying you're glad we had a good time, you're still rubbishing the show despite positive comments being posted here. I find it rather sad that you feel you have to step all over us like that.

ABLE said:

He was immense, his guitar soaring over hampden during the Fly was like listening to Achtung Baby on the biggest speakers in the world. The whole band was on fire....peaking during the middle section of Still Havent Found, Wild Horses..not one of my favourites but live was simply stunning, then city of blinding lights.

LOL They were on fire alright, especially the "playful" Bono and Edge. Did anyone else notice the jab on the chin Bono got from Edge, as he danced around behind him? Edge was chuckling to himself for a minute afterwards as we watched the video screens. Hilarious!

Hampden last night was miles better than Twickenham on Saturday even though I was in a worse spot. The atmosphere was excellant thanks to the Irish and Celtic fans that were there. I reckon Glasgow is the next best thing to seeing them at home. The band were definately more into it last night. They played 3 songs that I didn't get on Saturday which was great.

ascender_RS said:
I've downloaded some pics from my phone from last night and put them online. Not the best, but you get the idea:

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=300

Niiiice!! You must have been in front and to the right of me in the Bomb Shelter. You had a great view of the boys on the catwalk!

I've opened a photobucket account and am editing the pics from my digicam right now. I've got some from my mobile too that I'll also post later today I hope.

Here's a link to the Daily Record's comments on the show, including a phone number to call if someone here is the lucky lady Bono pulled from the crowd durint WOWY.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk

I also noticed the elbow the Bono's jaw by The Edge and I couldn't stop laughing when I saw how The Edge was laughing.

It was also a really funny moment when Miracle Drug started and he said "3 notes...........*listening again*......4 notes."

Btw, the show didn't start to until around 20:50...what was the problem? Was there a problem? Or was there just no curfew in Glasgow?

The Edge was on fire definitely. I mean it was all fantastic for him and it just hit sky high when he came out for Zoo Station right infront of me, then into The Fly. Amazing.

There was a fair bit of banter between them all last night, was good to see.

BRMC started a wee bit late as they were having some equipment probs, but I guess there wasn't a curfew so there was no rush.

Yeah Bono's "Just 3 notes (counts fingers) no, 4 notes" thing was funny and he was laughing away at it too.

Dunno if there was a problem or not, but I noticed that Dallas came back out testing one of Edge's guitars, after it looked like the crew left the stage and were finished.

Probably just making sure everything was perfect for us :wink:

Should also say that Black Rebel Motorcycle Club were a great opening act too. The vocalists' audio mix needed a little tweeking, but great all the same!

Hi Steve, yip, I'm so happy to have got into the bomb shelter, it just totally made the gig for me. My mates just couldn't believe how close they got to the band and it made them glad they'd taken the time off work and queued with me for a while.

Up until last night my best gig was the SECC Zoo TV one, but I'm starting to think last night might have even eclipsed that. What really surprised me was just how relaxed they seem to be and they just clicked in a way I've never seen before. They seem to be enjoying themselves on a whole new level and some of the arrangements for the songs are amazing. The bootlegs I've listened to so far just don't capture that, but maybe I'll listen to them now in a different light.

Brilliant ascender, so glad you and your mates made it.

Me, my sister and my brother-in-law just chanced our arm, asked security if there was any chance and they sent us around to the left-hand entrance. They said they were shutting it down in 5-10 minutes, so were really, really lucky to get in.

You're spot on too, the band were so relaxed and obviously having fun with it all. Just four mates who happen to be mega-stars, playing their music for a 50,000 thousand of their closest friends...at least that's what it felt like ;)

I really didn't enjoy both opening acts. Maybe another time I would have...but because of the intense heat and the fact I had four hours to stand on the same spot between when I got there and U2 hit the stage.
I just really wasn't interested in the opening acts, and I was kind of disappointed overall with Interpol. The crowd didn't seem to be into them either.

I did, and have always like Spread Your Love by BRMC and the bassline is really nice. I thought it was pretty funny a couple of songs before that though, when the bassist broke the thickest string (i think) on his bass. I didn't think that was possible.

Your talking about luck steve? I was at the show with my two cousins who were seating. When we got there they noticed their seats were covered in the black curtain - or whatever. So they got sent down to GA and ended up right next to me inside the barrier (note: I said last night I think that I got in the bomb shelter but I meant to say barrier) roughly 5th row from the walkway.

Crazy stuff.

jackbauer said:
I really didn't enjoy both opening acts. Maybe another time I would have...but because of the intense heat and the fact I had four hours to stand on the same spot between when I got there and U2 hit the stage.
I just really wasn't interested in the opening acts, and I was kind of disappointed overall with Interpol. The crowd didn't seem to be into them either.

I did, and have always like Spread Your Love by BRMC and the bassline is really nice. I thought it was pretty funny a couple of songs before that though, when the bassist broke the thickest string (i think) on his bass. I didn't think that was possible.

Your talking about luck steve? I was at the show with my two cousins who were seating. When we got there they noticed their seats were covered in the black curtain - or whatever. So they got sent down to GA and ended up right next to me inside the barrier (note: I said last night I think that I got in the bomb shelter but I meant to say barrier) roughly 5th row from the walkway.

Crazy stuff.

Yeah I agree about Interpol, who (while not a bad band) weren't anything special. Having said that, it's a U2 crowd and that must be a tough thing for any band to overcome. I actually thought they sounded like The Smiths more than once during their performance.

And yeah I did notice the BRMC bassist busting a string...jeez he must be a killer at arm-wrestling LOL. Either that or they haven't changed the strings in a few years. I couldn't even pluck the bass strings when I tried to learn, never mind actually being strong enough to break them!

Er..I also made the same mistake..I was inside the barrier NOT the bomb shelter. Heh heh heh, I got a bit carried away there I think. I saw that black curtain you mentioned actually and thought that looked a litle weird...tho glad it worked out for your cousins!

Whatever happened to my rock and roll - awesome song for BRMC to end on! :drool:

It was easy for those outside the barriers to get inside because they used hand stamps instead of wristbands.

Just get someone from the inside you know to come out, lick your hand and hold it onto theirs tightly for a minute or so.

Worked a treat.....or i'd imagine it would do so!:wink:

The Maestro said:
It was easy for those outside the barriers to get inside because they used hand stamps instead of wristbands.

Just get someone from the inside you know to come out, lick your hand and hold it onto theirs tightly for a minute or so.

Worked a treat.....or i'd imagine it would do so!:wink:

It certainly did for the guy behind me who went out to bring in a friend!

stevec said:

Well why don't you just email the band you're personal request for a fucking setlist then? Seems like the only way some people will ever be happy.

Don't try to bring me down with your sarcasm and don't suggest that my show was shit because you don't like Vertigo twice. I was there, I loved it, I'm happy...end of fucking story.

A bit late I know BUT, well said stevec!!!

Why the fuck do some of you guys bitch so much about the setlists when you're not even at the fucking concerts???:shrug: It's tedious!

I was there to (in the bomb shelter) and the whole concert was ROCKIN'!!!!

Great photos Steve & Jimali!

On more than one of my trips out of the pit to get juice (man it was hot) there were guys trying to get back in who had obviously tried to copy the stamp by whatever method. The guys on the gates were turning them away left right and centre but I'm sure more than a few slipped through.

Didn't know where to post it... But goodbye all! Going to bed now, only to get up very early in the morning to go to DUBLIN...

I have started feeling shivers all over my body... I don't know what to do... I expect so much of these guys... how can they ever fulfill my expectations?
I can't wait for this. My first ever U2 show and it's happening in Ireland. Oh my.

Thanks for the pictures everyone... I wish you a good setlist part and I hope they play Wild Horses!

You're all very welcome for the photos. As I've "met" a lot of nice folks here at interference, I really wanted to make the effort to get some good pics for everyone.

I'm delighted I was lucky enough to get that close to the band!!

Back
Top Bottom