You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GYBO is grades above "elevation"

I wonder how that guitar feedback will segue into the next song

Yeah, after listening to the 5th time...the only part I like is:

"Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, sound
Let me in the sound, sound
Meet me in the sound"

Awesome :drool:

The rest...I just can't get over "Sexy Boots"...I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE JOKING! I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS GOING TO BE IN THE ACTUAL SONG! :doh:

Well to be honest am not really suprised, the people who i knew wouldnt like it no matter what, are the ones saying they dont like it,

The first thing I did this morning was buy the track from itunes. I've given it a few listens and I like it. I don't love it but I think the "You don't know how beautiful" bit will have to grow on me. It's the only part of the song I'm not digging right away.

I think it will be amazing live.

I get the connection to vertigo in the second verse with the rumbling guitar/bass. At first I didn't like it, but it's growing on me. The short bridge before the submarine/gasoline, i could live without. I love the opening.

Even though I'm kinda up in the air about the song, I think it bodes very very well for the album. I like the different sound, and the use of multiple drum and vocal tracks. Death by Audio A+. The closing is good too. that little bloop bloop is weird. I'm going probably just go bloop bloop every time i hear it. it's no boom cha, but it certainly is a bloop bloop.

how many more days until the album??!@#!?!?

I like it. It's got a groove and it rocks. It's not like Vertigo or ABOY like people have been saying unless they will include EBTTRT and Discotheque as well. There have been some out there stuff left off the album because they want to compete with their prior best albums. The next album will probably be more experimental.

It's because from a current point of view, 90s U2 were cool while today's U2 ... not so much. U2 could release The Fly II today and people would still not like it. Interesting considering the new song has a fair share of experimentation going on. People were gushing about Beach Clip 3 and how layered it was and how complex and how new for U2's standard it sounds. Now it seems they complain because it's too experimental or not experimental enough, I don't know. Lyrics are a real progression for Bono, still people refuse to see them as ironic and metaphorical. U2 are good at producing contradiction, just because a song sounds poppy doesn't mean it has to be light or funny. I wouldn't even consider it "poppy", I think it actually rocks quite hard.

What's surprising is that I got into the song very quickly, which isn't always the case. Most songs have to grow on me and I often find myself not liking them very much in the beginning. But when I first heard Boots, I instantly knew what I liked about it and what I maybe don't like so much.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the album now even more, because I think GOYB is a good sign. The chances that the lead single isn't among the best tracks of the album are quite good, so it can only go up from here. Everyone who is saying this sounds like a song from their last two albums should really really get their ears checked. I LOVE U2's last two albums, but that song surely sounds different. NLOTH will be a fantastic album. :up:

Hmm thanks for the substantive reply, rather than the ones who painted me as an ignoramus for my opinion of the song. :up:

The instrumentation rocks hard for me, the lyrics and vocal style are still not giving me enough substance (Yes, in reply to the other poster, the satan bomb scare thing is not candy pop, obviously...).. I guess I look for too much perfection from the band, or at least my idea of perfection.

Okay...maybe this goes in another place so mods move it if needed...but...
I just listened to GOYB a number of times as well and as an indie musician/producer/engineer and also a huge u2/lanois/eno fan I was hoping for a bit more by the hype. The intro guitars do have that vertigo hypnotic grab you too them and the bell tones in the chorus have that eno/u2 sound going along with other things but like others have said not sure any one thing goes deep enough for a song to be complete... to me it is more like watching the trailer for an upcoming movie...quick fast action with snippets from many scenes that may or may not be in the movie but creating enough excitement that you want to go see and and most likely will. So to me it is a trailer for the album more than just a single. I guess as a musician you always want to hear things the way you hear them in your head and having listened to U2 since the mid/late eighties with my first live show being JT in '87 my head sounds like this.
Eight Days Later Music
Would love to know what all of you think as well... so it that goes in another thread let me know where or please start one...
from the guy playing in the sandbox with his keys.. :wink:

Three listens --

It's not a total candy pop song, but with that beat and vibe could play well on pop radio and many radio formats.

I wish the lyrics were a tad more audible -- they sound very interesting, but some are hard to figure out -- what I can hear clearly is very interesting to me.

I hear the guitar riff that others reference when they say "sounds like Vertigo" -- its subtle, but in there, early in the song I think.

Given all the expectations, especially our here, I think its a very solid opening song and I'm looking forward to the remaining tracks.

I don't know what to listen for when people say the production is bad.

Lastly, I like the fact that this doesn not feel formula -- though I'm sure others will say it does.

i think the song is good...not great, its only my opinion, however i will say that this song will last longer for me than vertigo did :up:

I really want to love it, but it's not happening....yet. Love the "retro"-like sound... something isn't quite there for me yet. It may be one of those songs that are like a seed - it has to grow in the brain a bit. :reject:

I am very glad the boys are back and am anxious to hear the rest of the record.

What gets me is the how in the fuck does a thirty year band just keep on producing this madness???

This is like a breath of fresh air from the farts that I hear on the daily radio!

I will say that of the 5 beach clips #3 was my least favorite (and #2), so I have hope that the bulk of the new album will have tunes I like.

Wow! The song explodes out of your speakers immediately...loud drums great guitar def like it cant wait for 3 March

Two things: it IS a departure from the music they've made this decade, and I love that, and I'm looking forward to NLOTH. BUT I'm not going mad for the single.... I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy over it tonight (pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom