Winter (Song) (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think U2 should leave it as it is. Don't polish it up and overproduce it. They need to let some pieces just be half-drawn sketches. It's beautiful, loose and mystical.

Some of their best songs are the unfinished ones ala Unforgettable Fire, etc. Unfinished in a good way, inviting the listener's imagination to collaborate and fill in the blanks.

Their last few albums are missing this.

I'm loving Winter more and more...

At 21,
I was born a son,
And on that day I knew,
I could kill.

To protect the ones,
We put bullets in guns,
Or anything it takes,
To take a life.

i like the lyric, especially in context, i don't understand why it is a sucky lyric?

With my change it makes more sense, but it is a bit direct and unsubtle.
But I suppose he's writing from the perspective of an American G.I. so such lyrics would very much be in character. So no real problem then.

Utterly gorgeous, I love this song. I wouldn't have been complaining if it had made the album ahead of IGCIIDGCT....quite beautiful.....enhances the Unforgettablefireness of the album, which is never a bad thing.

i agree except for the album comment. i really like the song, but the album is perfect as is.

The album's not perfect- it's great but still a fair way from perfect. GOYB, SUC and IGCIIDGCT put a pretty big dampner on it ironically seeing as through they are the 'sunnier' rocking songs.

This song is up there with my faves from the album- NLOTH, breathe and unknown caller

The fisher price synth in the intro would put a bigger damper to NLOTH than anything on the album already ever could.

Well, this thread was screwed already yesterday. :wink:

But really, I don't understand why you folks have so much problem with throwaway entertainment pop. :shrug:
It is good as any other music as long it's done right imo.

Well, this thread was screwed already yesterday. :wink:

But really, I don't understand why you folks have so much problem with throwaway entertainment pop. :shrug:
It is good as any other music as long it's done right imo.

I wouldn't have any problem with Crazy Tonight if it was floating out on a film soundtrack somewhere as a peripheral product of these album sessions. But I'm not so sold on its actual presence in-album. :(

I wouldn't have any problem with Crazy Tonight if it was floating out on a film soundtrack somewhere as a peripheral product of these album sessions. But I'm not so sold on its actual presence in-album. :(

I think it works perfectly in the "New York" section of the album.

I think it works perfectly in the "New York" section of the album.

Yes, and its better than New York ort Grace or Wild Honey or All Because of you any day.

Crazy Tonight has HUGE hit potential, fits well in the context of the album, and for the 00's U2 flack it gets, it is produced very well and has some of the most uplifting, ringing guitar from the Edge we have heard in a while.

Crazy Tonight is good but forgettable, it's like a leftover from ATYCLB or HTDAAB.
Winter has more potential, it's musically interesting and the concept is very sound.

They would be idiots if they didn't see this finished.

Mercy has a better lyric while Winter has better music. It's a shame both were left off their respective albums. But at least Winter was given an adoptive home.

I wouldn't be too sad if they left both as unpolished gems and moved on.

Well since Winter emerged later in the game, perhaps we'll see more in this line on the follow-up, maybe even a full-blooded Mercy. How that would please many of us, and displease some others around here.

I love how slowly everyone checks in at the start. Strings, then Edge, then Larry, then Adam - all over a full minute. Then it's another 20 seconds or so till Bono makes an appearance. And the last chorus has come and gone at only the halfway mark.

Great stuff. So, so close to finished.

Hi all,

Yesterday I had a day off so I started listening to the cd in depth. At the same time I was blown away by the precious song that is Winter.

It seems to me that the album features two kinds of tracks:
1) The ones that sound like they belong to each other in terms of theme, 'drive'/rhytm and their shared 'eternal' atmosphere (especially Line, Magnificent and Fez).
2) The ones which don't seem relate to the others (boots, comedy, crazy) and seem a bit odd in the light ofthe other tracks. Although individually they are ok and will sound nice live, they don't seem to fit the overall atmosphere of the album or at least those mentioned before.

Regarding the first kind of tracks: Winter fits those song perfectly. Especially if the running order would be: Line, Magnificent, Winter...

To me Winter is a wide, grand song and at the same time subtle and delicate. It grows on me everytime I listen to it, just like the other songs that share the same atmosphere.

Hi all,

Yesterday I had a day off so I started listening to the cd in depth. At the same time I was blown away by the precious song that is Winter.

It seems to me that the album features two kinds of tracks:
1) The ones that sound like they belong to each other in terms of theme, 'drive'/rhytm and their shared 'eternal' atmosphere (especially Line, Magnificent and Fez).
2) The ones which don't seem relate to the others (boots, comedy, crazy) and seem a bit odd in the light ofthe other tracks. Although individually they are ok and will sound nice live, they don't seem to fit the overall atmosphere of the album or at least those mentioned before.

Regarding the first kind of tracks: Winter fits those song perfectly. Especially if the running order would be: Line, Magnificent, Winter...

To me Winter is a wide, grand song and at the same time subtle and delicate. It grows on me everytime I listen to it, just like the other songs that share the same atmosphere.

Yes :up:

With my change it makes more sense, but it is a bit direct and unsubtle.
But I suppose he's writing from the perspective of an American G.I. so such lyrics would very much be in character. So no real problem then.

with all due respect, all the lyrics u typed were common sense heard in the song.

no comparison, this blows away a song like " white as snow". have no idea how that made it on the album but winter didnt.

Back
Top Bottom