U2 in Toronto July 30 2003????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MunkyMan

The Fly
hello all,

Just curious about a strong rumor going around Toronto. The Rolling Stones are apperantly going to be playing a free show on July 30 to help out Toronto after the SARS crisis and bring in some tourism money and the rumor today is that Rush and U2 have been added to the bill as well. Any one hear about this???

mike in toronto

sorry. I just heard the rumour on local rock station Q107 this morning. I know the stones are 99% in. It is bascially a concert to help promote Toronto after the SARS scare. Tourism in the city has been lost because of it, hotel workers are being laid off etc. It is pretty bad. What is being reported is REALLY BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION. People are NOT walking around with masks on and Toronto is a SAFE city to visit. I was out last weekend in downtown and it should be packed with people, but there was hardly anyone out. ANYWAY, the rumour that I have heard around work as well ( i work at city hall ) is that Rush and U2 are possably being added. Lets hope!!! It would be a free concert on Toronto's waterfront.

mike

This rumour has me pretty excited - u2luv and I are headed to Cleveland (with our kids) on July 25th and are stopping in Niagara on July 30th for a couple of days before heading home! We could go!

damn free concerts.. it'll probably be SOOOOO hard to get there if it happens because of the throngs. then.. that's the point.

Sheesh, I wish my hometown had a bad reputation for something... then we could sign anybody.

Hey wait, we have Mad Cow and West Nile... come play a concert for us too damnit.

:sexywink:

It's not going to be free, it will be 20 bucks, and they expect at least half a million people.

This rumor came about because the organizers are saying it will be the Rolling Stones and 16 BIG NAME bands with them. U2 surfaced as a rumor and I think it's just that at the moment.

I would simply die if this was true.

Alright, here is the latest. Monday at 5:30 at dundas square, there will be an official press conference put on by the city and molsons ( since they are paying for it.) On the rumour front, it seems that there have been 185,000 shirts made for the event with the following band names: Rush, The Rolling Stones, Sheryl Crow, Kid rock and U2!!! By Monday night, we will know for sure.

I will try to find out more

mike in toronto

I was under the impression that the Stones were getting paid by a private entity (Molson's?). In that case, what about these other bands?

This entire thing is going to be a complete zoo, U2 present or not. But if they're there, I predict some of us in sleeping bags 3-4 days in advance.

I highly doubt any of this.

Radio stations are notorious for blowing things out of proportion, and as I know haw scary SARS is I work part time in Toronto and do not think this concert will happen...

ouizy, the concert will actually go on, I think it's pretty much a done deal - hence the press conference. Plus, the organizers have been in the papers giving details about it, including the venue, so this is definitely not something the radio stations cooked up. As far as U2 is concerned - that one I don't believe.

anitram said:
It's not going to be free, it will be 20 bucks, and they expect at least half a million people.

This rumor came about because the organizers are saying it will be the Rolling Stones and 16 BIG NAME bands with them. U2 surfaced as a rumor and I think it's just that at the moment.

I would simply die if this was true.

:hyper:!!!

*crosses her fingers*

My understanding is that the press conference is this morning at 10:30am ET...either way, many of us here in TO are eagerly anticipating the news!!

The optimist in me is already planning a U2GTA campsite at the gate and the skeptic in me is thinking there is a media mole in our yahoo list playing with us...we have a LONG running joke about Rush and U2...this would be WAY too freaky if they played the same bill!

MunkyMan, souLnation2002, anitram and bayernfc, if you are lurkers in our U2_GTA yahoo group, you know what I'm talking about :lol: And if you don't lurk among us, you should!! We have an "in" on tickets for this event for our members.

It looks like the press conference is going to be on Tuesday Morning now in downtown toronto at the younge/Dundas square.

We'll keep you posted!!!!

mike in toronto

Damn...this is killing me...my source said the announcement for the press conference came out as Mon, June 24...oops....where did you get your info?

You are right. Initally it was supposed to be Thursday, June 19 then got bumped to Monday (today) at 5:30pm. The latest I heard is that it was going to be Tuesday Morning at about 10:30am. I got a pretty reliable source!!

MunkyMan said:
You are right. Initally it was supposed to be Thursday, June 19 then got bumped to Monday (today) at 5:30pm. The latest I heard is that it was going to be Tuesday Morning at about 10:30am. I got a pretty reliable source!!

I have only the announcement date as being Tuesday. Here's the URL at canoe that says it is Tuesday (change the stp to http):

stp://jam.canoe.ca/JamMusic/jun22_stones-sun.html

"Liberal MP Dennis Mills said an announcement of the July 30 concert, slated for Downsview Park, will be held Tuesday morning at Yonge-Dundas Square."

Cheers

Yeah, I just got that confirmed as well. My sense though is that this is just a rumour here in TO...if there were real plans for U2 to come, there would be a leak from the U2 camp as well.

This is what I will tell myself to get through until tomorrow morning LMAO

:laugh: :hyper:

Awesome...I'll be going either way, tomorrow's announcement just tells me how long I will have to wait in line for the actual show... a few hours or a few days, hehe.

Last edited:
OMG...I'M GOING TO DIE....

Q107 just said... next a song from one of the other bands that will be playing with the Stones on July 30th...the song...

NEW YEAR'S DAY!!!

I can't take much more of this...

Last edited:
ok ok...here's some perspective to cushion the blow (thanks, Mark)....

The band don't usually join up to do "special concerts" that are to revive a city's tourist economy. Their commitments are usually for issues that have a little more depth and social meaning.

So BOOOOOO on the media for toying with us....

Guess you can't believe the media. But frankly there are a lot of rumors floating around right now regarding U2, especially since their next studio album will be released in the next few months. So I guess the media latches onto things like that and then says things to get people excited.

Then again, maybe it will happen and the U2 Camp is trying to keep hush hush about it as long as they can.

Who knows, frankly, if it does happen, I'm highly jealous of you all in Toronto.

On a side note - I hear the Toronto Symphony is folding in a few years, that really blows. As a classical musician, that REALLY irritates me. But I digress.

Oh, the suspense of this is KILLING ME!!! :crazy: :hyper: :combust:

At first, I thought well, this will never happen and put it out of my mind. But now with Q107, which we listen to all day at work toying with my brain....well this is outright SADISTIC!!!!

Because now, even though I'm not expecting it, I will still be crushed if it isn't true.

For sure though, I have some extra vacation time for the GTA camping party! :D

U2Fan 101, I work in the arts and I know the TSO had some problems, they re-organized their Board and such, but they are by no means folding. That would have been all over the news here, or at the very least in the arts community. Did you hear something new?? :confused:

U2Fan 101, I work in the arts and I know the TSO had some problems, they re-organized their Board and such, but they are by no means folding. That would have been all over the news here, or at the very least in the arts community. Did you hear something new?? :confused: [/B]

There was an article in the Kansas City Star a few weeks back talking about orchestras - San Jose symphony cancelled the rest of their season, 5 orchestras have folded in the US, NY Phil and LA Phil have cancelled tours due to finances. There was a little blurb talking about Canadian Orchestras and one of them was the Toronto Symphony and said they'll be joining the boat of "the dead" along with the St. Louis Symphony in a few years.

Don't know what that means if Toronto will fold, but as a classical musician, this irritates me. I voted for Gore for the sole reason he said he would raise the funding for the National Endowment of the Arts. Unlike Bush who admitted to cutting back the funding. Not only did Bush cut back the funding, he all but eliminated it, and THAT THAT THAT has irritated me like you wouldn't believe.

Granted this does not effect Toronto or other Canadian Orchestras, but boy oh boy, do I have a very LARGE soap box about this subject.

Back
Top Bottom