The Troubles - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait Shadows are GREAAAT, Yahweh is a good song, but with maybe the worst production on the whole album and I also kinda like Grace, despite not too good vocal by Bono

Best song for me since One. Message is powerful, vocals are flawless. Add an Edge solo for the live performance and you have encore magic.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really hope you're right. I hope they realize this potential. I wonder if Edge would even play a guitar solo like that anymore. 2000s Edge seems to prefer quick 8 bar solos, usually with a slide.

I think this could actually be the big hit of the album if they want it to be. It gets in my head everyday. The female collaboration has big appeal. Almost like Gotye "Someone that I used to know"

I like this song quite a bit. I'm not sure I agree that it's the instant classic and masterpiece that it's being made out to be (perhaps if they'd sorted how to end it), but it's one of the most interesting songs on the record.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but one thing that doesn't work for me...while I love the Lykke Li bit and think it's beautiful, I find the "Little by little they robbed and stole" line doesn't work as well as it should. While for whatever reason the ATM machine line has never bothered me, here I find the redundancy a little clunky...it's like saying "Little by little they talked and spoke". Using two words connected by "and" that mean the essentially same thing. Again, I like that part the song, and the sentiment, but I think maybe Bono could have found better phrasing here.

That's a small complaint though, and I think it's good closer (for the record, not a show). I'm looking forward to hearing the alternate version.

you could use one word to describe the primary concern of most U2 albums.

Achtung = Sex.
Zooropa = Technology.
War = War.
Joshua Tree = America.

for this album, i would choose "violence." and that's why this song is a brilliant closer.

the lyrics to this song are deceptively complex. i don't really think it's about "domestic violence" in the traditional sense -- i think it's more along the lines of Ordinary Love where a domestic relationship is a stand-in for an entire country/culture, only here we're talking about Ireland.

you can't call something The Troubles and not have it evoke Irishness, and especially on an album that is overtly about Dublin in the 1970s, where i'm assuming levels of domestic violence were much more tolerated/unspoken than they are today. but the "domestic violence" in this song is really Irish-on-Irish, not husband/wife.

the person who "stepped inside your soul" is the colonizer -- i suppose "the English" in this case -- and changed you in such a fundamental way that the person you were is no longer in control. you've become someone else. but you've also played a part in your own colonization.

it's this psychic exploration is what's interesting, and how Bono examines the role of the colonized in their own impression, how the colonized "take on the shape of someone else's pain" and implicate themselves in the abusive relationship.

he also offers a way out, like he does in RBW where "when i open my eyes / you disappear" -- "God now you can see me / i'm naked and i'm not afraid / my body's scared and i'm not ashamed." you have to open your eyes to see what the colonizer has done to you, and what you've done to yourself. how do you see? you get out.

the album is just starting to sink in, so these thoughts aren't totally formed. but, really, the album is obsessed with violence, internal and external.

I'm interested to hear the alternate version. There's part of the song from the beach clip that's missing here. I think we're in for more of a rockier version which I think the song lacks. It starts off great but doesn't really go anywhere.

If Edge went on a crazy solo at the end, it would've been much better.

I LOVE this song. I knew I would love it since I heard the beach clip from it (which was thought to be Song for Someone).

So glad U2 is still producing great music that touches the soul. I think that, as many U2 songs, it can be interpreted in several ways. I feel it is about abuse, or domination of some sort; and about release from said abuse/domination.

Does anyone know what are the words that Bono yells during the two last repetitions of the chorus (before and after the "god knows its not easy..."part)? They are not in the official lyrics, and I can only understand some of them...

Thanks!

The more I keep listening to this, the more I'm convinced that this is their best album closer since Wake Up Dead Man, and may be second among closers to Love Is Blindness.

Now we just need to get the version with Edge's full solo peeling the paint off the wall.

Easily the best since WUDM. The last three closers were some of the worst songs on their respective albums (which weren't all that great anyway). The Troubles is great!

The Troubles is a great song.
The fact a guest star is in this song is something rare for U2.

The alternate version confirms this is a very good song.

My dream is a complete album with young artists in guest. Fresh and unique.

The alternative version is pretty good. Very similar to the album version. The differences make it worse though, I think. Still interesting.

The Troubles is a great song.

The alternate version confirms this is a very good song.

So true. I loved this song in its original form, but hearing the alternate take makes me think this is a song that can't go wrong.

Damn. ... Damn... This right here is what U2 are capable of. They put out music this good then they release shit like elevation, walk on, how to dismantle an atomic bomb, etc.

U2 acting their age is such a good thing. The sooner they come to terms with that, the more goodness we can expect in the form of songs like this.

Also, when people are comparing this to other closers... fair point. But this song is so much better than just as a "closer". It's got to be one of the best songs they've quite literally ever put out.

Hyperbole? Absolutely. But I'm posting on Interference and I want to fit in. :sexywink:

Also, when people are comparing this to other closers... fair point. But this song is so much better than just as a "closer". It's got to be one of the best songs they've quite literally ever put out.

Hyperbole? Absolutely. But I'm posting on Interference and I want to fit in. :sexywink:

:up:

Alas, they'll to what they perceive to be the "safe" route and release Every Breaking Wave.

:up:

Alas, they'll to what they perceive to be the "safe" route and release Every Breaking Wave.

I think you'll see Every Breaking Wave and Troubles released as singles. Then that's probably it. Haven't people commented that TV commercials for the album have had Miracle, wave and Troubles? Plus the AMC thing.

Just hope they protect their own house and put this song out there.

I think you'll see Every Breaking Wave and Troubles released as singles. Then that's probably it. Haven't people commented that TV commercials for the album have had Miracle, wave and Troubles? Plus the AMC thing.

Just hope they protect their own house and put this song out there.

As much as they struggle for radio success nowadays, the Troubles might have the potential to be a hit because it would be played on their wheelhouse format of AAA and would most likely cross over to AC, which is a HUGE format that would more than make up(significantly more) for the disinterest that Alternative and mainstream rock stations would have for it.

Lykke Li's presence might persuade some alternative stations to play it, at least the ones that carry her own material.

agreed. Lykke Li's music always reminds me of Mazzy Star but I still really enjoy her work. The Troubles is true class and a excellent album track to boot. I will be enjoying it for years to come.

Love this haunting song. It's classic U2. I interpret it as the duality of "the troubles" in an intimate relationship and possibly pointing to the actual "Troubles" of Ireland's past. I love how both scenarios could fit the powerful lyrics. What do feel the lyrics mean?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom