The real reason U2 isn't releasing any of this material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah what i meant was maybe something like "hey guys, lets not go there and do this again ... not fold him arms and go sit in the corner

Ah i see. Yeah, that would certainly be the best case scenario of all this - that they had made an album full of generic, poppy tunes ready for may, and Danger Mouse (or who/whatever) convinced them to make something more exciting...
I had been worried that it was the other way around - that they made some fresh new stuff, but were worried it wasn't 'commercial' or 'u2' enough - and that's certainly possible. But it's interesting that they were showcasing tunes like North Star and Mercy which IMO, are pretty generic U2 songs and aren't special/worthy of anything other than B-side status, and now they've decided not to release an album. But yeah, if anyone is going to be likely to convince them to do a really good job, it will be Danger Mouse :up:

If Danger Mouse produced North Star, it wouldn't be generic U2 at all. He'd take it into a fresh, innovative direction. I really can't enthuse enough just how great he is. Bottom line - if U2 spend less time farting around with RedOne, Lillywhite and Will.I.am, and more time working with DM, the next album will be TERRIFIC. I have no doubts about that at all.

All those quotes from that Bono interview are kinda shit.

1. "People don't *need* another U2 product. If we release another album, it had better be good."
2. "We've got a few interesting projects on the go."
3. "The public doesn't want interesting art."
4. "We will release the standard U2 product next fall."

Makes perfect sense to me!

ps. North Star sucks and I can't wait to hear all the bangin' HTDAAB outtakes on the next album.

If Danger Mouse produced North Star, it wouldn't be generic U2 at all. He'd take it into a fresh, innovative direction. I really can't enthuse enough just how great he is. Bottom line - if U2 spend less time farting around with RedOne, Lillywhite and Will.I.am, and more time working with DM, the next album will be TERRIFIC. I have no doubts about that at all.

I agree that DM is a fantastic producer and just what u2 need, and i think the good thing about Bono's recent quotes is that it's implied that they're only 'flirting' with RedOne and Songs of Ascent tracks, whilst the next true proper album is being guided by danger mouse. Much better this than the other way around.

But i still disagree about North star - unless they completely changed the vibe/instrument sounds and lyrics, then i think it's a lost cause.
(of course i would love to be proven wrong)

^ Yeah, that's what I meant. He'd change the arrangements and the general vibe. But of course, I hope he has much better material to work with...

You should post in B&C - we have threads for many of the artists you bought up and new opinions and thoughts are extremely welcome!

Thanks, I'll check it out... I'm ashamed to say that although I've nearly been "here" for ten years I only check EYKIW and the Tour section! :doh:

Yes, please join us.

(FYI the cool kids hang out in the Random Music Thread :shifty:)

That Bono interview confuses, but I'm probably reading between the lines too deeply.

He begins to talk about the "club" album, mentions one song "I'll Believe Her When She Sings" and then proceeds to try but (somehow! - how bad is his memory) struggles to remember "all" of the other songs... and we get nothing but 3 dots (...) and a description of "North Star" which one surely wouldn't find on a "club" album, given our knowledge of the song to date.

His words flow awkwardly.

I agree that Dangermouse could be a huge shot in the arm. While I wasn't a fan of the album he did with Beck, I've been listening to ROME all week and it's excellent. And his work with the Black Keys is solid as well.

I just think that he'll be able to help them blend the sonic ideas they have with tight "hits" without is seeming contrived.

jack-nicholson_joker.jpg

That Bono interview confuses, but I'm probably reading between the lines too deeply.

He begins to talk about the "club" album, mentions one song "I'll Believe Her When She Sings" and then proceeds to try but (somehow! - how bad is his memory) struggles to remember "all" of the other songs... and we get nothing but 3 dots (...) and a description of "North Star" which one surely wouldn't find on a "club" album, given our knowledge of the song to date.

His words flow awkwardly.

and now we know that North Star, beign a product of RedOne's work, would have ended up on said club album

I think Danger Mouse is great. He has a very cinematic style that's extremely unique and has kind of an epic feel. Almost like it's telling a story. The Gorillaz, Rome and Broken Bells are good examples of that.

I just pray to god he never does anything with Will I Am. What a horrible, horrible artist. If I had a list of people I'd never want U2 to work with he would be at the top of that list along with anyone else involved with the Black Eyed Peas. There are few bands I can't stand and they're one of them. Some of the worst music I've ever heard.

Back
Top Bottom