The real reason U2 isn't releasing any of this material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or at least open for them.

Or maybe have that Circe De Sith show that was going on while Sidious tried to seduce Annakin open for them.

In the shadows, boy meets man.

anakin-palpatine-opera.jpg

That's not entirely accurate. He wrote the story. Brackett and Kasdan wrote the screenplay. It's still his story.

Brackett didn't really write the screenplay. She received a screen credit out of respect but very little of her work ended up in the final shooting script.

She's like the Chris Thomas of Star Wars.

If we are following the Star Wars thing full story...there's a happy ending. With The Clone Wars, Lucas is working with young, enthusiastic fans of Star Wars who are smart and sharp. Along with Lucas they are making better Star Wars than any of the three prequels. So, maybe U2 should work with some young, smart producers...

SUC is the Jar-Jar of U2.....they should have had him killed in Episode III. They theater would have cheered.

Wow! I was just thinking about that painting. I knew the guy who created it, and we both did work for the Star Wars Insider back in the 90s...

Well, over on atu2 someone posted an interview Bono had with some irish magazine, and it seems to have some .

i will just post the whole thing...seems like NS was a part of the club album :huh::huh:

Bono Tells Hot Press: U2 Album "Next Fall"
@U2, May 23, 2011
By: Matt McGee / @mattmcgee

In a wide-ranging interview mainly about President Barack Obama, Bono tells Hot Press magazine that the next "regular" U2 album will "probably" be out "next fall." He doesn't clarify if that's Fall 2011 or 2012.

Olaf Tyaransen interviewed Bono in early May primarily to talk about President Obama's visit this week to Ireland. But other topics came up, such as the Spider-Man project and U2's studio work. Bono says the band originally planned to have an album right about now to coincide with the North American leg of the U2 360 tour.

"Is this Songs of Ascent?," Tyaransen asks. Bono replies:

No, actually we've got a few going (laughs). We have Songs of Ascent, which is a kind of ecstatic album, ambient, very beautiful songs. But it's a real stained-glass window of a record, elegiac, I think you could describe some of the songs, beautiful. There's one song called "Mount Zion," that's beautiful. There's a song called "Soon", there's a song called "Every Breaking Wave". Then there's -- we went in to make some club music with RedOne and we got some very extraordinary club sounding stuff, one called "I'll Believe Her When She Sings". Let me think if I can remember all of them now … "North Star", that's a ballad actually, that's a beautiful song: we've actually played it acoustically onstage a little bit on the tour. And then we, the sort of rock album -- although I think "rock" is the wrong word for it -- the next sort of "regular U2 band" album, we started to make with Danger Mouse. Brian Burton, AKA Danger Mouse. Who is like a mix of Brian Eno and Danny Lanois. He is a cerebral fellow, but with deep reserves of instinct which he prizes over intellect any day, he listens from some other part of himself. He is really making quite an impact on us, because he's really encouraging us away from all the things that we know.

Bono goes on to say that the band currently has about 10 songs with Danger Mouse, as well as 18 Spider-Man songs and 20 Spider-Man pieces of music. After switching topics, Tyaransen asks Bono about a release date for U2's next album. Says Bono:

I think next fall. I mean, as always, it'll be ready when it's finished, although I never feel like a U2 album gets finished, we sort of finish the songs live. But when it's nearly finished, we'll release it. And that will be probably next fall. We want to get it right. I mean, look, why would anyone want another U2 album? Lots of people have them, why would they want another one? It just better be really great, and the reason why we didn't put out Songs of Ascent was that we felt that the next thing people need to hear from U2 is not an art project, that it has a rock 'n' roll heart, even if it's not rock 'n' roll music. It has the songs, you play them live.

as an aside...SOA does sound amazing with his description.

We have Songs of Ascent, which is a kind of ecstatic album, ambient, very beautiful songs. But it's a real stained-glass window of a record, elegiac, I think you could describe some of the songs, beautiful. There's one song called "Mount Zion," that's beautiful. There's a song called "Soon", there's a song called "Every Breaking Wave".
Interviewer: "Sounds amazing! When do we get to hear it?"
Bono: "Never. Enjoy your HUTDAB II, suckers! LOTS OF HITS LOLOLOLOLOLOL"
Fans:
rageguy_1__104.jpg

Interviewer: "Sounds amazing! When do we get to hear it?"
Bono: "Never. Enjoy your HUTDAB II, suckers! LOTS OF HITS LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

Bono: "You think that's bad - we also made up with Apple and we'll soon release a U2 iPhone (only $300 mark-up) loaded with the new HUTDAB II!"

Fans - Initial Reaction: :drool: At least it's new U2 and we get a new toy!

Fans - One Month Later: :angry::doh::madwife:

"next fall"
I don't doubt that the Danger Mouse album (which is probably what he means by "the next regular U2 album") will come out eventually. It's SOA I'm not sure about (though, as others have said, the fact that he's still referring to it as a separate entity is promising).

The point is, we're not getting a new album of any kind until next fall, period. Fall 2012. Fall 2011 = this fall, and he didn't say this fall.

As for SOA, don't hold your breath, he made it pretty clear that they decided not to release it as their next major release. Maybe it'll be a fan thing or bonus disc to a Best Of.

I still think the strongest bet would be that in a couple of years we get an album that is a bit of a mix of all of this, watered down.

While I'm bummed that there will be no new album this year, I really like what he said about Dangermouse ecouraging them to get away from what they know.

That really gives me hope. They are searching hard for something new, and I have faith that they will deliver.

You just know that SOA would be incredible too.. It sounds like the U2 i need to hear again.
They don't do rock music very well consistently. Oh well. Really past caring at this point.

It is - if it ever actually gets release - at least with Danger Mouse. If it were "Yeah we're doing a wicked rock album from Jupiter with Rick Rubin" I'd be screaming murder about the "arty" stuff getting left behind, but DM is still interesting. Of course, it all comes down to what U2 are bringing to the studio. I mean, Danger Mouse might have made Crazy Tonight sound a little bit better on the surface, but still - turd/polish, all of that.

Back
Top Bottom