The real reason U2 isn't releasing any of this material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that ^ and SUC are beyond salvation IMO. Total Dad rock rubbish, more stuff like Cedars would be amazing...

Oh well. There are other bands making interesting music, taking risks and putting creativity above the cash. On the bright side, at least U2 are going to release another album in 2012 that will make enough money to have a big screen and rocket ship and stuff when they play live. :hyper:

But it's a real stained-glass window of a record, elegiac, I think you could describe some of the songs, beautiful.

I love this ^

Definition of ELEGIAC
(1) : written in or consisting of elegiac couplets (2) : noted for having written poetry in such couplets c : of or relating to the period in Greece about the seventh century b.c. when poetry written in such couplets flourished
2: of, relating to, or comprising elegy or an elegy; especially : expressing sorrow often for something now past <an elegiac lament for departed youth>

U2 go to Lillywhite for those kind of songs.

Exactly, i think Bono made the point that Danger Mouse is trying to push them away from their comfort zone, which should hopefully mean DM doesn't have to produce any stand up comedy's or crazy tonights.
... hopefully.

Exactly, i think Bono made the point that Danger Mouse is trying to push them away from their comfort zone, which should hopefully mean DM doesn't have to produce any stand up comedy's or crazy tonights.
... hopefully.

maybe thats why the album didn't come out...DM refused to try to produce hits just for the sake of making a fake song.

maybe thats why the album didn't come out...DM refused to try to produce hits just for the sake of making a fake song.

Hmm... i doubt as a producer he could outright refuse to do what U2 wanted, but i certainly think it's a possibility that Danger Mouse's style made the band rethink the type of tunes they were aiming for.
I have no foundation or proof for this at all, but i like to think that the band wants to bring out songs that are not just 'catchy', and 'hit's, but are also powerful and push the bar. Hopefully they're aiming to recapture the spirit/mindset of achtung baby more than HTDAAB. And with DM, perhaps they realised to do so meant they couldn't just release another GOYB.

Just curious who you think fits into this category in 2011?

Wild Beasts, Antlers, Kanye, PJ Harvey, James Blake, Bon Iver, Radiohead, The new Horrors single is lovely...

The most frustrating thing for me is that when U2 are great they are amazing. I know it's in them, but they seem frightened of not being a world force. It's dangerous territory IMO because it's a creative dead end. Don't get me wrong, I still love them, I just don't really listen to much of their 2000 output anymore. And I felt very much out of touch with them when I saw their 2009 shows, the masks etc just made me feel a bit embarrassed for them, I never felt that before in all my years as a fan. I've always got "it". I guess I just didn't get the need for that daft stage on the back of a wildly confused record. It had nothing to do with the theme (which I felt was watered down from their time in Fez anyway) of NLOTH and if I listen to it now I much prefer the Corbijn images in my head, particularly on Cedars, MoS and NLOTH (song). Although my heart still sinks everytime I hear Crazy Tonight! Especially live! And the new songs in 2010 just left me very very cold. Glastonbury was turgid IMO, and the others were acoustic love songs by numbers.

Maybe I'm facing up to the fact that I just don't love what they do anymore. Maybe I'm not a "fan" as such. Makes me feel a bit sad if I'm honest. Ha! I probably thought that SoA would restoke the flames of love because it sounded so amazing when Bono spoke about it. I guess it just didn't feel right for them...

Look, it's probably me, not them...!!!

Their self-doubt and holding back of what is, according to every time Bono talks about it, a beautiful, mournful album pisses me off.

Wild Beasts, Antlers, Kanye, PJ Harvey, James Blake, Bon Iver, Radiohead, The new Horrors single is lovely...

Been meaning to check out James Blake :up:

But out of all of those really only Kanye and Radiohead are "big" musicians.

It's fairly easy to be or at least come off as interesting, taking risks and putting creativity above the cash when you're fairly unknown.

PJ Harvey I feel is no longer very interesting. Which saddens me.

Kanye has definitely put cash above creativity several times.

And many won't agree with me or admit this yet, but I think Radiohead has gotten to the point of resting on their laurels. Their last two albums have been Radiohead by numbers and only one of those being good.

It's difficult to be "big" and still come off as all of those. I think at some point you end up disappearing, making albums that sound like you, or worse albums that sound like someone else...

U2's one of the few bands that HAVE been able to do all those things several times in their career. I still think they are writing good music, I think they get confused with their direction sometimes but it's still quality.

I'm not sure one person on that list will ever get to that point 30 years into their career... we shall see :shrug:

As for PJ Harvey...haven't heard Let England Shake yet, but I thought White Chalk was probably one of the most extreme departures ever taken by a recording artist. Nothing in her back catalogue sounds like that album.

Let England Shake is another interesting departure for her. I understand someone not liking her new directions, but it is anything but not interesting.

As for PJ Harvey...haven't heard Let England Shake yet, but I thought White Chalk was probably one of the most extreme departures ever taken by a recording artist. Nothing in her back catalogue sounds like that album.

Let England Shake is a leap away from everything that came before it. I mean, the entire album is done on the autoharp. The lyrical content is extremely political in a way that would make Bono blush.

Listen to the title track, "Written on the Forehead" and "The Colour of the Earth". (then watch the original version of "Let England Shake" with the sample that lurks within the album cut)

And many won't agree with me or admit this yet, but I think Radiohead has gotten to the point of resting on their laurels. Their last two albums have been Radiohead by numbers and only one of those being good.

I don't think they've made anything really that amazing since OK Computer, but that's just me. :shrug:

i am so out of touch with new stuff, but definitely agree with you on Radiohead and PJ Harvey - Let England Shake is fantastic! :up:

He thinks he's so great with that afro and that coat and that look and his secrecy ... :angry:

i am so out of touch with new stuff, but definitely agree with you on Radiohead and PJ Harvey - Let England Shake is fantastic! :up:

Yeah, it's healthy to put U2 into the context of the wider music world. I think some fans listen to them in complete isolation.
The argument about how many of those bands will be around in 20 years is an interesting one. The Smiths only lasted for 5 years and their influence is staggering. The Beatles 9? Joy Division 3?

I think the uniqueness of U2 is that they stuck/stick together and evolved, because they always followed their creative nose, if you like. Something tells me that they aren't allowing that to happen for some reason...

Some people obviously love what they do, no matter what. I guess I'm just not one of them and I know this forum will have members who feel the same way as me. Takes all sorts! :wave:

chrissybaby said:
Yeah, it's healthy to put U2 into the context of the wider music world. I think some fans listen to them in complete isolation.
The argument about how many of those bands will be around in 20 years is an interesting one. The Smiths only lasted for 5 years and their influence is staggering. The Beatles 9? Joy Division 3?

I think the uniqueness of U2 is that they stuck/stick together and evolved, because they always followed their creative nose, if you like. Something tells me that they aren't allowing that to happen for some reason...

Some people obviously love what they do, no matter what. I guess I'm just not one of them and I know this forum will have members who feel the same way as me. Takes all sorts! :wave:

You should post in B&C - we have threads for many of the artists you bought up and new opinions and thoughts are extremely welcome!

You should post in B&C - we have threads for many of the artists you bought up and new opinions and thoughts are extremely welcome!

Thanks, I'll check it out... I'm ashamed to say that although I've nearly been "here" for ten years I only check EYKIW and the Tour section! :doh:

Have you checked out her first collaboration with John Parish, Dancehall at Louse? I think those two albums have a similiar feel.

Let England Shake is another interesting departure for her. I understand someone not liking her new directions, but it is anything but not interesting.

So far I really like Let England Shake, but it just wouldn't fall under what I would consider "interesting" music. It would fall under really good PJ Harvey.

Interviewer: "Sounds amazing! When do we get to hear it?"
Bono: "Never. Enjoy your HUTDAB II, suckers! LOTS OF HITS LOLOLOLOLOLOL"
Fans:
rageguy_1__104.jpg

But you can't have it both ways can you? I have a selection of world music, personally I prefer this music to recent chart music but I do know Inca music is an acquired taste.

Then you all moan that their album isn't selling as much as the last album. People like catchy melodic obvious songs. They haven't got time to play an album 10 times until they begin to like it. They are busy people with jobs and a home life. They want to like a song after hearing it 3 times

Why is U2 not releasing the material?

Because the Spiderman soundtrack comes out in June. Achtung Baby remaster is this fall. Then, they want a fall release because the album sales always suffer in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom