The 2013 AFL Thread Not Under ASADA Investigation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like this more if it didn't have the juvenile, derivative (downright disgusting too) 'rape dungeon' schtick.

Ugh I just want to watch some footy, I'm so sick of all this drama.

Paul Little and James Hird go whack in return. Little was passive aggressive; Hird was fuming. It was visceral.

The AFL and one of its clubs seems to be at war. It's really sad.

Essendon are either not guilty in some way shape or form or, they are going at the whole Lance Armstrong approach.

Either way I get the feeling Hird and Co. will not be at Essendon next year as well as that the AFL will have a new CEO I can't see Demetriou hanging around much longer.

All in all I'm back to where I was before the season began, I really couldn't give a fuck about the AFL. Ultimately once this is all over, nobody wins.

Oddly enough, I'm very, very excited for the Lions/Bulldogs match this weekend. I think that one could be a classic in its own way, as both teams are really improving.

You all might not give a shit, and that's totally fair enough and understandable, but I need an outlet for all this Essendon stuff!

BSQvB7YCEAAFdKS.png:large

Never had respect for Hird, and essendon are a club I have no time for. No sympathy for any of them.

And yeah, the lions/dogs game should be good. I did a total 360 on the bulldogs a few years back. Haven't watched them closely in recent times, but they're one of the few Victorian clubs I like.

Nothing official yet - but it appears that Essendon will not be playing finals. Suspension for Hird. But keep draft picks. Bombers set to miss finals

Not really sure that's a punishment that will really fit. The players have seemed disinterested and they were probably on track for a first-week exit anyway.

Yeah even I really don't care about Essendon being in the finals. We're obviously just going to make up the numbers anyway; we'll lose in the final two rounds and then get chucked out first week of the finals. The players' spirits have obviously been broken, the team's heart isn't in this season, and by the sounds of it Hird's now fairly absent as a coach. I'm more interested in the fortunes of Richmond and Freo at this stage. Roll on next season and fingers crossed that our best players don't walk.

The only thing that pisses me off about us not making the finals is that we will likely be replaced by motherfucking Carlton, not North Melbourne, who are clearly the better team and deserve the finals berth more. If Carlton become eighth, they will just make up the numbers like Essendon would've and will be summarily discarded first week - their whole season has been completely underwhelming. North Melbourne, on the other hand, seem to have finally got over their chokes and have been competitive of late. Three or four less minutes of game time over the whole season and they'd be sixth on the ladder right now. They may not win first week but on current form they'd at least put up a good fight, a better one than Carlton. But Carlton's one game clear of North Melbourne, and Carlton has the easier run - they only have to play Essendon and Port (though the latter is in Adelaide so it's not a certain thing), while North have Hawthorn and Collingwood so they'll probably get done in both.

Carlton was pretty great against Richmond.

On a totally unrelated note, I now watch to see whether people treat football teams as singular or plural. I always used to say "If Carlton become eighth, they will..." now I say "If Carlton becomes eighth, it will..."

Carlton was pretty great against Richmond.

On a totally unrelated note, I now watch to see whether people treat football teams as singular or plural. I always used to say "If Carlton become eighth, they will..." now I say "If Carlton becomes eighth, it will..."

I was under the impression using the singular for sports teams is American English and the plural is Commonwealth English.

Horrid first quarter for West Coast; pretty much a re-run of last week. I can see why Bonnie's passion for this season has evaporated. Though speaking of that Carlton-Richmond game, I hope West Coast can pull a Carlton and knock off Collingwood!

I was under the impression using the singular for sports teams is American English and the plural is Commonwealth English.
ooh, ooh, grammar stuff. you're right. though obviously if the collective noun ends in an -s or something, we'd use a plural noun. (the steelers are awesome, etc.) though maybe it's me spending too much time using the queen's english or something as i've realised i think whenever i use a collective noun, i use a plural verb (u2 are a shitty band).

okay i'm done :reject:

What is wrong with West Coast this season? Talent to boot but they have pitiful so often. Many tipped them for a Premiership in 2013

Ouch. West Coast's lowest ever score at the MCG. They really have just packed up and stopped trying haven't they?

ooh, ooh, grammar stuff. you're right. though obviously if the collective noun ends in an -s or something, we'd use a plural noun. (the steelers are awesome, etc.) though maybe it's me spending too much time using the queen's english or something as i've realised i think whenever i use a collective noun, i use a plural verb (u2 are a shitty band).

okay i'm done :reject:

As I understand, it's because under Commonwealth English a team is viewed as a collection of individuals, so a plural and a "they", while under US English the team is taken as a single whole, an "it", correct? My own perception also seems to be that Americans are less likely to talk about teams they follow as "we", like "we did well in today's game", though perhaps that's less grammatical and more to do with the heavily franchised nature of American sport. Or my perception's just wrong.

What is wrong with West Coast this season? Talent to boot but they have pitiful so often. Many tipped them for a Premiership in 2013

I don't wanna say it's Woosha, but who knows? Most of the players seem to have lost faith in something, and I don't know if it's him, or this season, or themselves. Certainly there's a bunch of big injuries too, but it just seems to be deeper. It's so frustrating. I want to think that the boys will be out there fighting for a flag next year, all rested up and ready to go, but nothing of late has convinced me that they're anywhere near the best sides right now. I'm just glad Essendon's such a ballsup that it's keeping eyes off of the Eagles' shittiness.

As I understand, it's because under Commonwealth English a team is viewed as a collection of individuals, so a plural and a "they", while under US English the team is taken as a single whole, an "it", correct? My own perception also seems to be that Americans are less likely to talk about teams they follow as "we", like "we did well in today's game", though perhaps that's less grammatical and more to do with the heavily franchised nature of American sport. Or my perception's just wrong.
oh oh yeah, i see what you mean. for example someone would say "my team sucks" even though it should be "my team suck" since a team is a group of people. i don't know about the it vs. we/they but i'm sure americans tend to use it. next time i hear anyone around me talking sports, be it in person or on television, i'll try to pay attention to which pronoun they use. now i'm dying to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom