The 2013 AFL Thread Not Under ASADA Investigation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roos unlikely to be at Lions: Matthews

What a mess. This would be a massive story if not for Essendon.

It seemed to me that the only reason you'd sack Voss, given the Lions' late-season improvement, was because you had a big name signed, sealed and all but delivered. That man was reputed to be Roos, and the new chairman-to-be thinks they're no chance of getting him, and reading between the lines he seems to think sacking Voss was the wrong move.

Seriously, the way Brisbane has treated Voss is just disgraceful.

Wayne Lubdey (HS tog) tweeted that pic earlier today. Great stuff.

Anyway, Talking Footy is back tonight. Bruce, Darcy, Carey and Demetriou are the hosts.

Brings back memories.

art-wbAFLtalkingfooty-620x349.jpg

By the way guys, on Saturday night, at the end of 7's broadcast, BT threw his pen at Richo. I can't really remember why. But it happened. I think Richo was calling him fat or brought up his temper with umpires or something.

Holy shit how did I miss that?!

There was also that hilarious incident a couple of weeks ago where Richo got really annoyed that he kept having to go to the loser's rooms week after week while Lingy got to go to the winner's so he got all huffy on air and refused to go ... only to be followed by a pre-recorded promo about "Lingy and Richo bring you all the news from the team rooms". :lol:

It really is! Richo was all "this is the third week in a row I've had to go to the losers, why does Lingy always get the winner? Nah I'm not going. He can go. I'm not."

I remember you once posted a picture of the Saturday night team sitting together looking very unhappy, as if they all hate each other. You don't still have it or know where it is, do you? It was incredibly funny.

Sanctions announced.

- Essendon will finish ninth this year.
- Fined $2 million, the largest fine ever.
- Stripped of first and second-round draft picks this year and next year.
- Hird banned for 12 months, backdated to August 25 this year (leaving him open to theoretically coach finals in 2014)
- Bomber fined $30k (looks like he'll step in as coach).

Sad, sad day for the sport.

Goodwin to coach.

After all the build up of this it all feels a little bit rushed. I feel sorry for Essendon fans. But I do have to wonder what would have happened if Essendon were already going to finish 9th or lower?

Reid is apparently going to fight the charges against him...?

I feel bad for the players (and the fans obviously). I don't know what to expect from their game against Richmond this weekend, but it's going to be pretty intense.

The one year finishing ninth would've meant making the finals and Richmond go and finish in the eight anyway.

About fucking time. Glad this shit is done with. No need for Hird to coach again, wasn't much chop anyway. Thompson to stay on as coach even after Hird's suspension ends if they know what's good for them.

Now if we finish fifth, we likely play Carlton or North Melbourne, which is not a good thing.

If we finish sixth, we play Port Power at the MCG.

We probably should rest all our key players against the Bummers and be happy to lose. Time to tank?

That said if North win, we still will probably finish higher than Carringbush regardless of what happens against Essendon.

Also, why are Essendon finishing 9th??? Surely they should be 18th if their results are meaningless. Doesn't seem right.

Also, why are Essendon finishing 9th??? Surely they should be 18th if their results are meaningless. Doesn't seem right.

I've seen a number of people speculating that it's to avoid the bookies having to pay out on Essendon getting the wooden spoon.

Honestly I think it's fair enough - this season was clean and the players deserve some reward for an incredibly gutsy season played in the face of considerable hostility and a taxing investigation, rather than being turfed to 18th. Many teams would've completely cracked and just not bothered at all; I've really admired the way the players have still focused on their game. People can say what they will about the coaching staff, medical staff, and club officials, but the players I think deserve some respect for how they have handled themselves.

(Though in fairness it does raise the question of what exactly the AFL would've done if Essendon hadn't made the eight.)

Also, the race for eighth is insane if Port beat Carlton - which is possible given it's not only in Adelaide but will be the last game ever played at Footy Park. I get the impression the ground isn't that fondly loved, but there will still be a sense of occasion.

So if Carlton lose to Port:

Brisbane, amazingly, will be eighth if they beat Geelong (this will also happen if Carlton can only manage a draw). It's incredibly unlikely given the game's at Kardinia, but Brisbane making the finals would further embarrass the board for sacking Voss. Hope the Lions can pull off the improbable like they did in June.

If Brisbane lose, then North Melbourne will be eighth if they beat Collingwood. That's not beyond the realms of possibility. They seem to have largely broken the choking problem and can hold their own with most top eight teams. They recently beat Geelong and only narrowly lost to Hawthorn, both better teams than Collingwood. That said, the Magpies seem to be improving strongly heading into September.

If Brisbane and North both lose, then it comes down to West Coast vs Adelaide. Whichever team wins will be equal with Carlton on points. However, both currently have a weaker percentage than Carlton. The Blues are on 106.99 to Adelaide's 103.7 and West Coast's 99.25. That's not an insurmountable gap though, especially if the victor is Adelaide. So Bonnie and Vlad, one of you may end up playing finals despite the seasons your teams have had!

Carlton better lose because it's going to make these other games really exciting. If Carlton win, then West Coast vs Adelaide is a dead rubber and the other two games are only relevant in deciding exactly where Geelong finishes in the top three and whether Collingwood is fifth or sixth. The Geelong game is played before the Carlton game but the other two are afterwards. What a weekend of footy it might be!

Don't worry, I for one tipped us to lose. Although, really, Port is quite average and any team fighting for their lives should easily bring their A-game for such a match, we are not the kind of team to respond in such a way.

Nonetheless, the Geelong/Brisbane and Port/Carlton doubleheader will be an exciting night for me.

Port is not "quite average", my friend. Particularly when compared with their record in the past five years: 13th, 10th, 10th, 17th and 14th. It's been a remarkable turnaround.

I'm tipping Port to beat Carlton, and weirdly I hope North beats Collingwood so they get the eighth spot - they deserve it, they're the best team outside the eight and could really do some damage in September.

It will either be Carlton or North. No hope for Brisbane, West Coast or Adelaide. We're talking about Brisbane playing at Kardinia Park here. No chance.

Meanwhile, Adelaide has hit back at Demetriou - AFL chief Andrew Demetriou takes a jab at Adelaide Crows over Tippett saga | The Advertiser

Port has certainly showed flashes, but that's all they've been. Their hot start was mirrored by an equally awful skid and after two brilliant scalps, they've gone 4-4. I do believe Carlton can beat them, considering they've done it once already and Port already has a finals spot locked up. They're a young team that hasn't maintained any degree of consistency this season, but clearly they have had more impressive wins than in the past.

The most likely scenario would be for Carlton, Brisbane and North to all lose. That's what everyone on AFL tipping seems to favor. But something tells me it won't happen that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom