*Spoilers* - Rehearsals in Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't understand for the life of me why they don't do a pairing of ASOH-Cedarwood-Bad. That would thematically fit and be absolutely epic.

I don't see how Cedarwood fits with ASOH, thematically and certainly not musically.

I like Cedarwood fine, but putting it next to ASOH would be like pairing a Richebourg with a Big Mac.

I don't see how Cedarwood fits with ASOH, thematically and certainly not musically.

I like Cedarwood fine, but putting it next to ASOH would be like pairing a Richebourg with a Big Mac.

It's A Sort of Homecoming and Cedarwood was his home, get it? And then apparently his home made him want to do heroin, so Bad.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The audio of OSC made it pretty clear it wasn't acoustic.

Yep, I was completely confused by that one and had it listed in multiple categories. Peter recently listed it as acoustic for some reason...maybe there was an acoustic run through of it recently?

Now I know tribute bands are the enemy of art and all... but I've heard a really good one do The Miracle. And that opening riff is very explosive in a live setting. It actually caught me off guard at how great it sounded live, as I'm so so on the song generally.

So I'm going to assume that U2 can provide the same explosion as those who are trying to copy them.

Long story short... I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised by how well The Miracle will work as an opener... especially once they add the lighting and theatrics to it all.

As for the set they did last night... Set 1 I believe had 10 songs and set 2 had 14? Correct me if my math is off...

Either way set 1 was significantly shorter than set 2, which really makes me think that they left a few songs out of set 1 last night for whatever reason.

I agree at The Miracle. I liked the song since the first time I heard it, and never understood why it's not well liked around here. I think it will come off great live (and almost all U2 songs are improved live anyway).

Now I know tribute bands are the enemy of art and all... but I've heard a really good one do The Miracle. And that opening riff is very explosive in a live setting. It actually caught me off guard at how great it sounded live, as I'm so so on the song generally.

So I'm going to assume that U2 can provide the same explosion as those who are trying to copy them.

Long story short... I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised by how well The Miracle will work as an opener... especially once they add the lighting and theatrics to it all.

My opinion on The Miracle as a lead single aside I do agree it can work well as the opener. It's a decent song in my opinion just not lead single material. That guitar riff though is like a punch in the face. It's pretty awesome actually. This was what it sounded like during one of their first performances of it live. It sounds wicked when the guitar kicks in. Much better than the album version so imagine how it can sound now after months of practicing with it. It will work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13VCUB7_4lE

If TGBHF winds up being a regular in the set, I'll be thrilled. Especially if it's full band.

THIS. 99% of my issues with ATYCLB is the shitty songs that made that album when amazing songs like Ground, Stateless, and ES were left off it. I still think someone goofed and put the tracks for Million Dollar on ATYCLB and the MD songs on ATYCLB. :reject:

Yeah that's pretty much the first song mentioned that's really made me exclaim "wow!" not just from surprise but from excitement too.

Otherwise I concur with the general theme that the song selection is baffling. Sure many of these deserve a run, but it's as if the band are intentionally ignoring the fan favourites and deep cuts for which there has been years of sustained clamour and demand.

Has anyone thought that maybe they are just simply REHEARSING songs that need to be run through and the clear fan favorites are the ones they really don't need to practice that much simply because they know them and can pull them out at the drop of a dime?

Eric Clapton Unplugged won the Grammy over Achtung Baby, so U2 knew they must have done something wrong. They lacked that second gear of emotion that unplugged music can offer.

Time to take a rock classic and make it even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtxO1gwbHPQ

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: LET'S GO U2

You do realize that Eric Clapton was showered in Grammys that year because his son had died tragically and the industry had no clue how to react, right? Hell, even Clapton himself was embarrassed to have beated AB for AoTY. It's in the Flanagan book, you know. U2 At The End of The World. If you've never read it, you are seriously missing out. It's practically the U2 bible (and I believe used to be referred to as the Orange Bible back in the day amongst the fans).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

...Has anyone thought that maybe they are just simply REHEARSING songs that need to be run through and the clear fan favorites are the ones they really don't need to practice that much simply because they know them and can pull them out at the drop of a dime...

No. I am sure they are rehearsing every song we can expect to hear on the main stage. There is too much lighting and other cues that need to be worked out before they just play a song for the first time.

With the record number of songs we DO know about, I doubt there will be many "surprise" songs. All the past tour "surprises" were rehearsed before they were played. (YBR, etc...)

Has anyone thought that maybe they are just simply REHEARSING songs that need to be run through and the clear fan favorites are the ones they really don't need to practice that much simply because they know them and can pull them out at the drop of a dime?

So why rehearse One/H-Found/Follow multiple times? 3 songs they could play in their sleep and 3 songs that usually have minimal production cues.

Peter, have they moved over to rogers yet?

The soonest I would expect them at Rogers is tomorrow. There was a show at Rogers last night so between tear down on THAT show and then setting up for U2....I don't know if they'd have enough time to actually rehearse. Besides, Bono probably wants the vocal rest while he can.

My opinion on The Miracle as a lead single aside I do agree it can work well as the opener. It's a decent song in my opinion just not lead single material. That guitar riff though is like a punch in the face. It's pretty awesome actually. This was what it sounded like during one of their first performances of it live. It sounds wicked when the guitar kicks in. Much better than the album version so imagine how it can sound now after months of practicing with it. It will work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13VCUB7_4lE

:up: indeed

They are more than likely not rehearsing at Rogers for a few days. May take a day to set up, but they've been taking weekends off too. They could rehearse in any band space for a few days too - it doesn't have to be in the arena.

I think that The Miracle, musically, is an ok choice, but I have two issues with it:

1 - for the single lightbulb entry they will lose all of the cool zootv style video effects from the Norton show, and

2 - invisible would be better!

I agree it can work though.

U2, just rehearse Acrobat, and we'll all shut up

want.gif

Thematically, The Miracle makes sense as an opener. Not that they're going to stick with a wholly accurate thematic chronology for the entire show, but I can see them wanting to start off the show that way.

Really interesting how secretive they are being. Makes me excited to see what they have in store for us.

And I also agree that Miracle would be a great opener.

I was finally able to see my first U2 tribute band last summer (Elevation), and I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I loved every minute of it. I mainly went so that my son would have a "front row experience" as it was at a small outdoor amp where there was literally only a ticker tape barrier between band and fans. The bonus was that thanks to a couple emails, Lil CK got the vip treatment complete with getting to check out backstage. It was the next best thing to a real U2 show and I will def see them again.

Who'd you see that covered Miracle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom